No announcement yet.

When does a piece of work become craft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does a piece of work become craft?

Hello,
    I am currently a B A (HONS) in Art & Design student and I am writting my dissertation and I would be very grateful for any help?
    My dissertation is on "When does soemthing become craft? or Art?
    If any one can answer my question please do.
    Many thanks
    Robingirl.

If I answered it do I get the degree?
    Cake Toppers http://huntersdesigns.co.uk
    My etsy http://peculiarforest.etsy.com
    My Blog http://peculiarforest.blogspot.com

Comment

Or....
      If we answer it and you fail, will you sue us????
      http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

sounds complicated - i did a degree that sounds very similar....although - are they not the same thing....personally i would take the approach of, you work hard at both, research both, experiement with different materials for maximum effect...both are finished with no right or wrong, which for me is art! maybe a craft can be wrong!?!?!?!!?

does that make sence or am i babbling on! i think i get what i mean...if you dont then email me...ahahahahahahaha!!!!!

sorry for being rubbish with words/english im an artist not a literate!!!!
        ha
        Funky jewellery & Luxury handmade greetings cards www.sunbatheintheshade.com

Comment

How about this...

Crafters spend hours working over something and the financial gain is minimal, whereas artists wake up and go "Dammit, I'll just put my bed in the gallery" and make a mint?

That's actually quite tongue in cheek, please don't take me seriously.

The dictionary definition for "art" uses the word "craft", and vice versa. I would suggest that the main difference is down to...

(a) the perception of the viewer
          (b) the surroundings that the item is found in
          (c) the price tag attached and subsequent inherent value psychologically linked to it
          (d) the role of a 'use' or purpose for the creation, perhaps considered against something that is only aesthetic or decorative with no function.
          (e) the social background that the item is placed in.

Take this for example... Swirly's chickens on a craft stand priced at £10 each.

Or an internationally renowned gallery full of Swirly's chickens looking down a large crack in the floor, priced at several million pounds.

And I didn't even mention chopping one of Swirly's chickens in half and pickling it in two tanks of formaldehyde...

Sounds like my degree all over again now...
          Wood Tattoos
          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
          Facebook
          Flickr
          Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post

Or an internationally renowned gallery full of Swirly's chickens looking down a large crack in the floor, priced at several million pounds.

And I didn't even mention chopping one of Swirly's chickens in half and pickling it in two tanks of formaldehyde...

Sounds like my degree all over again now...
            Hee hee - Swirly scuttles off to find the nearest gallery with a crack in the floor
            Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
            My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
            My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Originally posted by swirlyarts View Post
              Hee hee - Swirly scuttles off to find the nearest gallery with a crack in the floor
              "Oh, no!" - woodtattoos runs off after Swirly as he sees her brandishing a pneumatic drill in the Tate Modern foyer...
              Wood Tattoos
              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
              Facebook
              Flickr
              Twitter

Comment

I'm going to stick my neck out here, having done both sides of the art/ craft coin, but do you think maybe as 'crafters' we might have left a slightly bitter taste in the inquiring mind of a student who only wanted a bit of helpful dialogue?

Comment

I agree with Woodtattoos

I think it's all about the viewer's perception. Anything can be called and an art or craft if the person looking at it is moved to appreciate it. But by the same token, something that was made as a piece of art or craftwork but is not appreciated, may be considered junk.

RH

Comment

Originally posted by Beadsage View Post
                    I'm going to stick my neck out here, having done both sides of the art/ craft coin, but do you think maybe as 'crafters' we might have left a slightly bitter taste in the inquiring mind of a student who only wanted a bit of helpful dialogue?
                    I hope no-one thinks I did! A little tongue in cheek at first but I'm sure that I was offering a valid discussion and example to illustrate my point. I've also done both sides of the art/craft coin as you call it.

Si.
                    Wood Tattoos
                    Facebook
                    Flickr
                    Twitter

Comment

Hmmmm.....

Hi Robingirl,

I was told by Dawson Murray (Lisa might remember him from Boclair...) that 'art is aesthetically beautiful and craft is functional' And that 'crafts are something to seperate the plebs from the artists. True artists are born, but anyone can be a crafter'

I think this was because he loathed me. He, of course was an Artist, I am merely a crafter. I never saw the point of non-functional art at school and I still came away with my Higher (Scottish A Level)

Ah the Poison Dwarf...how he hated me. And I lived to wind him up. Such is the cruel fate of secondary school art teachers....

And I've not got my tongue in my cheek, it might be poor but I hope it helps,

Jules
                      Apple Tree Crafts
                      www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post
                        Hi Robingirl,

I was told by Dawson Murray (Lisa might remember him from Boclair...) that 'art is aesthetically beautiful and craft is functional' And that 'crafts are something to seperate the plebs from the artists. True artists are born, but anyone can be a crafter'
                        I certainly do remember him but thankfully I never had him as a teacher I had Mr Watson and then the infamous Mr Mackie (do you remember that story Jules).

The craft/art difference is a hard one because it is down to the individual I think what one person might see as art another one might see as craft and vice versa!

Cheers.

Lisa
                        Bowed Over
                        Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                        www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Mr Mackie....

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
                          I certainly do remember him but thankfully I never had him as a teacher I had Mr Watson and then the infamous Mr Mackie (do you remember that story Jules).

The craft/art difference is a hard one because it is down to the individual I think what one person might see as art another one might see as craft and vice versa!

Cheers.

Lisa
                          I do remember that. What happened between them? Did they ever get married? Nowadays he'd have been sacked. They made a lovely looking couple, and both very talented.

Mr Watson was ok..I still have a 1" scar across my wrist inflicted by him - never try to attract a pupil's attention with a lino-cutting scalpel in your hand...!!

Jules
                          Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Don't think they ever got married - Conner has Mr Mackie for Art and at last parents evening I told him who I was and what class I had been in - you could literally see the colour draining from his face when he put two and two together and realised what year I had been in!!!

You are right - he is still quite a nice looking man for his age though!! God I really hope he never joins this forum!!!

Hehe.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                            Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                            www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Blimey...

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
                              Don't think they ever got married - Conner has Mr Mackie for Art and at last parents evening I told him who I was and what class I had been in - you could literally see the colour draining from his face when he put two and two together and realised what year I had been in!!!

You are right - he is still quite a nice looking man for his age though!! God I really hope he never joins this forum!!!

Hehe.

Lisa

Sorry Robingirl, we've kinda hijacked your thread. Maybe a mod will move us to the living room....

Is Mr Mackie still there? I'm amazed. I can't mind the girl's name, but I know she was a few years ahead of me. Was it something like Margaret-Anne? I can see her face. She was a talented artist and a great musician because she stood next to me in the choir. I once saw her busking in Buchanan Street.

Jules
                              Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Working...
                              X