Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all

Hello!

It’s taken a few days to get up the nerve to say something and still not sure what.

I knit, crochet, and make textile and seed bead jewellery (though rarely nowadays) for fun/relaxation and I also make crepe paper flowers, which I’m using to decorate my wedding in December (so scrambling like a nutter to learn how to grow and dry grasses and foliage and arrange flowers in the meantime) and hoping to turn it into some sort of business off the back of that.

I’ve also just taken on putting together the craft area of my villages festival in June this year which is faintly terrifying.

Im a Spoonie (MH, CFS/ME, Endometriosis, POTS and suspected EDS and MCAS) so there may be periods where I don’t post much or post A LOT 😂.

Cat mum to one darling kitty and one Holy Terror in Fur.

Nice to meet you all, H x

Hi Helen, welcome to the forum. I think we were all serial lurkers in the past before diving in...😁. Crepe flowers...I’m sure we have vids here in one of the sections, a girl from Vietnam posted a load showing how she made them. Good business to get into, getting more popular now. I’m a paper cutting artist, I admin a few FB groups as well as here, they pop up in posts now and again.
    Organising the village festival craft fair...a few of us regular posters do monthly or “Ever so often” craft or Artisan markets and fairs so I saw your other post, I’m sure we can throw in a few tips.
    Also we have needle workers etc, textiles etc so maybe help you out there too ir vice versa.
    We have a general chat post, usually we all jump on it in the mornings but you can contribute anytime really, just about what we are up to with projects, home life, plans advice, a coffee time thread. Just look for the post with a date as the title, feel free to just dive in.

Dave.

Comment

Hello Helen and welcome to the Forum.

You have a lovely range of crafts to your name, and I'm sure like all of us you've tried many different crafts. I'm one of the textile crafts people - mainly cross stitch, and knitting, but I have tried various papercrafts, crochet (ageing and painful hands mean I rarely do any of this now), and I have been trying for years to learn the art of the Japanese style of making silk flowers having inherited a vast collection of materials and tools from my Mother.

At certain times of the year and when I feel like it I make preserves - chutneys, jams etc - mainly from surplus harvest from neighbours and villagers who like growing fruit and veg, which I take to various events to sell.

All this is done on a hobby basis, although any legal requirements are covered.

Good luck with organising the craft fair - a friend and I organised an artisan "exhibition and sale of work" weekend event for several years and it was an enormous amount of behind the scenes hard work as we started from just an idea. Hopefully your event won't be quite so intense to arrange, but if you think I could give any advice please ask and I'll do my best.

And just to reiterate Dave's invitation, you are welcome to drop in to the coffee time thread whenever you like. There are only a few of us who post on a more or less daily basis, but others drop in now and again.

Any questions about anything, then please ask, we're always more than happy to help where we can, and good luck with preparations for your wedding.

Linda

Comment

Hi both!

Thank you for replying, and thank you for the wishes over the craft fair. Like I said it’s the first time I’ve done anything like that - all luck appreciated!

I’d love to see your work Dave - I’m always in awe of paper cutting and follow several artists on Instagram - I lack the drawing skill and the steady hand to even attempt to try it myself. Do you have it posted somewhere?

And Linda I’m so jealous! I looked at silk flower making (I looked at many types of flower making when I was looking for alternatives to fresh flowers at the wedding) and they are stunning but the equipment is so expensive, it’s a real shame how they came to you but they must be beautiful tools and even if you don’t use them do treasure them. They’re usually pretty enough that you could mount and frame them (or display them somehow anyway) if you decide it’s not for you. Should make a lovely memento.
        There are loads and loads of how to’s and reference images on Pinterest and loads of tutorial videos that I saw while researching the crepe flowers if you do decide to try at some point. You should treat yourself to some silk and have a play with them. I imagine they’d be a little easier on your hands than crochet hooks etc too with their bigger handles. Good luck with it if you do try it and let me see the results.

I will try to post in the coffee morning threads, thank you for the invite. I’m often not very alert in the mornings and currently trying to fit all of our things into a new house so most of my posts would be whining about furniture 😂, but when I have more things to talk about I will join in, see you there!

Comment

I will try to post in the coffee morning threads, thank you for the invite. I’m often not very alert in the mornings and currently trying to fit all of our things into a new house so most of my posts would be whining about furniture 😂, but when I have more things to talk about I will join in, see you there!
          Posting in the coffee morning thread is not restricted to mornings - one of our daily posters doesn't get chance to post until late afternoon, and often in the evenings. Posting can be done any time of the day or night?

Whining about craft and non-craft related things is one of the reasons for the thread It's just a place where we can left off steam gently, and just get it out of the way!

I’d love to see your work Dave - I’m always in awe of paper cutting and follow several artists on Instagram - I lack the drawing skill and the steady hand to even attempt to try it myself. Do you have it posted somewhere?
          I'm not on instagram, but I believe Dave is so a quick search should find some views of his fabulous work.

You've certainly got a lot on your hands at the moment with house moves, weddings and long term craft projects, but it would be nice if you can drop in now and again and let us know how things are going.

And Linda I’m so jealous! I looked at silk flower making (I looked at many types of flower making when I was looking for alternatives to fresh flowers at the wedding) and they are stunning but the equipment is so expensive, it’s a real shame how they came to you but they must be beautiful tools and even if you don’t use them do treasure them. They’re usually pretty enough that you could mount and frame them (or display them somehow anyway) if you decide it’s not for you. Should make a lovely memento.
          I have a vast quantity of materials, but the tools are fairly basic - still at starting level as Mum was hampered by severe arthritis and cataracts and doing her work at local adult education classes. Unfortunately, the lady who took the classes retired many years ago and I haven't been able to find anyone else doing this particular method of flower making. I've done a couple of workshops with Present Perfect Creations and a millinery lady in North Yorkshire, but have no impetus to keep working at it as I don't feel I'm making a lot of progress. I have quite a number of Mum's completed pieces at home, and there are lots to be completed; and I've also given away several very large boxes full of displays and completed flowers she had in her house (we found more than a wardrobe full of them!).

Linda
          Last edited by 3dDave; 02-03-2021, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Good Morning Helen and welcome to the forum.

Love the sound of crepe flowers I have made some from coffee filters in the past and died using watercolours. Just touching the tips of the filters and the colours bleed naturally but not in a solid colour. Also use my embroidery machine to stitch out petals etc and make into organza flowers.

I think we all do a lot of crafts, I tend now to stick to textiles and paper products but that does not stop me from doing book binding and more. I use Instagram but not as much as I should tend to go towards FB as linked to my Folksy store.

Hope to see you in the coffee/afternoon tea/supper thread soon.

Comment

Working...
            X