Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member - hello!

Hi,
    I am interested in making jewellery but I work full time, how much could I realistically make extra a month? Also would it give me enough time to make a reasonable amount of stuff? Also what is the best type of course for me to do to introduce me to jewellery making?
    Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There are various people and places around the country who teach jewellery making basics courses. Where are you based.
    i teach in East yorkshire.

Before you are ready to sell, you really need to perfect your techniques and styles. it's not simply a matter of creating and selling, it's the same with all crafts. those of us who have been around this field for some time will tell you that what you create at the beginning is a long way from the standard you'll achieve with pracice and technique.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I am based near milton keynes.
      I thought that maybe the case. I am only really thinking of selling to family and friends.
      Would you know the approx intial costs I would be looking at for supplies?

Comment

initially you'd need a pair of round nose pliers, a pair of flat nose pliers.
        a selection of beads and findings and perhaps a good book called the basics of bead stringing by debbie Kanan. It's a great intro into the techniques used to create jewellery. I have it in my shop, but it's widely available.
        the book does not offer designs, rather it gives you the techniques to utilise most findings (the clasps etc) and techniques. You also need a selection of beads (obviously)
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Hello & .
          There are loads of jewellery bods on here to give advice but, sadly, I doubt that anyone can advise you as to how much money you will be able to make (that's the ten million dollar question )
          Many people start their crafts in their spare time and then see how much they can make through selling through websites, craft fairs, work places etc. etc. If you could afford it, what about reducing your working hours to 4 days a week? Then spending one day on jewellery making?
          I'm in the process of stock taking, at the moment and I reckon I may have one, or, two bits and bobs that are surplus to requirements. If you me us know what type of jewellery you'd like to make and what kind of stuff you're looking for (charms, beads etc) I'll happily send you any surplus bits (free of charge) if they match your requirements.

Good luck with your venture.
          Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

to the Forum and good lucking with your crafting endeavours!

You're in the right place for tips, advice and support.

Si.
            Wood Tattoos
            Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
            Facebook
            Flickr
            Twitter

Comment

Thank you all for advice - I think my first port of call is to buy the book you have recommended and visit some stores to see what is available for me to buy so I can get an idea on what I would like to make.
              I have wanted to do this for so long I thought it was about time I actually put it into reality!

Comment

hello and welcome to the forum i am looking into making jewellry but not to sell just for me as i love costume jewellry and enjoy the challenge of a new craft im having to wait for my birthday to get started as im getting supplies for pressies. i may when im happy with what i have done give them to friends and family but only if i can part with them as i am a magpie when it comes to anything shiney and pretty
                Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

And thank you poppylee that is such a lovely offer.
                  I need to establish what I actually want to make and then may take you up on your very generous offer

Comment

Originally posted by av123 View Post
                    And thank you poppylee that is such a lovely offer.
                    I need to establish what I actually want to make and then may take you up on your very generous offer
                    Please do, you can pm me any time
                    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll get loads of help!
                      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Hello and to the forum.

Originally posted by craftyjan View Post
                        . . . but only if i can part with them as i am a magpie when it comes to anything shiney and pretty
                        LOL - whenever I make a piece that I really like it sits on a bust on my hearth for a few days before I will let DH take it to the market to sell. He calls me a magpie!
                        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Hello & from me too.

There are some how to make jewellery videos on my you tube channel that might help you out (get a cup of coffee, settle down & hope you enjoy ) - the link is below my signature & you can always ask questions on the forum too as there's lots of us around to help.
                          Mel

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum

Debbie
                            www.beadservice.net
                            On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Helllllo

Welcome!!

You will find lots of advice on here! Njoy!
                              www.victorialewis.net

Comment

Working...
                              X