No announcement yet.

New corner in dining room! so excited!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New corner in dining room! so excited!

Just gotta tell everyone! (you will probably all think I'm barmy)

I've been getting very "fed up and downy dumps" lately because I can never just sit down and get on with my sewing - some of you may remember my thread about not having a designated craft space. My craft space is the dining room, which is also the games room, computer room, homework room, kids drawing/painting room, hubby's (& mine) dumping room etc, etc! You get the gist! It's just a permanent pig sty and a hive of activity.
    Anyway, (I'll stop waffling now) hubby has agreed that I should set up a work station in the alcove! Yeah, I'm so excited! My own special sewing corner where my sewing machine can be set up permanently. I've got a desk coming tomorrow and Dave's gonna build a load of shelves above so I can store loads of stuff and make the most of the space!

The only down side is that I've had to spend most of today finding new homes for a bookcase, all the books and the heaps of "stuff" that was piled in front of the bookcase! Just dumped it in bottoms and on tops of wardrobes for now, I'll worry about that when I have to!

The bookcase? Oh I don't know. It's still standing in the hallway, Dave can sort that out when he gets in from work!
    Natalie
    website blog

I know exactly what you mean. My workarea is anywhere I can find. I have to pack eveything away into a wooden chest when I'm finished but in order to get into the wooden chest I have to take off the lamp, toys and what ever else has been put there.

Oh, to have a permanent work area. How nice that would be.

PS Thanks for your response to my previous note/thread/post whatever they're called. I have added some of my teds as suggested.

Sharon
    Sharon

Facebook - Silly Old Bear Crafts

Folksy - www.folksy.com/shops/SillyOldBear
    Blog - www.sillyoldbearcrafts.blogspot.com
    Website - www.kidsnewcastle.co.uk

Comment

I will never moan about my lack of space again. At least I do have a special room for me to work in and now I've tidied up I can even shut the door.
      Great news Nat. There's nothing more likely to put paid to a creative streak than having to unpack all your stuff first. The only thing is I'm always up there (when I'm not on the computer!) so they never get to see me! At least you will still be with the rest of your family. he he :0)
      http://ethelandednastearoom.blogspot.com/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

I'm going to print this thread and hand it to my other half and show him the joy that a permenant and dedicated 'craft-zone' brings!! Hee hee! I think I'll end up in the shed !! You'll have to show us some pics when it's done!!

Cx
        Love LittleGems x
        http://LittleGemsUK.etsy.com
        www.truly-handmade.co.uk

Comment

Oh it'll be lovely to get a space to call your own, big or small, its just for you so you'll be able to really enjoy making it all cosy and organised and look forward to getting stuck in!

Congrats!

shaz x
          Keepsake Kollections
          & Rossendale Ramblings!
          http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

I remember when I first got my own space (the spare bedroom) it was fantastic!! My OH calls it my 'creation station'. I feel really excited for you
            Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Originally posted by Littlegems_cm View Post
              I'm going to print this thread and hand it to my other half and show him the joy that a permenant and dedicated 'craft-zone' brings!! Hee hee! I think I'll end up in the shed !! You'll have to show us some pics when it's done!!

Cx
              He he, that's made me giggle! You can't set up in the shed, same way I couldn't set up in the back porch, (yes it was suggested!) the dampness would play havoc with your materials! No, you need centrally heated, well lit luxury (or a small corner of your own in a multifunctional dining room)!

Will post piccies of before and after once it's all done, which might be a while if I'm waiting for his lordship to put up shelves!
              Natalie
              website blog

Comment

i dont like you no more i want a work area too

but YAY you must be sooo excited!
                i cant wait to see the piccies!

id move into an alcove too, if Buttons the hamster, phone directories, and a 1980's stone fireplace wasn't in the way!

i'll bet you'll fill the space up in minutes!
                Av xx
                Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

My work area is the kitchen and I am soooo wanting a place of my own. We have a cellar and there is an old cooker down there I am thinking of clearing it out and working down there as I really really need the space!!

Enjoy your little bit of space and don't let the kids near it.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                  Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                  www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sprinkles View Post
                    i dont like you no more i want a work area too

but YAY you must be sooo excited!
                    i cant wait to see the piccies!

id move into an alcove too, if Buttons the hamster, phone directories, and a 1980's stone fireplace wasn't in the way!

i'll bet you'll fill the space up in minutes!
                    Ah, now you see, Brownie the Gerbil is in the other Alcove (on a shelf above my fabric stash), the phone directories have just been squeezed into hubby's filing cabinet (he never goes in it so he'll not notice for ages), and the 1960's tiled (yuck!) fireplace is acting as a handy dumping ground for hubby's photography equipment which was in MY alcove!

Feed the phone directories to Buttons (they love paper), Buttons to the Cat and take a sledge hammer to the fireplace! You can have an Alcove too!

It think I should point out (to you jealous types) that the space in question is only 112cms wide!!!! LOL
                    Natalie
                    website blog

Comment

well, after reading this post, i got into cleaning mode, and tidied up under the stairs, and voila, there is a space to put more stuff!

good luck with getting your OH to put up the shelves by next year!
                      Av xx
                      Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

Originally posted by Sprinkles View Post
                        well, after reading this post, i got into cleaning mode, and tidied up under the stairs, and voila, there is a space to put more stuff!

good luck with getting your OH to put up the shelves by next year!
                        You're not kidding about the shelves. He started replacing the Bathroom in Feb 2007 and we still have no sink or toilet in there now (have to use the "cloakroom" under the stairs)! I think shelves are going to be a way down his list!

Congrats on discovering some space! It's amazing what a good sort out can reveal. Unfortunately I am an untidy cow by nature so there is probably more space for me to discover too!
                        Natalie
                        website blog

Comment

happy sewing in your space i have a craft room come spare room which is now in need of a good sort out i have to work on the spare bed as i have filled the desk my hubby built me its a nightmare if 1 of my daughters wants to stay i have to shovel all my stuff onto the floor
                          Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm the flat pack queen!!!!!!!

Yey! My new desk has arrived and I've put it together already (took seconds! ok about an hour). I've already sat at it and done a bit of work! I've been out and bought paint to cover up the "old fart" style wallpaper that was on the walls when we moved in, and am generally in a positive mood (for a change).
                            Have decided to make some curtains to go across under the desk so that when I'm not working I can chuck everything under the desk and hide it behind a curtain!
                            So, I've just got to wait for hubby to do the shelves as I'm not trusted with drills! Humm... could be some time methinks!
                            Natalie
                            website blog

Comment

Originally posted by Roseberry Crafts View Post
                              So, I've just got to wait for hubby to do the shelves as I'm not trusted with drills! Humm... could be some time methinks!
                              ....or you could say "I'll save you the trouble darling, I'll have a bash myself" and when he sees you brandishing the drill about willy nilly in a girly-like but very dangerous manner he might panic and get a spurt on

Hey well done with that flat pack, you'll be joining MENSA next!

Have fun
                              Shaz x
                              Keepsake Kollections
                              & Rossendale Ramblings!
                              http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Working...
                              X