Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I will SCREAM if my books fall off my desk again...help me, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will SCREAM if my books fall off my desk again...help me, please!

Ok so i have too many books on my desk and all i have to stop them falling down is something like this

http://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/Catalog...affixedcode=WW

they're too flimsy and too short, psychology books seem to be very tall and very heavy, any suggestions!! I have been looking but cant find anything suitable, nearly everyday my books fall over, throwing a cascade of god knows what everywhere!

s.x
    Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Sommerwood made me some really chunky and sturdy book ends to stop Samuel's books from falling over. I don't know if she's got them on her website yet, but her website is www.sommerwood.co.uk

Hope this helps!

Comment

DIY method: cover some house bricks with felt (you can decorate with flowers etc) then stack them on top of each other to make book ends as tall as you want.
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Hi Sweet,
        How handy are you? On my desk is a 3 sided structure. like an upside down, elongated capital 'E' shape,fairly shallow, tall enough to go over the monitor and to accommodate two sets of small drawers and supported along the back by a cross bar. In the middle is a support the same height as the end bits. upside down actually. If my desk was not an almighty mess, I would take a photo for you.

I had the 5 pieces cut at local Homebase and it cost me about 15.00 GBP. (my pound key does not work,blush.)

Hope you find your solution, Ruth.

Ps. If I read correctly I should have been able to attach a file 19.5 KB
        but the most I was allowed is 9.00 KB. I have never had this difficulty before.
        It will be a miracle if you can even see the drawing. Get out your magnifier. And yes, I know I really can't draw to save my life.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi again,
          as I thought, it is practically impossible to see detail in the image. If it does interest you, let me know and I will try something else.

Ruth.

Comment

Good pic!!

If its easier for attaching pics - join Flickr and then you can put links to your pictures so it stops teeny pics being added!!

See how much you are learning!!

Comment

Easy....

......don't stand your books on end, lay them down flat, largest first.

Then, when time and resources allow, get something like wine boxes and create bookshelves by stacking. Years ago we had old floorboards that we made into shelf units with by adding housebricks (cleaned) between the boards. Three house bricks are paperback size, four housebricks are larger paperbacks and small hardbacks....just use however many bricks you need to adjust the height.

I have to admit, we half-inched new bricks from a building site down the road.....in mitigation, it was over 20 years ago and we were penniless. With a baby on the way too.

Jules
              Apple Tree Crafts
              www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post

I have to admit, we half-inched new bricks from a building site down the road.....Jules

Shock Horror.... Jules had a shadey past
                full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Wellllllll......

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                  Shock Horror.... Jules had a shadey past
                  We just 'borrowed' them....truly we did, because a few years later we returned them to the site, then being able to afford a proper (!) bookshelf from MFI. I think it lasted all of two years before collapsing....should have stuck with the oak boards & bricks.

Few years ago House Beautiful featured a similar idea.....I was SO ahead of my time!

Jules
                  Apple Tree Crafts
                  www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Originally posted by benchaddict View Post

It will be a miracle if you can even see the drawing. Get out your magnifier. And yes, I know I really can't draw to save my life.
                    Its a lovely drawing, I like the flowers!
                    I guess for ease of grabbing a book when you need it, the bricks sound a great DIY trick, maybe you could paint em to suit too

Shaz x
                    Keepsake Kollections
                    & Rossendale Ramblings!
                    http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Thankyou everyone for your advice!

I have screamed today, yes they fell over AGAIN....will get my finger out and check out all your ideas sometime over the weekend

ty again

s.x
                      Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

Working...
                      X