Advice on use of Epoxy Resin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on use of Epoxy Resin

Hi all, first time poster here, looking for some advice on avoiding the dreaded bubbles in Epoxy Resin.

I am making a small table. The top is a piece of plywood onto which I am gluing some small wooden shapes (the shapes are 2.5mm depth). Some of the shapes butt up against each other but many are separate with gaps of up 10mm between pieces. The plan is to completely cover with 4-5mm of epoxy resin.

After I had glued all the pieces, I tried to seal the top by applying two coats of PVA glue(1 part PVA mixed with 1 part water). When I then applied the epoxy resin, bubbles started appearing in many places, which I then started to remove with a heat gun. As quickly as they disappeared more started to appear and it seemed that the more heat I applied the worse it got. After about 60 mins, still with lots of bubbles, the epoxy started to harden, leaving me with a completely bubble infested table top. I'm guessing that as I applied the heat, the trapped air just expanded hence producing more bubbles.

My questions are:
    1. Is there anything else I can do before applying the epoxy so the bubbles don't appear in the first place? I have wondered about applying say a quarter of the epoxy as a seal coat, but won't the same problem happen?

2. Is there a length of time I should wait until I start applying the heat gun to the bubbles? i.e. wait until it starts to harden

Thanks
    John

Try Glasscast 50 clear resin. https://www.glasscastresin.com/glass...-casting-resin

Comment

Originally posted by glenwood View Post
      Hi Glenwood. I recently decided to get into making epoxy products, as I see from your post, you are good at it. Can you please tell me how good is the epoxy resin from Craft Resin [MOD EDIT]? I have read several reviews on the internet, such as [MOD EDIT]one, all say it is the best, what do you think?
      Last edited by 3dDave; 20-02-2021, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieHoward View Post

Hi Glenwood. I recently decided to get into making epoxy products, as I see from your post, you are good at it. Can you please tell me how good is the epoxy resin from Craft Resin [MOD EDIT]? I have read several reviews on the internet, such as [MOD EDIT]one, all say it is the best, what do you think?
        Hi, unfortunately we don’t allow comparison site links or links to sites like Amazon.
        Glasscast is a superior product and the resin you asked about on Amazon has 1000’s of customer feedback posts.

Forum moderator.

Comment

Working...
        X