Hello everyone + Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone + Question

Hello and nice to meet you all, I'm very new to pottery and the last time I made something out of clay was years ago at school, so forgive me for the silly questions.

So firstly I'll start of with project that I want to make.

The projects that I want to do is being halted due to the fact that I don't have a kiln and an oven that only reaches to 240 degrees, I want to make a few Clay Incense burners similar to this one here: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/707628160189810313/

The clay resin incense burner would only be the size of a cup and around half an inch, around. I'm not sure if the weight, width of the project matters and I was also thinking about warping the project around with aluminum foil which I believe would increase heat, making it more rock solid

That's the first option I may be able to do. The second option, I can take two BBQ aluminum foil trays, almost like sawdust firing and pottery clay's hardening point is 1,000°C, right? And charcoal heats up to 1,200 to 1,550 °C (2,190 to 2,820 °F) which I'm thinking would cause the project to crack, clay always cracks but I think using charcoal would completely ruin the project, but it's something I can use.

It sounds pretty good but I live in a flat so I'm uncomfortable with doing that, I could get a Kiln but they cost too much. I'm at a lost and not sure if I should pursue this dream/career

I was originally going to use polymer clay but it isn't waterproof nor heatproof.

I don't know what to do gents, boys, ladies and girls. Any suggestions?

I am not able to drop any suggestion for you as I have no good ideas on you question. But as new member here like you, I would like to welcome you here in the knowledgeable crafts world surely.

Comment

The best vote would be to see if a college local to you or pottery Worksop that would fire for you, when I had a kiln always used to fire for others at a cost price but it helped them and me.

Comment

Thank you both

Comment

Working...
        X