New at this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New at this

Hi there. I've just started clay modeling at home and could do with some advice. I've made a mushroom out of gedeo non - firing clay and i would like it to go in the garden but need to know how to seal it. I was also assuming it wont be frost resistant is this right? It drying now and a crack has appeared round where the top joins it goes right down the the wooden 'skeleton' underneath. I'm thinking that next time not using wood as a base as it seems to be being affected by the wet and maybe warping as it dries out (causing or worsening the crack). I think im going to let it dry out totaly and just do a filling repair. What do you think? thanks aracana
    Last edited by aracana; 09-03-2009, 11:52 PM.

nice to see you here. Sorry I can't help, not my craft but there are several members who are more than qualified to help you.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Hi & Welcome
      Sarah

Comment

I think the clue is in the name!

Not sure about this product Gedeo non firing clay but I think the clue is in the name! I suspect this is a clay that is mixed with some fine nylon fibres which makes it marginally more robust when dry but it is still clay and will never be weather resistant.
        May I respectfully suggest if you want to make things for your garden you sign up to a class were they are happy to fire to Stoneware this makes the clay truly weatherproof and you would get a lot of advice on how to overcome you're piece from cracking.
        Hope this helps
        Robin
        www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Ref your wooden skeleton. The clay will shrink on drying by approx 12% the wood wont shrink thus the clay cracks around the wood. Try using kebab skewers wrapped in a bit of paper if you need support which you can remove as the clay stiffens
          www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Hi

Sorry I can't help with your query this time.

Jane
            www.just-soaps.com
            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
            FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Hi and to the forum.
              I don't work with that type of clay so unable to offer any advice but hope you get it sorted and would be lovely to see a picture of it.

Pauline
              Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Hi and from me as well
                Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
                my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
                my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks toppotter

Thanks that seems about right there are more cracks this morning do you think i should try to fill it now or wait till it drys totaly and fill it once i know the extent of the dammage. Luckily they are not on the cap yet but im watching it carefully! This is my first pice so was fully expecting a steep learning curve.

Originally posted by toppotter View Post
                  Ref your wooden skeleton. The clay will shrink on drying by approx 12% the wood wont shrink thus the clay cracks around the wood. Try using kebab skewers wrapped in a bit of paper if you need support which you can remove as the clay stiffens

Comment

hi

Hello and

I have never used non firing clay, there are places that you can take your finished product into and they can fire it for you.
                    I'm a happy scrapper, always looking for more friends to scrap with

www.scrapaway.toddlebabes.co.uk
                    www.janetslittleplace.blogspot.com

Comment

Personally, I would put this one down to experience and start again.

Personally, I would put this one down to experience and start again.
                      Filling cracks in clay is usually heartbreaking, as the soft clay you use to fill the original crack shrinks and you end up with another crack.
                      www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Welcome and good to see you.
                        Summer is here!!!
                        Anthology27

http://www.anthology27.etsy.com
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

to the forum, I hope you manage to get your problem sorted. I can't help, I'm a paper kind of person.
                          View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Hi & from Sara x
                            www.cardsforewe.co.uk

Comment

Hello and welcome,

I agree with toptopper with regards your clay problems, give this one up and start afresh. Again if you are going for outside you will either have to use clay which is fired to make it waterproof or, if you want to continue with non-fire you will have to let it dry completely and then coat at least three times all over with yacht varnish, you will have to make sure you do a thorough job though as any slight miss and the water will get in to your clay and soften it again.

Good luck.
                              Diane
                              Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Working...
                              X