Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newby to forum.... help me to sell my creations!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby to forum.... help me to sell my creations!

Hi.... I'm a newby on here and thought I would say hello to my fellow crafters

I live in a small town called Winchcombe in Gloucestershire and make beaded jewellery. I'm having trouble selling my stuff so any ideas would be welcomed

I have done 2 craft fairs so far, one in Exeter (in August) where I sold a total of 3 bracelets and one yesterday in Stow-on-the-Wold where I sold 1 necklace. Am feeling a little disheartened at the mo.

I also have a website which isn't getting many hits.

What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by Debeadz; 21-10-2007, 07:48 PM.
    Debs

My website: www.debeadz.co.uk

My blog: www.debeadz.blogspot.com

In a nutshell...........................selling what everyone else is selling. If you are making beaded jewellery, then make it for YOU - the market is saturated with beaders at the moment...............I know! Selling 3 bracelets and one necklace aint bad at all, I know seedbeaders a long way up the beading skills ladder who are relying on being published, and selling kits to make a living, you won't get rich beading unless you are a name on everyone's lips. Sorry, maybe I'm cynical, but I'm also a beader trying to sell!

edit. I just had a look at your website. You need to expand your range - most of your necklaces are a variation of each other. I would suggest that if you want to sell as a 'beader' you learn some beadweaving techniques, what you call 'seedbeading' is actually 'stringing with seedbeads'. I know this sounds harsh from a complete stranger, but I'm fairly adept at seedbeading, and I'm struggling like anybody else! You really have to be good in this game - I've got a long way to go yet, but I'm working at it, if you're committed so should you - good luck.
    Last edited by Peter; 21-10-2007, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Hi there and im in the forest of dean so not far from you

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It

Comment

hello to you all,

i am near too, just down the road outside Stroud.

i have found that a really good way of getting your stuff noticed is gatecrashing friends "make up / pamper parties" at home, (i am not sure if we are allowed to mention companies so i wont just in case).

i started making jewellery a few months ago and took some of stuff to my sisters house (when she was having a party) and i came away making over £40. it was really useful asking loads of strangers what they thought of my stuff. also - the best thing was when other people were booking parties at the end of the night i asked them if i could go to their party with my jewellery. i have done quite a few now and find that its a good way of getting opinions and selling stuff too.

if you are struggling maybe organise a party yourself then tag onto other parties that are arranged. it will give you a confidence boost!! its also very important that you ask the organisor if you can go too.

also, another top tip is pretty obvious but, try and always wear your stuff as much as you can, i took a load of my stuff to the dr surgery where i live just cos the receptionist noticed and liked my jewellery. i made £35 by just leaving my stuff with them for a week and they have asked me to take it back again before christmas.

the only problem is i keep buying more beads, books and other stuff so i havent actually made a profit yet, but it keeps me from smoking!!!!!!!!

sorry this reply is really long but i hope this helps.

nadia

Comment

Thanks so much for your advice

I think I might give the party thing a go. It won't harm to try anyway!

I am wondering whether to continue with the beaded jewellery thing and maybe try a new craft. I'm just totally addicted to beads and anything associated with beads. Mind you, I'm also addicted to craft shops, so if I try something new i'm sure i'll just get addicted to that too

Does Stroud have any good craft shops? I don't really venture to that side of the county
          Debs

Comment

I usually go to Hobbycraft in Glos cos there are not really many shops in Stroud, there is one shop which is a sewing shop but does stock beads too.

I went to Bath on Friday and popped into Bijoux Beads - i would have stayed there all day but my boyfriend was outside so i had to leave bead heaven! That was fantastic.

I have been told that there are lots of places in Bristol too - Shiney Rocks and St Nicholas market is also supposed to be good.

Also, in one of the magazines i bought recently there was an advert for a bead fair and that was near Cheltenham - i will check it out and let you know when and where it is. I think its in Nov sometime but may be worth a look.

Nadia

Comment

There's the rock 'n' gem show at Cheltenham racecourse on 10 & 11 Nov which is also the same weekend as the Hobbycraft show at the NEC.

Oh joy! 2 shows to visit and spend money at
              Debs

Comment

and hello from me!

Good luck with the gatecrashing of parties

Comment

hello again!!!

i have managed to find another bead fair on the 11th Nov at a place called Uckington Village Hall near Cheltenham, i have no idea where that is thou.

i am gatecrashing a party tomorrow night so i need to try and sort out all my stuff and make a bit more - fingers crossed people will have lots of money to spend!

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Good luck with the party tonight. Post a thread on here tomorrow and let us all know how it went!
                    Debs

Comment

just to say hello!
                      knitted food that look good enough to eat!!
                      www.trulyscrumptiousknittedfood.co.uk

Comment

WELL!!!!

last night was not so good mainly cos there were not many people to sell to, only 4 people turned up and me my friend and her daughter were 3 of them and i had already given them some jewellery, so not so good on the sales front!!! BUT i did come away with some good ideas of places to sell from the party lady - she did say that old peoples homes are a good place to visit as they cant always get out to buy pressies for their family so i may give that a try!!! apparantly they sometimes have christmas fairs and can be quite profitable.............??? Will have to see.

Comment

Working...
                        X