Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some good ideas, any help welcome.

Hiya,

My name is kelly, Ive been making jewlery for sometime now and giving it for presents and managed to get a few orders from friends of friends....Ive decided to take it to the next level and so I went to a craft fair but I didnt sell anything, feeling really down and just want to know if anyone has any pointers on what fairs, fetes etc I should try and also about how to display my item.

Thanks so much

Kelly
    Kelly

www.sweetpea-designs.co.uk
    [email protected]

Hi kelly

Welcome to the forum! Dont be dismayed about your first fair. Craft fairs can be very hit and miss depends on footfall and ultimately if the people through the door want to buy which in the current climate I would say more come for a look rather than to buy sounds harsh but believe this to be true.

My advice sound out any craft fairs you want to attend are they purely craft or craft and gift? if they are the latter are there any stalls selling jewellery! As the organiser done this event before -what was the footfall and feedback from the stall holders at this event - if they will disclose! Above all Take every caft fair on the chin work out if you can afford it even if you dont make a sale on the day and my other advice is to treat is as marketing have lots of bus cards leaflets available and when the friendly passer by smiles make sure they leave with someway of contacting you in the future. Sounds ruthless but people dont mind a bus card or leaflet and dont see it too much as an invasion of space had better result after fairs than during so may be worth trying.

Heres to a properous future!!!!

Cheryl
    Cheryl

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Befascinated/118463183977

Comment

Hi Kelly

I have been selling since February and have had a few bad sales days. I did a school fete and took a lot of children's bracelet kits, but didn't sell one and yet a shop I sell in has sold out of them.
      Don't let one bad day get you down....just keep at it.

Good luck.

http://eiledon.co.uk

http://eiledonworkingfromhome.blogspot.com

Comment

Oops, forgot to say that I have done a ladies pamper day and only did a small amount of sales, but had lots of leaflets out with my website details etc.
        I now have a bride whose sister saw my jewellery and tiaras etc and am doing everything for her wedding, so I would put lots of flyers out advertising your website and you might get more sales at a later date!

http://eiledonworkingfromhome.blogspot.com

Comment

Keep your pecker up as they say - Jewellery is a very touchy feely kind of thing and people like to see what they are buying just because they didn't buy on the day doesn't mean they wont come back at a later date and maybe purchase something. I always see an upturn in web traffic and orders after fairs and shows so the marketing value of getting leaflets and business cards directly in the hands of the people who might in the future purchase from me is invaluable

Loads of luck for the future

Francesca
          * BLOG * WEB * FACEBOOK * TWITTER *
          Watch faces, Crystal Innovations sliders and much more

* Rome wasn't built in a day - although that was the builders original estimate *

Comment

Hi Kelly

Don't get too down hearted. I agree with the others in that fairs can be hit or miss but always a great opportunity to get some of your marketing cards out to people. I would recommend getting a website set up and with things like MrSite and Create you can do this easily enough without much expense - you just need to make sure your pictures to look good and then you have a point of contact for customers to refer back to and possibly repeat purchase from you. Also get loads of cards and/or postcards printed up. Vistaprint are a great way to do this as if you don't mind the daily emails they bombard you with you can pick up loads of offers and in many cases get things printed and only pay for P&P.

Have you also considered doing jewellery parties - you could maybe rope a few friends in to help get you started but if they invite work colleagues etc it should get you and your jewels in front of new people who may well then book you for more parties. One of the ladies I sell my beads to does really well out of parties and as she leaves her card with all the people at each party she's started to see an increase in hits and repeat purchases on her website.

Also I would go and put cards in every local beauticians and hairdressers shop you know of. I always sit and have a mooch through these when i'm waiting for an appointment.

Wishing you lots and lots of luck, you will have times when it's a hard slog but let all the up times should spur you on and inspire you.

x
            Luby

Beadelicious
            Be Bold - Be Beautiful - Beadelicious
            Give us a shout - [email protected]

Comment

Welcome to the forum Kelly! I agree with the others, not to let it get you down

My dad was a lovespoon carver for years, and always says to me - you might not sell anything at a few of them, but people tend to remember you! Especially if you make pretty business cards!

However, my first craft table isn't until October - and I know if I don't sell a thing I'm going to be just as upset lol! So you're not on your own :P
              www.morgannacraft.co.uk
              Facebook fan page!

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has replied its good to hear the good and bad strories, I have a website being build but I am struggling with the photos - I dont have a good camera and the items are so small that the quality isnt great. Looked into a good camera but they are 'great' big prices, Im sure there isnt but anyone any quick fix ideas on photos? Or a cheaper camera that can be suggested.

Thanks

kelly
                Kelly

www.sweetpea-designs.co.uk
                [email protected]

Comment

Hi Kelly

My digital camera is quite old (and a bit bashed) but I found it does the job after playing around with the settings. I found that laying my beads or jewellery onto a large piece of pure white card (pref A3) with lights directly overhead, you can get cheap desk lamps for about £5 from Argos. I then used the Macro setting on my camera to take the shots.

Next when I view them on my computer I right click on the image before opening it and choose 'Open With' and select Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I then whiten up the background using the enhance colour button and can crop the image and reduce the overall memory size of it by compressing it to web format so it'll open up on your website quickly.

Hope this helps and good luck
                  Luby

Beadelicious
                  Be Bold - Be Beautiful - Beadelicious
                  Give us a shout - [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                  X