Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to start card making

Hi
    I am a newbie to the forum, I sell personalised chocolate bars but I want to learn how to make cards too.

Has anyone got any tips or know of any books that will help me.

cheers
    Michelle

to the forum

There are loads of card makers on here, I am sure some will be along shortly to offer you advice.
    www.beadlab.com

Comment

Hello there Michelle, and from us.

We're sure you'll find out all you need to know here - there are sooooo many clever people all willing to share their knowledge (sorry we can't help though !)

Anyway, hope you enjoy it here.
      With love,
      Daisy & Me
      x

Our MISI Shop www.daisyandme.misi.me.uk
      Our email address [email protected]

Comment

hi Michelle and to the forum, sorry but can't help with card making..

www.folksy.com/shops/sandrute

Comment

Hi Michelle

I started just over a year ago (be warned it's very addictive & expensive ) and I didn't really know where to begin.

If you've got a good card/craft shop near you, some of them hold groups where you can learn different techniques.

I also found create&craft shopping channel quite useful, good for ideas (and products) but they sell in bulk and it does add up very quickly.

Other than that, look at cards in shops, websites etc and see how you can adapt them or make something similar yourself.

To start decoupage is quite good, or buy toppers and backing paper with a few embellishments like ribbons, peel off messages. That way you can start reasonably inexpensively and then build up your craft stock, I started this way and then moved onto rubber stamping (so making your own toppers really) which I love doing.

All the best, hope that helps a bit and if you need to know anything else please ask.

x
          "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
          Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
          Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

Hi Michelle and to the forum.

I make cards and so do several others, what theme did you want to start off with?

Comment

Hello & I think Decoupage is a nice and easy way to start you off in the card making world, do you have a craft supply shop local to you?
              Sarah

Comment

Hi! I'm a newbie like yourself, and have been making cards on and off for years, but just started getting into it properly. I use die cuts, and have a die cutting machine (expensive) but started by buying die cuts cheap on ebay (I still do this) and also got ideas from Googling 'handmade cards', looking through card making magazines, and from others who make and sell cards.

Hope this helps

Comment

Hi,hello and

Where to start!!!!!!

I started card making about 5 years ago when there wasn't the greatest choice for 'crafters' around.
                  Before you jump head first into it I would suggest buying a basic kit or 2 to see if it is something that you will want to continue with. I know argos sell some card making kits and depending on where you live you could try a hobbycraft.
                  If after trying your hand at the kits you decide you want to continue then try and find some local (or in my case nearest) craft shops and buy a few backing papers,peels offs and other bits and bobs and see what techniques appeal to you the most to start with.........and then it just snowballs from there,money,space,time!!!!!!!!!

Good luck

ps.don't forget to upload some pics in your album on the forum when you start. You will be amazed by the amount of advice,tips,support and encouragement these guys give
                  My Blog
                  Twitter
                  Facebook

Comment

to the forum. I tend to try to stick to quilling on any cards I make, as that is where my talents lie. I think getting a kit sounds like a good place to start though!
                    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Like the others have said, try and watch the craft channel for close up techniques and demonstrations, also Dawn Bibby on QVC, and also buy a few card magazines. If you can get one of the kits it will definitely help you learn without spending too much money if it's not for you. Have a look at Joanna Sheen's website too at the Gallery, for a bit of inspiration and different card making techniques. Good luck and enjoy
                      Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Hi Michell , I'm a newbie too , I started making cards about six months ago . What I found very good was you tube , there's demonsrations on there of all papercarfts as well as cards .
                        Good luck & enjoy !

Sue

Comment

Hi there cardmaking is my middle name... well not quite but i am very into it!
                          I would start with a good supply of card stock- i have so much different patterned/sparkly/plain card in all different colours now from building up over the past few years- most of it because i just couldnt resist!!
                          I tend to search on the internet for ideas, but also cardmaking mags such as cardmaking and papercraft are good for ideas and to show you different techniques to try.
                          Lady Lora

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of card making! As others have already said it can be a very addictive past time..and get pretty expensive if you really get into it. I started card making a few years ago now, (luckily for me it's my full time business now too..well not card making but designing!) and when I got started I bought a simple crafting set from Do crafts which had a stamping theme with a heat gun etc included. It's a good way of trying out card making before spending too much money. Good luck with getting started and enjoy yourself!
                            Anice xx
                            Funkyhand x
                            my website
                            http://www.funkyhand.com
                            my blog (updated 09/06/10)
                            http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
                            Follow me on Twitter
                            http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

As somone else has already said - where to start......

You can get ideas and inspriration from all sorts of places but I've found the best place is your own imagination. I don't buy kits cos I think they're too expensive. You can download backing papers and decoupage sheets from various sites on the internet for your own personal cards but if you want to sell them, try designing your own - it's fun

Also craft shops can be a bit expensive so look in more unlikely places for things you can make toppers out of ie Pound shops, also Tesco have a great stationary section and have some really good reductions out of season - like now, they are reducing all their wedding stationary by upto 90% so you could buy the blank card for the table settings etc and use it as backing paper.

Beware! It's sooooo addictive

Comment

Working...
                              X