Hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

I am a cognitive science student but I am starting to think that this is not the correct career path for me. I am searching for something that I will enjoy doing and will keep my interest. When I was young I took a pottery class a really enjoyed it. One of the alternatives to cognitive science that I am considering is becoming a potter. Any advice? For example, can anyone tell me what it is like to be a potter? What is a typical day like? What personality types usually enjoy working as a potter? What is employment like in this field? Really anything would be helpful.

I am trying to find the activity that makes me really happy and I will love doing everyday for the rest of my life. I want to thoroughly enjoy my career.

Also, any links to other threads on a similar topic as this would be appreciated.

I can't address the potting stuff, but I think specializing in the research and theories of Noam Chomsky and being an art (any aspect) therapist working with brain damaged individuals of just about any age would be tons of fun!!!

Comment

All kinds/types of people do all kinds of crafts, you cannot fit any one person to a craft, it does not work that way. You have to dicide for yourself what you like doing. e.g. Pottery is messing with wet clay. Good hand eye cordination is needed. A feeling for shapes, colours, a lot of patience and a love of working alone.
      Write down all the stuff you like to look at, like doing, what sort of things you admire in a shop window. do you like clean dry hands when working, or working with tiny fiddly bits, and so on until you can narrow down what you think you would be able to achieve or enjoy doing. It is so important that you get pleasure out of it.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Welcome to the forum
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum...choosing a career is a daunting task if you don't instinctively know what you want to do. I agree that enjoying your job is extremely important, my Dad hates his job and has been counting pay days until he retires in December for as long as I can remember. That is no way to live your life...life's just too short.

Critchley has given you some good advice - list your likes and dislikes, try out various crafts if crafting is the direction you want to take until you find something you want to devote your time to. There are so many crafts out there I'm sure you'll find the one for you...and you'll have fun along the way.

Good luck and happy crafting

Jo xx
          Things to make and do
          Things to make and do's Facebook page
          Michael Lovejoy's Art

Comment

I've made several major career changes in my life and I understand it's hard to find the one thing you can do for the rest of your life. However, unless it's really awful I would suggest you finish the degree (then you've got something to fall back on & you've proved you can stick at something 'til the end), continue with the pottery in your spare time (to see if you really have a flair for it) and do some research at the university careers centre - my guess is that there aren't a lot of jobs advertised for "potters" so you may have to start planning how to set up on your own. The art therapy angle that Cosmic Grannie suggested sounds like a great way to combine the two.
            Good luck whatever happens!

Comment

Working...
            X