No announcement yet.

New to jewellery making, advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to jewellery making, advice needed!

Hi,

I am new to jewellery making and have a few good books which have suggested essential tools and a couple of projects. I have been reading that its best not to buy cheap tools. Does anyone have a particular brand they use? E.g for pliers? I am also planning to do my first project a plain band ring, in one of the books it suggests using half round wire. I have seen lots of this on different websites, what gauge would anyone suggest is best for this?

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Chris

Best advice I can give ,is to buy cheap basic tools, cheap copper wire. Get stuck in find which tools you will use most then buy good quality versions, box made type by anybody are best,

Comment

I agree with Urbtaf, buy a cheap set and see how you get on first. My cheap set are still going strong 4 years later. You may not be able to find half round copper or coloured craft wire but round wire should work just as well.

Melanie

Comment

Hi,

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll pop to wilko or wickes in the morning and pick up some cheap pliers.

Thanks again

Chris

Comment

Try your local pound shop first. Got some good ones there.
          "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
          my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

hi chris nad to the forum...,..I agree with urbtaf, get cheap basic tools and try.................

www.folksy.com/shops/sandrute

Comment

I have a set of 3 pliers ( round nose, chain nose and snips ) all in a nice little zip case, made by Rayher and i think they only cost me about £10 new and i think they are great. Thats all i have apart from a pair of crimping pliers.

Comment

Make sure you get smooth pliers, lots of the usual diy pliers have a rough edge to help grip but this can take the plate off wire. i have some of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beadsmith-Mini-8-Pce-Pliers-Set-Jewellery-Making-Tools_W0QQitemZ270302867664QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C rafts_JewelleryMaking_GL?hash=item270302867664&_tr ksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|2 40%3A1318 which I love. They are small but perfectly formed! The nylon jawed pliers broke but I think you can get replacement covers. I never liked them anyway so dont miss them.
                flickr
                blog
                my website
                etsy

Comment

Hiya just thought i would say to the forum !!

Sara x
                  allabouteden blog

fromthehandsofkittyeden

my folksy shop

Comment

Hi,

Thanks to all of you again for taking the time to reply. I can see you are a friendly bunch! I went down to my local wilko and managed to pick up a rule, some punches and some small files all for about £5.00. I'll look around for pliers as they are still quite expensive from there and also are the diagonal sort, quite big and with teeth on the jaws, which I think will mark the jewellery.

I'll check out the brands and places suggested.

Thanks again

Chris

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum

Debbie
                      www.beadservice.net
                      On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

I found some nice pliers in Maplins - comuter and electrical stuff.
                        And sometimes (minidrills etc) in B&Q, but the place to go for quality tools is Walsh I've only ever had to buy something from them once and it's lasted - 40 years in some cases!
                        Have you looked at The Wire Company for wire?
                        (Sorry I'm not allowed to give you their website addresses but you can find them on Google. Search for walsh jewellery tools and wires.co.uk.)
                        AnnieAnna

Comment

I'm planning on getting a set of plier from an auction site they look ok and only 14 pounds counting delivery. But was planning on buying tool magic to use on it. Should I bother??

Sorry to hijack the thread.
                          my blog: http://debsjeans.blogspot.com/

Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...ls/48962246861

my misi.me http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=879

Comment

Try your local pound shop first I got 3 pairs from there. Mine have orange chunky handles and feel really comfy to hold, which I think is really important when using them a lot.
                            "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
                            my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

I've got the orange handled ones from the poundshop - good sturdy bent nose pliers and as Goldy says, very comfy to hold.
                              Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                              X