Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting a new market (Portsmouth, Hampshire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a new market (Portsmouth, Hampshire)

Hello all!
    I want to start holding a new and regular art and craft market in the colonnade of our building. We have an antiques and collectables centre in the dockyard in Portsmouth and have already had a couple of events that have gone really well.
    I wanted to get some level of interest from local art and craft producers. Being very new to all this, I would appreciate any suggestions on where to let the craft community know we will be doing this. I have had to just troll through websites, trying to find lists of market traders to contact.
    We are having a festival for Christmas and I want to fill the last few market stall positions and am not sure where else to look.
    We are not part of the heritage area business, we are a new private enterprise and don't have the benefit of their contacts.
    Any help would be appreciated, as we would like to keep it local and to a high standard.
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by woodtattoos; 26-10-2008, 02:11 PM. Reason: To improve visibility.

You've picked a good place to start... there are a lot of Hampshire crafters on here that are regularly looking to find events to exhibit at.

Have a browse through the UK Fairs section of the Forum and you may find crafters appealing for local events... you could always then send them a Personal Message with your info.

I'm going to change the name of your thread in a second to ensure that they notice it...

Si.
    Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

Comment

Thanks Si.

Ooh, thanks for that! Didn't realise I would get a response so quickly. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Hello & Good luck with your new venture, I am too far away, sorry to say!
        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by KirstyAntiques View Post
          Ooh, thanks for that! Didn't realise I would get a response so quickly. I appreciate the help.
          No problem... a little too far for me to travel unfortunately but the venture sounds interesting! Good luck with it.
          Wood Tattoos
          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
          Facebook
          Flickr
          Twitter

Comment

Hi

I would be very interested, Please could you send me some more info.

Also Hello and

Ann

Comment

Hi

I am always open to new events, when you have everything settled can you PM with costs etc, this unfortunately is the most important thing at the moment as DH as put a curfew on my spending.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by KirstyAntiques View Post
                Hello all!
                I want to start holding a new and regular art and craft market in the colonnade of our building. We have an antiques and collectables centre in the dockyard in Portsmouth and have already had a couple of events that have gone really well.
                Good luck! I wish you'd started before I left Portsmouth for good (in May)!!

Like other posters have said, Hampshire is a pretty good area for crafts, and I think Old Portsmouth is probably a really good place to hold a market - especially if you can get a few other folks on-board (pardon the pun) e.g. hair braiding, etc, to help build it into part of a family day out.

I'm trying to refrain from posting adverts all over the place, but, have a google search for 'Jersey Craft Shop' or 'Jersey Soap' - although they are not in the immediate area, they sell kits for beading/necklace/bracelet making, as well as some other quite original craft packs, and if you get in touch, would probably be all too happy to work something out with you, if this was the sort of thing you wanted to start doing - we've used the materials behind these kits at a few fairs here in Jersey to great effect.

Smaller kids love the soap painting (it works really well from age 4+), and the bigger kids (adults included) love beading.
                --Matt

Web Development
                Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

Festival of Christmas.

Thanks everyone, for your welcome and replies.
                  I will definitely be organising future markets, just need to work out the logistics.
                  Feel free to contact me at
                  [email protected]

Incidentally, the dockyard is hosting it's annual Festival of Christmas
                  (28-30th Nov)and I am holding a market within the market along the front of my building. I have a few stalls left, so if anyone would be interested, please let me know asap. I think the dockyard have filled all their stalls.
                  25,000 people expected through!

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                  X