Howdy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy

My name's Bryan, and I'm from Ireland. I'm currently teaching in Bangkok, Thailand. This is my third year here (and with the looks of the economy back home I'll be here awhile).

My first year at the school I did Science for 9-12 year olds. My second year I did English, Math, and Science for 9-10 year olds. Now, in my third year I'm teaching English for 9-12 year olds, and Art for 9-15 year olds.

I'm the first to admit that I'm not the most qualified person to teach Art. I've no qualification even remotely related to Art. In my principal's own words I'm "creative" and that's why she made me Art teacher this year. If you worked in Thai schools for awhile, this mentality might make more sense to you.

I'm doing my best. I was never a great artist...and I still firmly believe that I can't do life drawing to save my life and half of my personal projects end in failure. But, I loved Art at school. Despite my lack of natural ability, I did it all the way until I left.
    I was always better at the design elements. Luckily I had a fantastic teacher for my last few years in secondary. He realised where my strength lay and encouraged me to work on Craft projects as well as stuff like Stage Set & Design, or Film Studies.

As I said, I'm doing my best. Almost everything I'm doing with my students is stuff my various Art teachers did with me over the years.

Unfrtunately, these remembered projects are running out.

So, if you see me asking for help in one of the forums...please give me a hand
    "Yes! We put the brick on the pedal!"

aboard... you should find plenty of tips and help here!

Si.
    Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

Comment

Hi & to the forum
      www.cardsforewe.co.uk

Comment

to the forum!

Emma.
        Paperbuzz
        Adding a little magic to your celebrations

www.noths.com/paperbuzz

Comment

Hi and
          Emily

Hand Carved Rubber Stamps by Skull and Cross Buns
          Etsy Folksy Twitter Facebook

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum, loads of friendly faces around to give hints and tips both to you and take hints from you, if you ever want to impart some of your knowledge back on us it would be wicked.

How is Thailand at the mo, I'm meant to be going in December.
            Mike

My attempt at something beautiful
            Beads
            Photography
            T-Shirts
            WhatWillHappen

Comment

nice to see you here.
              Carol
              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

to the forum.

Caroline
                silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
                bespoke handmade jewellery
                Silver Jewellery blog
                Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

Howdy Brian, from Texas! You should try googling art for homeschoolers - google it in the US - I don't know how you do that exactly...but you should find tons of art lesson plans that would give you some direction and ideas. I will look through my frighteningly numerous bookmarks and pm you with the urls of a few really good ones.

A lot of these actually are not just at homeschooler sites, but for public and private school teachers looking for ideas.

Comment

I sent you a private message with a good url for starting.

Comment

Rico,

Thailand's fine right now...though it's rain season at the moment. If you've seen any of that nonsense on the news about the protests don'r worry about it. It's just two gangs of thugs who don't know what they want but enjoy beating the hell out of each other.

That's all they do...I'm living 10mins from one of the airports they "occupied" last Novemeber and didn't see any trouble.
                      "Yes! We put the brick on the pedal!"

Comment

to the forum!
                        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Originally posted by wuh2k View Post
                          Rico,

Thailand's fine right now...though it's rain season at the moment. If you've seen any of that nonsense on the news about the protests don'r worry about it. It's just two gangs of thugs who don't know what they want but enjoy beating the hell out of each other.

That's all they do...I'm living 10mins from one of the airports they "occupied" last Novemeber and didn't see any trouble.
                          Thats wicked news, I think we just get such a blown out view in the media here. Thanks and welcome again.
                          Mike

My attempt at something beautiful
                          Beads
                          Photography
                          T-Shirts
                          WhatWillHappen

Comment

Hiya and
                            was going to suggest you look at the 'easy sunsets' post - but then realised it was you who posted it! lol
                            Nicola

My Webpage (finally finished - ish!) www.thejewellerygirl.co.uk

My Blog: http://thejewellerygirl.blogspot.com/
                            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Je...0585549&ref=nf
                            Folksy: http://www.folksy.com/shops/TheJewelleryGirl

So many beads................so little time!

Comment

Hi &
                              Sarah

Comment

Working...
                              X