Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft or Art?

Hi All

I'm new to this forum and want to know the difference between art and craft, artist and artisan. People say I'm an artist, but I really think I am an artisan and my work is craft. Are you an artist, crafts-person or artisan

All opinions welcome.

Pete
    Figurines Sculpture, Insights Into the Making of Collectibles

I think art is a craft and vise versa. You can't separate the two.
    Carol
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Hi - welcome to the forum and I agree with the previous posting!!
      Cynthia
      http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Welcome Pete

That is a really thorny question particulary in the pottery world. You get people calling themselves Ceramic Artists, Ceramicists, Artists in Clay etc but it's difficult to put a finger on the reasons for the difference.

Me? I make pots so I call myself a potter. I don't really care if people consider me an artist, a craftsman or an artisan

John
        I follow the "Way of the Clay"
        http://www.lockettpots.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by lockettpots View Post
          Welcome Pete

That is a really thorny question particulary in the pottery world. You get people calling themselves Ceramic Artists, Ceramicists, Artists in Clay etc but it's difficult to put a finger on the reasons for the difference.

Me? I make pots so I call myself a potter. I don't really care if people consider me an artist, a craftsman or an artisan

John
          I think if you're that good at anything you can call yourself what you like. You hav e earned that privalage.
          Carol
          Carol

Comment

It all depends what I make - quilled pictures I may consider art, but generally not my greetings cards! I'm a quiller!

to the forum.
            View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

If you work to new and orignal designs that you dream up yourself,you're an artist. If you work from patterns and designs that you get from books, kits, the internet or wherever, you're a crafter.

Me, I'm a crafter! Mostly, anyway - some of what I do is wholly original, but 99% is from patterns...
              Cheers,
              Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
              Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

I think of myself as an artist, but that's just a personal preference. To me, art is something through which to express yourself, and my jewellery definitely reflect my moods.

I'm not exactly sure of the definition of artisan, but it sounds very fancy
                Magriet

www.babushkajewellery.co.uk
                http://babushkajewellery.blogspot.com/
                http://en.dawanda.com/user/BabushkaJewellery

Comment

Courtesy of Compact Oxford English Dictionary (online)

art
                  noun 1 the expression of creative skill through a visual medium such as painting or sculpture. 2 the product of such a process; paintings, drawings, and sculpture collectively. 3 (the arts) the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, and drama. 4 (arts) subjects of study primarily concerned with human culture (as contrasted with scientific or technical subjects). 5 a skill: the art of conversation.
                  — ORIGIN Latin ars.

craft
                  noun 1 an activity involving skill in making things by hand. 2 skill in carrying out one’s work. 3 (crafts) things made by hand. 4 cunning. 5 (pl. same) a boat, ship, or aircraft.
                  verb make (something) skilfully.
                  — DERIVATIVES crafter noun.
                  — ORIGIN Old English; sense 5 perhaps comes from the idea of vessels requiring skill to handle.

artist
                  noun 1 a person who paints or draws as a profession or hobby. 2 a person who practises or performs any of the creative arts. 3 informal a habitual practitioner of a specified activity: a con artist.

artisan
                  noun a skilled worker who makes things by hand.
                  — DERIVATIVES artisanal adjective.
                  — ORIGIN French, from Latin artire ‘instruct in the arts’.

Looking at these definitions I think it depends what you make/do. I make jewellery (mostly designed myself and sometimes from patterns) so I'd say I was a crafter - not that I'm cunning or anything

Or if I was talking to someone "posh", maybe I'd be an artisan.

Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Hey Guys

artisan n. A skilled manual worker; a craftsperson. [Probably French, from Italian artigiano , from Vulgar Latin *artitiānus]

Thanks for responding so quickly - keep the views coming on in, this is great!

Some thoughts about your thoughts so far. Now Scorch, when I read your views, I thought hmmmm... now I think that's right, I agree, but then I thought about it and realized Shakespeare 'borrowed' nearly all his stories from others, and just re-wrote them in his own style for his own audience. Mostly, I do commissions and am given other peoples drawings to work from, that makes me a crafter / artisan, not an artist ..... but sometimes I do totally my own designs ... and on those occasions I am an artist .

Babushka said her work enables her to express herself .... reflecting her moods. Now I think were getting to it. Or are we ? ...because my form of creative self expression is definitely my clay sculpt work.

Indri is both a crafter and an artist, she has this clearly defined in her own mind.

lockettpots is an old hand at this question ... and knows why its important.

Thanks for your nice comment Carol, you think there is, in the end, no distinction. You could just be right ..... However, what then is the difference between a Faberge egg and a Van Gough painting?

Peter

Comment

Auntynet

Do you know anyone posh??

We both must have posted at the same time, your definitions are quite thought provoking. I am going to read them and think.......

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by figurines-sculpture.com View Post
                        Auntynet, Do you know anyone posh??

Peter
                        I don't particularly "know" them but we get them all the time on the market. OH calls them the Marks 'n' Sparks Brigade.

You must know the type - Middle aged ladies with their twin sets and pearls that usually only buy from the "up-market" shops . . . . . till they go on a midweek trip to the Lake District and stop off at Bury Market on the way back. They're gobsmacked at the prices they find on the market - especially on our stall cos as well as hand-crafted jewelly we also sell crystals and gemstone specimens at about half the cost of the ones they've seen in the posey shops in the Lake District.

When I'm talking to those customers I'm definitely an "artisan".
                        Last edited by auntynet; 14-07-2008, 03:01 PM.
                        Auntynet

Comment

Originally posted by figurines-sculpture.com View Post
                          Hey Guys

artisan n. A skilled manual worker; a craftsperson. [Probably French, from Italian artigiano , from Vulgar Latin *artitiānus]

Thanks for responding so quickly - keep the views coming on in, this is great!

Some thoughts about your thoughts so far. Now Scorch, when I read your views, I thought hmmmm... now I think that's right, I agree, but then I thought about it and realized Shakespeare 'borrowed' nearly all his stories from others, and just re-wrote them in his own style for his own audience. Mostly, I do commissions and am given other peoples drawings to work from, that makes me a crafter / artisan, not an artist ..... but sometimes I do totally my own designs ... and on those occasions I am an artist .

Babushka said her work enables her to express herself .... reflecting her moods. Now I think were getting to it. Or are we ? ...because my form of creative self expression is definitely my clay sculpt work.

Indri is both a crafter and an artist, she has this clearly defined in her own mind.

lockettpots is an old hand at this question ... and knows why its important.

Thanks for your nice comment Carol, you think there is, in the end, no distinction. You could just be right ..... However, what then is the difference between a Faberge egg and a Van Gough painting?

Peter
                          One cracks with a spoon the other with age. hahaha
                          Carol
                          Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                            One cracks with a spoon the other with age. hahaha
                            Carol
                            gedit???? quack - duck - egg???? Oh never mind.
                            Auntynet

Comment

I did duck - it was addled.
                              lol
                              Carol
                              Carol

Comment

Working...
                              X