Advice for Mums about Frubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for Mums about Frubes

I know a lot of us have got little 'uns on here.

I've just been speaking to a mum at school whose son turned 5 last week.

She took him for his dentist check-up and he's got to have SEVEN FILLINGS !!!!!!!!!! Apparantely he has Frubes (the yoghurts that you have to suck) every day in his lunchbox. Because you suck them rather than spoon them in, the yoghurt and sugar stay on the teeth for much longer.

Something they don't tell you on the packaging!
    Blog Website Flickr

crikey! Maybe that's why my kids have so many fillings - hardly ever have sweets!! but I think that you're right with the yogs and drinks these days.

C x

Comment

Thanks for the warning. Thankfully the school here does not allow these in the lunch boxes. I don't think its anything to do with tooth decay more that some were using them as squirty weapons!!!! and the kids ended up wearing them!!
      Penny

www.creativepatchwork.com

www.tonysmithphotography.co.uk

Comment

Doesn't surprise me at all. I was once told that in one small pot of Petit Filous there are 6 teaspoonfuls of sugar! Pretty horrifying when you think they say suitable from six months on the side!
        Natalie
        website blog

Comment

Now I wouldnt have thought that about yogurts - just goes to show !
          Mel

Comment

There could be some truth in that!

I hate yoghurt and have no fillings!!

Comment

I think sometimes if your gonna have bad teeth then thats just the way it is! I have a friend whose mum religiously made sure that my friends teeth where cleaned as a child, she always goes to the dentists reguarly, eats 'good' food yet her teeth are pants.

Something somewhere is always 'bad', I'm sure if my little one ate bananas all day and never cleaned his teeth they would end up bad too, since bananas have sugar in them also!

I'm not sure bad teeth can be 100% blamed on the frubes...

..don't let your kids suck dummies, that'll make their teeth bad too...but sucking their thumbs is just fine!

sorry, that was a bit of an exasperated rant...
              Last edited by sweet; 19-03-2008, 06:45 PM.
              Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

I also read somewhere that fruit winders and the like are really bad news. Apparently they just stick all round the teeth and do a lot of damage. We might as well give everyhing up, there are so many reports telling us everything is bad for us.
                www.littlebead.blogspot.com
                www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

The only thing I remember being told was at a post-natal group by a visiting dentist :

- if your children have sticky sweets, give them a piece of cheese afterwards as this helps remove the residue.
                  - Chocolate is preferable to sticky sweets as it melts and dissolves away.
                  - Fizzy drinks (as we all know) are an absolute no-no
                  - dummies stop the teeth growing down, which I can testify to as Toby only gave his dummy up at night-time at Christmas (despite our best efforts) His top teeth don't meet his bottom teeth yet, although they are improving very quickly. The dentist said to try and get kids off a dummy by the age of seven as then any damage tends to be irreverisble.
                  Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Well I do eat a lot of cheese so that must be why I have no fillings!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tip Top View Post
                      Well I do eat a lot of cheese so that must be why I have no fillings!!
                      Ditto!

I can't resist the wine gums on the shelf next to the checkout. They're on BOGOF at the moment and I can't help myself! I eat them in the evenings once the kids are out of the way but as soon as I've finished the packet I have to have something savoury to get rid of the sweetness, so I have a pile of crackers and CHEESE!
                      One thing I remember being told by the dentist as a child was that if you stuffed all your sweets in one go you were less likely to need fillings than someone who savoured them and made them last. My bro' and I were living proof that there may be something in that! Once I'd got my weekly sweet ration I couldn't help but eat them there and then, but my brother used to make his last the whole weekend! I have still have no fillings (at 33) and my brother had at least two before he'd reached his teens!
                      So who knows? It could be the cheese or the fact that I'm just a pig!
                      Natalie
                      website blog

Comment

My boy has a dummy onlt at night now, and i would prefer him to have that instead of sucking his thumb, he will grow out of his dummy, 'thumb suckers' dont, I had a friend at school who used to suck her thumb, she did alot of damage to her teeth and had to wear a plate brace thingy with nobule type things coming from the roof of her mouth so she couldnt suck her thumb anymore!

Also, some recommend giving your kids dummies at sleep times as the sucking keeps the airway open and are less susceptible to SIDS.

My son has frubes too...EEEEK i must be bad!!!! I'll have to hide that from the dentist next time! lol!
                        Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

I eat lots of cheese too and have a preference to chocolate over other sweety things.... I have eaten a lot of yogurt in my time though, but prefer the really fattening varieties, like those which are made from full fat jersey cow milk... the sugar often replaces the fat to give other yogurts 'flavour' but I prefer mine not to be so watery!
                          View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

I'm lucky as I have no fillings at all! got no teeth you see

joking!!!
                            Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Working...
                            X