Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Soap Maker - need some help!!!

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself..new to this forum!

Wondered if there are any experienced soap makers about? I am having a go at making homemade soap and just about got my head around where I can get my supplies from.

I just don't have a clue about percentages and calculation and Lye and water combinations and weight and all the rest of it....

It's really scaring me since I don't want to get it wrong and even if I do follow someone elses recipe, they tell me to put it through a lye calculator (WHAT?? lol)

SO CLUELESS.

Please help

Thanks

Sambo

Oh dear,

anyone?

Comment

You could try this http://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Thanks Jane,

It's just trying to figure out how I know if there is too much lye etc.

Comment

Hi Welcome to the forum, 'Im new to the hobby aswell!! I found it all very confusing so went on a soap boot camp with soap school in february, they were very knowlegable and i had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend, although found cold process making alittle daunting so went into melt and pour and have recently obtained some fantastic results!! Good luck with your new adventure,
          Regards
          Kellie

Comment

If we knew roughly where in the Country you live perhaps someone could recommend some tuition if thats the way you would like to go.
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Hello,

For the calculator, try soapcal.net - but it seems to be down tonight so best try again later. You pop in the amount of oils and butters, say 1000g, then go down the list adding the oils you want to use, and either add the % or the grams, then view recipe and you will see atable that rates the soap recipe you just entered. Cleansing, moisturising, etc. One thing is hardness too, you really don;t want a mushy bar of soap.

the trick to to keep playing away and see what you think looks good, and make a small batch, say 600gs and see how that works, then change little by little til you get the recipe you want (and the best ones don;t always have all the fancy oils
              Website
              Facebook

Blog

Comment

Working...
              X