Hello from Pennie Jane Creations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Pennie Jane Creations

I've been trying to work on my business for around 7 months - it's very much up and down. I wanted to join a forum to see how other people fair in selling their products. Also if anyone has any tips. I also would like some people, as many as possible, to take a look at what I make and give me your honest opinion. I did a stall at a village fair today, I work solid last week to get things ready, with limited resources! I had a few people take a look but no one bought a thing. I feel quite dispondent about it at the moment - Mod edit - please see 25 post rule.
    Many thanks

Pennie Jane
    Last edited by Critchley; 17-07-2011, 09:56 AM.
    www.penniejanecreations.com

Hi Pennie and to the Crafts Forum.

There are lots of posts on here about people not spending at craft fairs with the recession. Most of what we sell as crafters are luxuries, treats not essentials and are the first things that get cut out when you haven't the money to go around anymore.

You can BTW put your website link in your signature before your 25 posts so people can get to you straight away.

Don't get disheartened. Try doing a search on here for Threads about promoting your business, you should get some good advise from past discussions. If you are serious about making your craft into a viable business you will have to put in a lot of hours regularily promoting your goodies on line, blogging, tweeting, use Craft Juice, facebook etc etc.

Good luck,

Mo.XX
    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.bodrighy.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Thanks, Mo for your reply. Did you manage to have a look at what I make? One thing I did notice yesterday is that Candles are what people are really interested in. I guess I enjoy my art and hoped to sell or make money from it. Scaling down a person's image into a 4" caricature is no mean feat, but, I guess, it's not what people want. I have sold several things by my Facebook page.

I'll have a look at older posts as you suggested, Mo. Thanks x

Comment

Hi and welcome. It's a lot harder than people think - you are starting a business completely from scratch as well as making everything yourself. Hard work but worthwhile (mostly!).

Do please put a link in your signature and we will take a look at your website.

To sell online without a big budget, you need to spend a lot of time building up links and connections: I can highly recommend blogging!

Also, if you're not doing it already, start tweeting & facebooking and just generally get involved. There's a whole community for you to join and get info & support from.

Good luck x
        digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
        blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
        hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
        blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

Thanks Wendy - I've sorted my signature, let's hope it works!

Comment

Wow, Wendy, just been look at your website - puts mine to shame, a tad amateurish!!!

How long have you been trading? Do you survive solely from your business? Have you learned alot along the way?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks xx

Comment

Just like to echo what's been said above about not getting miserable and thinking your work is at fault. Times are bad and people just aren't spending at the moment no matter what craft you make.
              http://www.scrumptioustextiles.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks - it's sinking in, slowly!

Out of interest, have you seen what I make? Just wanna get an opinion from other people ... I know my friends can be biased and I want some real objective opinions.

PJC

Comment

I think that all the above threads reinforce my believe that making crafts and selling crafts are two entirely different things.
                  To be successful in selling your crafts you must try maximise all revenue sources. That means fairs, exhibitions and online selling.
                  You need to ask yourself really honest questions such as is my craft sellable.And how much is it worth? That may seem daft but if you are selling a craft at a small price and it is not selling then it may not be saleable.
                  Online selling is the great hope for all crafts but without creating a niche in the market it is hard to sell.
                  If you wish to sell then separate your creative mind from the business mind and coldly look at what you are creating and where and how you can sell it.
                  If you get it right then the selling will be as enjoyable as the creating.

Comment

Originally posted by martinlynch View Post
                    You need to ask yourself really honest questions such as is my craft sellable.And how much is it worth? That may seem daft but if you are selling a craft at a small price and it is not selling then it may not be saleable.
                    Most craftspeople start from the 'making' end, and then decide to sell their work. This is logical from an artistic point of view, because we all 'create' initially from our own personal inspirations, and for pure enjoyment.

Business people, on the other hand, work the other way round. They do loads of market research, find out what is already selling well, find out what people want, work out all their costings, profit forecasts etc., and then and only then start the process of creating / manufacturing.

If we're happy to make stuff for our own pleasure and satisfaction, and can sell surplus stocks to others who happen to like what we do, that to me is the ideal outcome for the 'hobby' crafter.

If you want to start a proper craft business (in the true sense of the word) then you have to get out into the marketplace and do lots of research and be prepared to make stuff that other people want (not necessarily what you like making).

For several years in the 80s and early 90s we lived from the profits of our pottery (couldn't do it these days) but at no time would we have considered ourselves a proper 'business' for the reasons I've mentioned above.

The bottom line is, however much we love what we do, there's no guarantee that others will do so. In these straightened times, as has already been said, people are very wary of spending on anything other than essentials.
                    Kate
                    www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X