Hello from a new crafter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a new crafter

Good morning, thought I'd introduce myself, not used to forums. I'm Ben, new to crafting really, using this enforced time off work to do something I've always wanted to do and try to make some big changes in life. Looking forward to reading all the advice and learning lots on here.

Hello Ben and welcome to the forum.

You may have already gathered that we're not the busiest forum around, but there are a small core of stalwarts who visit most days - you'll find us on the daily chit chat thread in the non-crafts related section of the forum, do feel free to drop in and post any time you like. It's mostly just a quick hello, how are things, weather, and what we've been doing/hoping to do - ranging from clearing gutters to producing the most wonderful and varied assortment of crafts.
    If you have any questions about crafting, there is a wealth of information in the various sections, but also feel free to ask - between the few of us who frequent here there is quite a bit of knowledge and we're happy to help if we can.

Linda
    (mostly home made preserves, needlecrafts and lately bookbinding)

Comment

Welcome Ben,

What sort of crafting do you do or hope to do?

Join us as Linda says on the daily chit chat.

Shelley

Comment

Hi Ben, welcome to the forum

Dave (paper cutting artist)

Comment

Thank you for the welcomes, I make frames for illustrations taken from beat up books, maps and things like that. Got into it during this lock down to keep myself sane and it's become a bit of an obsession.

Comment

Got into it during this lock down to keep myself sane and it's become a bit of an obsession.
            Welcome to the world of the crafter!

Linda

Comment

Hello Ben and welcome to the forum

Comment

Yep, that old “obsession” thing bites us all eventually 😁

Dave.

Comment

It really does seem to have done, going to try a couple of car boots this weekend to "get those ****** frames out of the dining room"
                  Hopefully I can make room for more

Comment

Are there any car boots? Good luck.

Shelley

Comment

It really does seem to have done, going to try a couple of car boots this weekend to "get those ****** frames out of the dining room"
                      Hopefully I can make room for more
                      I understand that you want to get some work moving, but do beware that you are unlikely to get anything approaching a reasonable financial return by selling at car boot sales. Most people who attend these attach no value whatsoever to crafted items - I've even heard of people haggling about a £1 price for something already seriously underpriced! You may be lucky and find a market where people are prepared to pay for quality works. Good luck.

Originally posted by Lilly42 View Post
                      Are there any car boots? Good luck.

Shelley
                      Started up here a couple of weeks ago Shelley - I'm assuming they're treated as outside markets and so able to go ahead.

Linda

Comment

Thank you for the advice Linda I've found a couple locally that appear to be car boot/market so hoping for a bit of a mix of people. Hoping to use it as a chance to get my stuff seen by an objective audience and get feedback. If any sell then that'd be a nice bonus.

​​​

Comment

I agree with Linda, the type of venue you sell at, the price is dictated by the audience that is going to be there. Car boots are notorious for “ Stack em’ high, sell em’ cheap”. Depending on what price you pitch your work at obviously but it is so easy to undervalue your work and to undersell it...to sell it.
                          I do a local craft fair each month and use wall space in local outlets. ( Do commission only, don’t rent space wherever possible)
                          These types of venues are a wealth of feedback, ( or here, post some photos for us, we are brutally honest but constructive as we are old hands at it...)..get some cards printed, each card taken is a possible sale.
                          Don’t forget you will by law, need public and product liability insurance if you sell anything at all.
                          “ It’s much better to sell one thing for £10 than sell 10 of the same for £1 each”

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                          X