hi there and any help and advice very welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi there and any help and advice very welcome

hi all i am emma from blackburn lancashire uk !!

i have joined this site as i work with service users who have learning disabilities &/or mental health problems. I have been asked to open a new craft department working with anything which can be recycled which to many of you is like a blank canvas but i have gone blank mentally !!!!

i am looking for any ideas or help or advice which can help me get this site up and running

what are good materials to work with ??

I have a two large rooms 20 double cupbords all empty and 10 sessions a week all with 8 service users in !!!! all of which need somthing to do
    so please please please help me out i have some ideas but i need more i am hoping you kind pepole can help me out

many thanks for reading my post and thankyou for any ideas posted
    emma

Hello Emma and welcome to the forum

First point of call would be a trip to the local Scrap store. They are places where industry and offices send things they have no use for yet could be recycled into some great stuff. There are rules at some of them that state that individuals are not allowed to go, whilst charities, schools and playgroups are welcomed ( I wanna go!)
    You'll find old fabric samples, wall paper, off cuts, tubes and a myriad of other stuff.

ideas could be: decorated note books, greeting cards, desk tidies, badges, jewellery, treasure boxes, ......

Have fun!
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

What a great opportunity for you to offer something to people with learning disabilities, and with such wonderful resources. I have a 30 year old niece with so called "special needs" and she has made some wonderful ceramic plates as gifts for all of us in the family. I wish you well in doing such a worthwhile job.
      www.littlebead.blogspot.com
      www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Welcome to youy. There are folk on this forum that specialize in crafting with recycled stuff. Just hang in there and someone will be along shortly with some more fab ideas.
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I think beadsbydesign has given you some great ideas, certainly summed up what I was going to say. I think you're going to need a ton of assorted papers, cards, glues etc... plus perhaps blank shapes or items that can then be decorated with all the fabrics, beads etc you can get your hands on!

I wish you all the best for a very worthy cause indeed.

Si.
          Wood Tattoos
          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
          Facebook
          Flickr
          Twitter

Comment

Hello and to the forum,

A few years ago I took a glass painting class with people with learning difficulties and found it very rewarding. They will really appreciate doing arty crafty things with you.

I run a free craft projects website that may give you some ideas for your class. Here is the link, I hope it is useful to you.

http://www.things-to-make-and-do.co.uk

Jo x
            Things to make and do
            Things to make and do's Facebook page
            Michael Lovejoy's Art

Comment

Hi Emma, good luck and have fun with your new venture
              Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

hi

hello & & good luck with your project.
                My blog http://setters-delight.blogspot.com

Folksy http://www.justgifts.folksy.com

Comment

Hi Emma don't forget your local freecycle website, its a yahoo group

Wonderfull to get left over tiles to break up for mosaic work, some times half pots of PVA glue, and emulsions, wall paper rolls, clay plant pots which can be repainted or mosiacs, even plant shoots, its a lovely site where i live, hope you have as much luck.

FS

Comment

Hi Emma, to the forum. What an amazing opportunity, but also a bit daunting at the moment I would imagine! The others have already come up with all the good ideas (my minds a bit blank tonight) so I'll just wish you the best of luck with it all!
                    I'm sure we'd all love to see some pictures of the things they make so don't forget to keep us updated!
                    Good luck and enjoy!
                    Natalie
                    website blog

Comment

Sorry I forgot to add, I use alot of testers from places like B&Q when they have a sale on its amazing how far they can go on small projects, I usually grab the whole reduced tub and spend £5. They also have the exterior paint in as well which is great for the outdoor pots.

Comment

Originally posted by For Sale View Post
                        Hi Emma don't forget your local freecycle website, its a yahoo group

Wonderfull to get left over tiles to break up for mosaic work, some times half pots of PVA glue, and emulsions, wall paper rolls, clay plant pots which can be repainted or mosiacs, even plant shoots, its a lovely site where i live, hope you have as much luck.

FS
                        That's a great idea. I'm a member of the one in Preston, busy group. Definitely worth joining. I gave away a whole load of beads and findings that I was writting off a few months ago. Needless to say it went within hours.
                        Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

many thanks for all te replys
                          i have mangaed to find a scrap art materials store in blackburn and there seem to be other things round and about so i am going to have a look there this week i have to have the new department open for the 8th september so i dont have long i am going to send out a global email at work asking for any materials which anyone wants to donate!!!! hopefully i will get lots ( fingers crossed)

i am going to collect some carrier bags and have a go at the carrier bag crocheting ( if that how you spell it) i have some one in mind who dose this craft so i might be able to get them to have a go if any on has any ideas or advice please email me
                          many thanks again for your responces
                          emma

Comment

Wishing you all the very best with this Emma, I dont think I can add much to all the great ideas you've already had here but if anything pops to mind, I'll give you a PM

I'm dont live that far from you and I'm currently working in Oldham for their Adults with Learning Disabilities depts, specifically for the Speech Language Therapists, and I know the service users absolutely love projects like the ones you're getting off the ground - it gives them lots of opportunities to make simple choices for themselves, do I want green paint or red? Silky material or scrunchy?

I bet you already do this anyway but I heard a tip recently which was great for those with communication problems - becoming "forgetful" as a tutor - eg forget to fill their glue pots up fully so they have to explore ways of communicating with you to ask for more glue etc

What a joy its gonna be for you, wish I could come along and see!

All the best
                            Shaz x
                            Keepsake Kollections
                            & Rossendale Ramblings!
                            http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

I teach crafting to the elderly once a week and have had lots of help and info off the forum to the extent that I now haunt the charity shops asking them to save bits for me that they cannot sell. I'm not suggesting that you do this I am merely saying that its so good to come here and ask questions and get sound sensible answers.
                              Good luck with your project. It's going to be hard work but I am sure you will reap countless rewards.
                              Carol
                              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X