Hello everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone!

I'm, not even sure I've got the right thing here - words like "thread" don't mean a great deal to me unless it's got beads atached!
    Anyhow, assuming I have actually managed to negotiate my way to the "Introduce Yourself" section I'd like to say Hello to you all! Can't believe I haven't found this site before - it's a minefield of information!
    I've been making, painting and creating for ovr 20 years. I started with beading and jewellery making back in the 1980s when my first child was born and big plastic jewellery was very much in vogue. Back then,I used to buy up bits of old jewellery from jumble sales and turn them into something that just went with the latest fashions. I started selling bits and pieces to friends at work, and managed to make a bit of extra cash in the process.
    I stuck with beading for quite a while - then I discovered salt dough (probably early 1990s). I'd never seen anything like it (saw it for the firs time at a craft show) and just had to give it a try. My first few attempts were completely hopeless! So I bought some books, perservered and eventually managed to produce some really nice pieces - so I hit the craft show scene with a vengeance and was surprised how easy it was to sell provided other people could actually get to see what you could do.
    I did that for around 3 years, then painted flower pots for a few months (loved doing it, sold a few, but they took far too long to make and although people liked them, weren't prepared to pay anywhere near enough to make it worth while) - then I discovered glass painting which was really new at the time.
    This was surprisingly successful and I loved doing it. Again, I'd trawl around boot sales lookng for glass that needed painting and sometimes find a really stunning piece and end up paying only 50p for it, yet sell it painted for as much as £20. This was around 1996, and around that time a shop opened up near to me where crafters could rent a shelf to sell their stuff - it cost £25 a month which wasn't as cheap then as it sounds today, but I took a chance and signed up. This was great fun and I actually sold my stuff really well there for four years (it's shut down now, sadly).
    Since then, really all I've done is dabble in bits and pieces - I'm currently painting canvasses (isn't everybody?!) but not really doing much with them as craft shows are so expensive now to sell at. My dream has always been to open my own art/craft shop and pinch the idea of the shop I sold stuff in ten years ago - and my sister and I are in the process of trying to make that dream come true.
    I'd love to hear from other crafters with ideas for new hobbies and projects!
    www.doodlesartandcraft.co.uk

Find us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...y/173605348873

Crafters DON'T do housework!

Looks like your quite the renaissance crafter, good at everything! Good luck with your exciting venture-keep us upto date how you get on!
    Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
    Dichroic Glass Tutorials
    Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

Wow!

Goodness - a reply already! I've only been registered for 10 minutes! Thank you so much for the warm welcome - I'll definitely be tagging this as a favourite site and keeping up with the crafty-gossip!

Find us on Facebook

Comment

Hi I am also new to the site and looking forward to meeting everyone.
        Sandi

Comment

Hello Australia!

Hi Sandi - what's the crafts scene like down under?

Find us on Facebook

Comment

Hiya and - crafting really is in your blood isn;t it - hope your dreams come true
            Chris xx
            My Website
            My Blog

Comment

What a great introduction doodles!. to the forum - its a great place to be !!!.
              by Nicki
              www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum
                My blog :
                www.makateria.blogspot.com

My shop :
                www.makateria.etsy.com

Comment

Thank you new friends!

Thank you to everyone for such lovely messages! Our shop dream is still a little way off but we (myself and my sister) have had an offer accepted on retail premises near to where we both live. It used to be a supermarket and is in a really poor state so will take a massive amount of work to get it looking nice!
                  All is currently with lawyers at the moment (and already costing us a fortune!) but we hope to complete the lease acquisition in the next 6 to 8 weeks and then we'll be getting the builders in - its really exciting but incredibly scary too!
                  A head full of dreams is all very well, but I guess there comes a time in our lives when we either have to let them go, or act on them - and neither of us is prepared to let this particular dream go without a fight!
                  If you want take a look at what we're doing, we have a temporary website called doodlesartandcraft which you might be able to access through the search bar - this gives you an idea of what we're trying to do, in the meantime, it's fingers crossed (although I have the urge to try some papier mache today, so perhaps I'll leave the finger-crossing for later!)

Find us on Facebook

Comment

hello and welcome to the forum i hope all your dreams are fulfilled with your shop it sounds brilliant . im also a crafter thats tried nearly all crafts,at the moment papercrafting is my thing but im going to be trying my hand and jewellry very soon ( when i get some stash for my birthday) i dont sell anything just give to friends and family i dont think i could handle the pressure. im lucky i am retired from work due to ill health got pensioned off so have plenty of time if not cash to indulge in my hobbies.
                    Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

What a wealth of talent!

Just had a quick look through some of your website and blog links - what a talented bunch you all are! It's so uplifting and inspiring to see what people are creating, makes me feel humbled!

Find us on Facebook

Comment

and hello from me too!

Hope you stick around (so to speak!) as we are a friendly bunch and are always on hand to offer advice or a shoulder to cry on!!

But, it is addictive so be warned!!

Comment

It's addictive? You're not wrong!

My first day on this forum and I've already logged on about 6 times! I've registered for other forums in the past but have never had so much response before - this is brilliant!

Find us on Facebook

Comment

Hi doodles - welcome to the forum. You already seem very much at home and you obviously have lots of experience in different crafts. Hope you enjoy all the different things that are represented here and you will also be able to give us all some help. Enjoy.
                            Cynthia
                            http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Hello and a big from meeeeeee. I make jewellery.
                              Your dream of having your own shop is one thats shared by many (me included) but although having my own shop is out of the question for me, I am lucky enough to sell it on my hubby's market stall.

Good luck with all your plans and keep us up to date with whats going on with it - I'm sure loads of us are interested.
                              Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                              X