Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello you crafty lot

Hi everyone,

My name is Claire (AKA StrawberryMangoes). I'm in my mid 20s and live in South Herts with my partner and our two cats (Sooki and Toto).

I have always been into making things (I get it from my grandad who makes steam engines and paints) and have been lucky enough to have work displayed in various places (made part of a quilt that went around the world) and a section of a huge wooden sculture that now (I think) hangs in Milton Keynes Hospital with the artist Leslie Bonner.

I dabble in the odd bit of wood carving, although it is not really a strenght of mine - I struggle to find much useful guidance on the topic to be honest. Plus I don't have enough room at home for a proper workshop to keep lots of expensive complicated tools - if i did...one can dream!

I decided a little while ago that I would start making things to sell (don't worry - I'm not advertising (I've read the rules), so won't tell you the name of my online shop), so have really got into dress making, making leather bracelets, bunting, paper craft (inc. jewellery) and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting at the moment.

I've joined this site to seek out like minded individuals.

I would like to hear more about craft fairs in this area (or Bucks - I'm from Milton Keynes orginally).

I'd also like to get back into painting and would like to better my dress making skills. Finding out more about leather working (how on earth does one go about bunishing leather?) and possibly finding out how to make more time in the day would be great (I'm a part time crafter - evenings and weekends)!

If anyone can point me in the direction of threads/posts or websites that would be very useful (not ones full of jargon though - I've already found lots of those - like banging your head against a wall!).

Oh and before I forget (and to make this post, super long) I'd like to find a good tutorial on reading dress patterns! Its all greek to me - I'm making it up as aI go along at the moment.

Cheerio for now,

Claire

Hi Claire

There are lots of multi crafters here and lots who spe******e in one or areas, so you find it covers the lot!

Welcome and enjoy!
    Rach

Facebook
    Website
    Blog
    Folksy

Comment

hello and welcome

regarding a tutorial for reading dress patterns - have you had a look at local courses on dressmaking? I did a short course (12 weeks or so) run by my local council in the community centre, it covered all the basics like, setting up sewing machine (prob not needed for you but I needed it), how to decipher and read a pattern, and we went right through and made a garment from a dress pattern (I made a simple shift dress for one of my girls), they even showed us how to trace a pattern so it can be reused in all the different sizes, only cost about £50 for the entire course too..

Might be worth looking into

jan x
      www.simplyisis.co.uk

www.purplesnailevents.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Jan

Hey Jan,

thats not a bad idea - I'll have a look see if the local college does one (although I'll have to wait until September for the courses to start again).

I'm okay at reading the simpler ones, its the ones with all the little symbols on that baffles me.

Does anyone know of anything good on the web that I can gander at in the mean time?

Cheers

Comment

Hi Claire, and welcome.

You tube is good for learning how to do things, but , like you, I wish they did a video on how to make more hours each day.
          Celia
          I can't be creative and tidy too
          www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
          The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
          Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the forum from me
            Diane
            Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Hi Claire and welcome to the forum

Don't assume all classes will start in September!

I work for a college, and short courses like the one you're looking for are starting all the time, including now and over the summer hols, as long as the tutors are willing to run them.

I guess most colleges operate in a similar way.

Best wishes
              digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
              blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
              hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
              blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

Hi & in, glad you found us
                Sarah

Comment

nice to see you here. I am almost sure that we have already had a thread on dressmaking patterns and understanding them a few months ago I will do a search and see what I can come up with.

Found this thread, see if it is any good.
                  www.craftsforum.co.uk/member.php?u=33188
                  Last edited by Critchley; 17-06-2009, 06:41 PM.
                  Carol
                  God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Courses

hi Wendy,

Oh I only said that because the local college (I say local - its spread across the whole of herts) sent around a time table of classes - Feb or Sept start dates on their classes.

I did see another site that was great for how to vids (used it to find out how to bind a book) - video jug or something like that. Also expert village.

You lot are all so welcoming Looking forward to talking with you more in the coming months/years :0

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum

Debbie &
                      Tigger, Sandy, Lola, BB (the four cats)
                      www.beadservice.net
                      On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

to the forum!!
                        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Working...
                        X