Halٍ, Ciamar a tha sibh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halٍ, Ciamar a tha sibh?

Ok so I don't really speak Scottish Gaelic but I bet you clicked to find out what kind of loony types gibberish on a forum title.

Well it says: Hello, How are you?

A little about us.
    Hi,
    Handy Woodcrafts are a Scottish based husband and wife team (Donna & Drew) who work from a couple of cold sheds in the garden in Coatbridge (8 miles from Glasgow). We make a range of different items ranging from bespoke garden items, Wood turning and house signs to name a few things we do.

Donnas main focus is in wood turning and is very proud of her acheivments and standard of finish. She has only been turning wood for about 6 months and is self taught, watching hours of you tube videos has given her a knowledge that I would say surpasses Drews in the art of turning wood. Her background was in Insurance underwriting and after the birth of our second child she went to college and then onto university where she acheived a BA in Business Informaton Managment.

Drew is a general all rounder who has a background in woodworking, only having an o'level in design and woodworking and having no further qualifications as a joiner cabinetmaker etc. Although he does have a lot of practical knowledge and on the job experience which he see's as being as valuable as any bit of paper. Drew spends most of his time now making garden objects, house signs, and larger bowls on the lathe, he does like to work with rotten wood and has been known to lose more than 1 or 2 items due to this.
    Over the past 20 years he has been in sales enviroments selling items ranging from shoes, pine furniture (inc construction) to top of the range Landrovers and Jaguars and feels that this may come in "handy" when marketing our products. Redundancy has brought this change in direction but we believe we have the qualities to take on this challenge.

Thanks for reading the waffle.
    Donna & Drew

Posted by Drew
    Last edited by HandyWoodcrafts; 18-11-2010, 12:49 AM.
    Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
    our Facebook page
    follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Welcome from another woody crafter. You have the advantage over me as I only have one cold shed and hate selling even though I have to do it LOL.

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

Tha gu math, tapadh leibh. Tha i fuar an-diugh, eh?

:-)

Francesca
      * BLOG * WEB * FACEBOOK * TWITTER *
      Watch faces, Crystal Innovations sliders and much more

* Rome wasn't built in a day - although that was the builders original estimate *

Comment

Will you accept an english to the crafts forum. Lots of luck with the new venture. Mo.XX
        Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
        Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
        www.bodrighy.co.uk
        https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthistle View Post
          Tha gu math, tapadh leibh. Tha i fuar an-diugh, eh?

:-)
          That means " Very well, thanks - Its cold today, eh ? "

and to the forums as well :-)

Francesca
          * BLOG * WEB * FACEBOOK * TWITTER *
          Watch faces, Crystal Innovations sliders and much more

* Rome wasn't built in a day - although that was the builders original estimate *

Comment

Tha gu math, tapadh leibh!

I don't speak it really, just a few words and phrases here and there that I learned when I lived in the Highlands for 7 years.

Welcome!
            Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
            http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
            http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

Heavens to Betsy!

Welcome! There are a lot of people on here who have taken to their love of crafting and art, because of being laid off. (That's American for being made redundant.) So, you'll meet a lot of friends here!

ummm, speaking it's one thing...spelling it's another! Nothing is spelled the way it's pronounced, or pronounced the way it's spelled! My only word is "ceilidh." I learned it in a movie called Local Hero.
              Last edited by removed10; 17-11-2010, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I did think it was going to be a whole post in some random language to begin with!!

Croeso i forum (thought I throw in some Welsh to rival your gaelic!
                View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Thanks for all the welcomes and in any language its much appreciated.

I hope to be able to participate on the forums regularly but on a time permitting basis.

Drew
                  Last edited by HandyWoodcrafts; 18-11-2010, 01:03 AM.
                  Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
                  our Facebook page
                  follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Comment

Working...
                  X