Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To glue or not to glue? A sticky question?!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To glue or not to glue? A sticky question?!!

Hello

I'm Rachel, I make peg dolls. Teeny replica Queen Elizabeths and Queen Victorias, and the occasional bespoke bride. As I'm new to this type of crafting I've joined the forum to try and pick up some hints and tips from the experts. Can anyone tell me what general crafting 'etiquette' is on gluing fabrics?
    Rachel
    More here:
    Sensible website: www.rachelduffield.blogspot.com
    Blog: www.whatqueeniedidnext.blogspot.com
    Also on Facebook and Twitter (@whatqueeniedid)

No idea on gluing fabrics - but to the forums am sure someone more helpful will be along soon

Good luck and looking forward to seeing some of your work

Francesca
    * BLOG * WEB * FACEBOOK * TWITTER *
    Watch faces, Crystal Innovations sliders and much more

* Rome wasn't built in a day - although that was the builders original estimate *

Comment

aww your dolls sound very cute!
      I guess as long as you were careful and glue didn't get everywhere it would be ok. Depends if you are good at doing teeny tiny sewing instead.
      http://handcraftedbykayleigh.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm ok at teeny tiny sewing but teeny gluing is so much faster!
        Rachel
        More here:

Comment

Thank you for your welcome! This looks like fun! (Although I do seem to be using far too many exclaimation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
          Rachel
          More here:

Comment

Are you asking about whether it is looked down upon to use glue? I suppse someone who sews them might...but honestly, if they're that small (pegs) and it is done well, I personally think gluing is fine. But I am no expert. Just opinionated. =D

If you're asking about what glue - maybe Fabri-Tac Permanent Fabric Adhesive ?? But I don't think that's the question really...just trying to cover all bases.

I cannot wait to see your dolls! They sound wonderful! Welcome to the forum - hope you have a lot of fun here!

Comment

Welcome to the forum from me too, I'm also looking forward to seeing the dolls they sound very unusual

cj
              www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
              Become a facebook fan
              Check out my blog

Comment

Hi Rachel

Welcome from me as well - can't wait to see your peg dolls, they sound really interesting

Diane x

Comment

Are the dolls just for your own pleasure?
                  If yes, read no further and throw yourself into making them.

If no, here comes the downer. Are these toys? And are you going to sell them? You need to get over to Business Link and read the EU laws regarding dolls.
                  http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...mId=1084731645

or better still start here and explore the links
                  http://online.businesslink.gov.uk/bd...xpression=toys

It might occur to you to say they are ornaments....but Mr Trading Standards Man says "If it looks like a toy, it is a toy."

Don't be put off. You can take responsibility for what you make (have you got product liability insurance?), print off your own CE lables and I feel you might be sewing.

If you are going Arghhhhhhhh or Whaaaaaaaa at this point, don't. Talk to us and we'll guide you through it. Or do a bit of searching on this forum. We've all been there and are wearing our red tape T shirts with pride.

Glues:
                  Copydex is what is usually recomeded for fabrics but it stinks.
                  Schools use PVA. OK but I can pull it apart.
                  I find the UHU, Bostik, Evostick family of glues pretty robust. They do seep through fabric though.
                  The glue gun stuff is used on some things I buy in but it's rigid and the bits it's supposed to be holding can ping off.

Comment

Wow ! Thank you so much for all this helpful stuff! I am hoping to sell them. Its a bit late to plough through EU legislation tonight (it's after 11pm) but I'll get on to it straight away in the morning. Once again, thanks xx
                    Rachel
                    More here:

Comment

By the way I am going to sell them, but as kits to make your own...does that still count as a toy?!
                      Rachel
                      More here:

Comment

Working...
                      X