Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hello, anyone else into "traditional" crafts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello, anyone else into "traditional" crafts?

Hello from the Peak District.

I am a woodworker, spe******ing in making wooden bowls and spoons by hand. I am very interested in all traditional crafts from spinning and weaving to boatbuilding and pottery and am currently looking into the possibility of setting up a charitable trust for traditional or folk crafts to highlight those that are in danger of dying out and promote them to a wider public.

Robin
    http://www.robin-wood.co.uk

Hello & . Promoting traditional crafts sounds like a fantastic idea to me
    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Hey there Robin - and from us too.

Your idea for promoting traditional crafts is brilliant; you sound like you have a big heart and true dedication:- good luck with it, and Well Done You for being so brave
      With love,
      Daisy & Me
      x

Our MISI Shop www.daisyandme.misi.me.uk
      Our email address [email protected]

Comment

Hi there, to the forum, it's lovely to see someone trying to keep traditional crafts alive.
        "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
        Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
        Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

Thanks Jayne, It is something I have been interested in for many years and have been hoping through government lobying to get either the crafts council to take traditional work back as part of their remit or to get a new body set up.

We got fairly well on the way with the publication "Crafts in the English Countryside" which contained the key recommendation;

"the establishment of a traditional crafts council to complement the
          fine arts and contemporary crafts remit of the crafts council, and to
          serve as an umbrella for all crafts operating in the heritage sector.
          Like the crafts council it would promote and nurture public interest in
          traditional crafts, support their products and services by extensive
          exhibition and educational programmes and work to secure business
          support and training."

I really hoped something would happen but 4 years on it looks like we will have to do it ourselves.

Comment

HI
            Im a potter firing my pots in a local woodland in Gateshead, using technology from all eras including primative man ( Pitfired), 16th century (raku), Roman (terra siggilata slip decoration).
            It would be interesting to keep in touch as I work with other crafters at events and demos etc.
            And traditional and natural ways of working are the best!

Comment

Originally posted by robin wood View Post
              I really hoped something would happen but 4 years on it looks like we will have to do it ourselves.
              The old adage seems to be true "if you want something doing...." It's such a shame that the value of traditional crafts just doesn't seem to be appreciated. People assume that they will just continue, all by themselves but they'd soon moan if they disappeared! I agree with Daisy & Me that you must have a big heart and true dedication. I'm sure lots of people will be behind you on this forum. Do let us know how you get on and if we can help in any way.
              Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Thanks all,

Things are moving, the report I mentioned got a lot of press at the time and there is money available. The thing that got the most press has been the heritage building crafts and conservation crafts, things like Thatching, lime mortar dry stone walling and coppicing.

The bit that is often overlooked is what I call the domestic crafts, furniture making, textile crafts, pottery, basketmaking.

I have several friends who are the last that do what they do, Owen Jones for instance is the last Oak Swill basket maker. He has done it for many years but if he stopped then 1000 years of traditional knowledge would die with him. I think we need something like the Rare Breeds survival Trust to identify such crafts that are on the brink.

The other aspect that I think is often overlooked but which is becoming much more mainstream is the therapeutic effect of craftwork and the benefit to the whole person. My wife was at a meeting in London recently where they were discussing getting real craft back onto the national curriculum, not in a vocational way it is now but in the way Phys Ed is in there because it is good even for folk who don't want to become metalworkers/woodworkers for a living.

Comment

Hi Robin,

This sounds an interesting idea.

We have met before, I was the spinner on the Great Wheel at the EcoEco shop opening in September.

Good luck with your project, I will look forward to hearing more about it.

Diane

Comment

I love traditional crafts! I did a willow basket making course, a wood carving course and i am just completing a pottery course. I have my dad to thank as he influenced me! He grows willow and used to do wood work and made tapastries on his loom and also used to make and spin his own wool when we had our sheep farm.

But despite doing all these courses iv never taken it any further! They are expensive and there is only so much you can learn in a certain number of weeks. Plus after the course if you want to go further yourself, the equipment is so expensive!
                    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by MurmuringWheel View Post
                      Hi Robin,

This sounds an interesting idea.

We have met before, I was the spinner on the Great Wheel at the EcoEco shop opening in September.

Good luck with your project, I will look forward to hearing more about it.

Diane

Hi Diane,

Good to be in touch, the spinning with all the family involved was great to see.

Comment

Hi,
                        I have read this thread with great interest. My Son, DIL and family live in Devon on the edge of Dartmore and teach wood crafts and forestry survival crafts - mainly to children but do some adult courses. They love and live the life. What part of the Country are you planning to carry this out in?
                        Carol
                        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                          Hi,
                          I have read this thread with great interest. My Son, DIL and family live in Devon on the edge of Dartmore and teach wood crafts and forestry survival crafts - mainly to children but do some adult courses. They love and live the life. What part of the Country are you planning to carry this out in?
                          Hi,

I don't see "it" as being a thing in one place, I see the need for a national organisation like the Rare Breeds Survival Trust say that would lobby government so the voice of the traditional crafts is heard, it would also identify crafts that were endangered and promote traditional crafts nationally, much in the same way that the Crafts Council does for contemporary craft.

Comment

Hello Robin, I like your philosophy - but where do you draw the line between "traditional" and "modern".

For instance I make soap - but I don't strain rainwater through wood ashes; add the resulting lye to molten fats in a cauldron and then stir for hours.
                            ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                            website
                            blog

Comment

Hello Robin and to the forum. Good luck promoting traditional crafts, it saddens me that children are not taught anything like that today, they don't even do cookery, needlework, woodwork and metalwork like we did when I was at school (that makes me sound so old, but it's only 20 years ago!), I remember having a go at basket weaving and macrame amongst other things, and we all loved it.

Jo x
                              Things to make and do
                              Things to make and do's Facebook page
                              Michael Lovejoy's Art

Comment

Working...
                              X