New member - Please HELP!!!! Painting and china

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member - Please HELP!!!! Painting and china

Hi I'm doing a village show selling my baby products and have decided to do 'paint your own plate' as an added attraction. I have white china plates and need to know which paint to use that will stay on and be safe for children 3+ . They will not be for eating off but just to hang on a wall - please help me!!!!!!!!!!! Is it ok just to use childrens paint?
    First Impressions Last
    www.impala-impressions.co.uk

Sorry i can't help as i haven't got the first clue with paints, but welcome to the forum.
    Emma
    Luxury craft supplies & magnolia Stamps - Sassy Crafts
    Sassy Crafts Blog
    My Blog

Comment

Nice to meet you,

sorry, I can not be of some help to you.
      MOD EDIT.........WHY POST THEN?
      Last edited by Peter; 11-05-2007, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Good morning....There are lots of paints on the market you can use with china and glass but most are not suitable to use with young children.
        Some need to be fired after or put through your oven.
        Others are simply not child friendly.

A friend of mine has a day nursery and they do this kind of thing...If there ONLY to go up on the wall and NOT to be eaten off they mix PVA glue with simple poster paint.

Hope this helps.
        Debbie
        www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Contemporary glass fusion designs - sculptures - wall panels - functional items - outdoor sculptures. We also run Silver & Glass workshops here in Cheshire - kiln space also offered.

Comment

zebra please help more!

Hi again, thanks for your reply. Could you give me some indication of quantities to mix the pva glue and normal poster paint? Thanks this is really helpful and the parents will be given a notice with safety advice and told they are NOT to be eaten off but put on the wall.
          First Impressions Last

Comment

Thanks

Hi to all who responded and welcomed me to the forum. I am just starting my own business mainly doing lifecasting which I am trained in and doing in my local area.
            First Impressions Last

Comment

Welcome..interested in your lifecasting...sounds fab look forward to seeing some of your work.

Just called nursery mate...they mix 2 3rds paint to 1 3rd pva..they use it on windows too.
              Yes, I think a note to parents would be a good idea...don't want Henry or Lucy loo with a blue tongue!
              Debbie
              www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Contemporary glass fusion designs - sculptures - wall panels - functional items - outdoor sculptures. We also run Silver & Glass workshops here in Cheshire - kiln space also offered.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum from me too!! No clue about paint though.

Cheers,

Lisa

Bowed Over
                Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Hi Welcome
                  and if these are just for decotation and not for eating you can use any acrylic paint tubes to paint on glazed china.

Use thick strokes. Mix less water that means. I have painted that way on glazed tiles and it came out really great.

It stays just like that unless you scratch it with some hard tool , like knife etc.

I hope it helps.

Thanks

Mary
                  https://printthistoday.com

Comment

thanks everyone - never used a forum before but it is great

Thanks for all your nice comments and welcomes and thanks for advice given - I really do appreciate it.
                    First Impressions Last

Comment

Hi,

I would be careful doing this as children will think that because they have painted a plate, they can eat their dinner from it. Especially so if they have been to a paint your own pottery event or party before.

There are ceramic paints out there that you can bake in the oven, but I do not know if these are foodsafe or whether they are suitable for use by children as I have never used them (I only use speciality glazes and underglazes).

The other side you need to consider is if you are using acrylic paints, these do not wash out of clothing. If it's a show, the children are not necessarily going to be wearing the old clothes. So suitable protection would be needed in the way of aprons.

If you seriously want to do pottery painting, my advice would be to ensure that you have the best materials available and a kiln to fire them in.

Have you considered tiles instead of plates? These can be purchased very cheaply from B&Q or any DIY shop. They look fantastic with acrylic paint and you don't run the risk of a law suit after they have tried to use them for dinner!
                      Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Comment

thansk for help

Caroline, can you use the simple poster paint mixed with a bit of PVA glue as zebra suggested. Acrylic paint is very expensive and I want to do it as cheaply as possible so I can charge parents of children about 2/3 quid as these shows are so expensive with their bouncy castles at 3.00 per 10 minutes etc etc! What a fantastic idea though - tiles I really hadn't thought of that. please let me know about the paint.
                        First Impressions Last

Comment

Poster paint would be ideal. It just means if they get it on there clothes it's easy to wash out and kiddie friendly too.

Tile's are a good idea too like caroline said...and cheap as chips.

Debbie
                          www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Comment

Many thanks Debbie

Thanks Debbie - I am on my way to B & Q now!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then to ELC to get the paints

Thank you so much for all your help - I really do appreciate it and am so glad I have found this forum - it helps to know that I really am not alone!
                            xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                            First Impressions Last

Comment

Hi again,

I suggest your practise using the PVA method as I'm not convinced. PVA would sit on top of the surface and would very easily come off .... all the card crafters will appreciate this when they've gone to their craft glue and found it all stuck around the bottle ... it peels off so easily.

Regarding acrylic paint ... I use a company called crafty devils for my acrylic paint (I use this with kids on novelty items that I make). I purchase the large 500ml bottle multi pack of 10 colours which go a long long way - I've done 5 events with a minimum of 50 kids at each events and mine are still over 3/4 full!!. They work out at £3.20 per bottle (I think that price is plus VAT, I can't remember now) which is probably the same price as purchasing small bottles.

Their delivery prices were very reasonable and I received them very quickly.

www.crafty-devils.com

Hope this is of some help to you.
                              Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X