Been to Docs today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been to Docs today...

...Got the results of all my blood tests.

I'm just over borderline with the hypothyroidism, but they won't give me anything for it, which has annoyed me. Reading up on it, it says that if you are over the borderline for T4, then you definitely have hypothyroidism. I'm due back into the docs for feratin blood tests on Wednesday (they're vampires in there.....) so I'm taking my NHS printout with me to show them. Himself reckons they are not keen to start me on medication for the hypothyroidism as it would be for life and I'd be entitled to free prescriptions which they wouldn't be keen to let me have as I'd be a drain on resources. Anyhoo, they want to test me again for TSH & T4 in two months time.....

I'm also anaemic. My blood count is 8, whatever that means. Lowest they like to see is 11. And my red blood cells are very small. I now have iron tablets, mefanamic acid and traxexamic acid to take....I'm nearly rattling, I've so many to take! Can't drink coffee with the iron tablets

Hopefully I'll have some energy soon, and my hair will start to gain some condition.

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Mefenamic Acid? I take that for my period pain and was always told it was an NSAI (non steroidal anti-inflamatory) so am a bit befuddled what else it's for.

Best get eating lots of liver and broccoli then Jules, and I'm sure orange juice has the same effect as coffee on iron-tablets, but I could be talking rubbish.

My mum's partner has been suffering from irritability (how could she tell I wanted to know?), cramps, pins and needles, tics, spasms and restless sleep. He finally went to the doctors after much nagging and when the blood results came back he was found to have virtually no calcium in his blood! He's taking medication for 3 different maladies and they think that the combination of the 3 drugs has depeleted him of all his calcium. He's been told to stuff himself on cheese and milk and to hell with his cholesterol for now! Apparantely if it had carried on much longer he would have been in danger of getting rickets!!

Anyway, Jules, (sorry, pinched your thread there) glad to hear it is something that is treatable, whether it be on prescription or not, at least it's controllable!
    Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Glad to hear something's being done anyway Jules, that's a start

All the best...and your Glaswegian thread elsewhere just cracked me up!....hope you're not so peely wellie soon!...or however you spelt it!

Shaz x
      Keepsake Kollections
      & Rossendale Ramblings!
      http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Yes, you're right....

Originally posted by JBJB View Post
        Mefenamic Acid? I take that for my period pain and was always told it was an NSAI (non steroidal anti-inflamatory) so am a bit befuddled what else it's for.
        Well, this is what they think is causing the anaemia, but I didn't want to get all gynae...it's just TMI!

Jules
        Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post
          but I didn't want to get all gynae...it's just TMI!

Jules

Ooops! I shall just extract my foot from my mouth!

Can't work out TMI ....?

I know IMHO, ROFLMAO, BTW, HTH ... but can't work out TMI ?
          Blog Website Flickr

Comment

To Much Infomation. TMI Mfan... acid is for periods and this could be your iron defictiency prob. I also suferd depresion and lethargy on a monthly basis. Have you asked to be referd to the hostpital?
            "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
            my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

I was anaemic for years and was told if you have something with vitC in at the same time as something with iron you will absorb twice as much iron. I have been spayed now so dont get the prob. I hope you start to feel better soon as anaemia is awful, your get up and go has got up and gone.
              Vendi..Verdi..Visa...
              I came..I saw..I shopped

Comment

Originally posted by Kay View Post
                if you have something with vitC in at the same time as something with iron you will absorb twice as much iron.
                I've obviously remembered it wrong then! I knew orange juice was involved somehow
                Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Okay...

...I shall be knocking back my iron tablet with some OJ. Then maybe if I leave it an hour or so, I can have my precious coffee. Can't go without my coffee.....

It says no coffee, tea, milk, eggs or whole grain foods for two hours before and after taking the iron tablets. This is bad news for a shredded wheat-eating-coffee-drinking anaemic person.

I am not human until I've had my shredded wheat & coffee in the morning. Or shredded wheat and a glass of milk at bedtime. Even my beloved Alpen is not a good substitute......

No wonder anaemic people become depressed. As an after effect of taking all three pills, I now have heartburn. I normally cure this with milk, but now I can't and according to the iron tablets leaflet I can't take antacids either. Oh what fun......not.

Jules
                  Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

I'm in agreement with you JBJB, I'm sure I was told NOT to have orange juice to wash down the iron tablets, as they cancelled each other out.Maybe they've changed their minds ,as the medical profession often does!This was about 11 or 13 yrs ago after childbirth, I was so severely anaemic they wanted to give me a 3 pint transfusion, but refused on the basis someone might need it more urgently, and apart from which I HATE needles!
                    Let's hope that whatever you've got Jules gets better with the medsand helps to kick start your thyroid, or look into alternative therapies for it.

Comment

I used to have iron injections in my bum every other day, I still have a brown stain from having it done so often. I couldnt tolerate iron, made me sick or nauseous. The docs changed me to 'slowFE' I think they were called and are a slow release tab and are kinder on the tummy.
                      Casew nuts, spring greens, tuna, sardines and pilchards, egg yolks, bked beans, ginger cake and spinach all have a high iron content.
                      Drinking tea with your meal will reduce the amount of iron absorbed, so it is best to avoid it. Instead, have a Vitamin C-rich drink such as fruit juice, or fortified squashes. Also, if you are taking iron supplements it is important not to drink milk, or eat a milk-based product (e.g. milk puddings), for one hour before or after taking the tablets. This is because milk can interfere with the action of the the tablet.

Just got this off of the food for life webby.

Chin up luvvie, it gets better and quite soon too. (((((HUGS)))))
                      Vendi..Verdi..Visa...
                      I came..I saw..I shopped

Comment

Sorry to hear about your problems Jules. I hope they are sorted soon - you'll start to feel better very quickly with the iron tablets.

BTW nobody has mentioned Guinness (OK, I know it's an acquired taste, but I acquired it a long time ago and it saves me from lots of iron tablets which don't agree with me!) Guinness is good for you!

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Kay View Post
                          I used to have iron injections in my bum every other day, I still have a brown stain from having it done so often.
                          I know what that is like..I have to have interferon injections three times a week to tackle my MS..you get to a point where there isn't anywhere else to stick the needle!!

Jules, I'm sorry to hear that you are so ill. Keep on at the Doctor if you are not happy with what they are doing for you. I've learned you have to take control over stuff when it's happening to you, the Doctor isn't always right. (Even though they always think they are!!)
                          Anice xx
                          Funkyhand x
                          my website
                          http://www.funkyhand.com
                          my blog (updated 09/06/10)
                          http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
                          Follow me on Twitter
                          http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

Not Very Ill......

Originally posted by Funkyhand View Post

Jules, I'm sorry to hear that you are so ill. Anice xx
                            Honestly, I'm not ill. I don't feel poorly, just tired. The barnet looks a bit straggly...but other than that I do feel fine. As JB said, it's all treatable, so I do count myself lucky.

I'm trying to figure out why they want to take more blood on Wednesday though, as having put me on iron tablet they aren't going to get a true reading of any feritin tests??

Also, I've taken ilovedraft's advice and I'm researching the homeopathic idea.

Thank you all very much for your best wishes...it's great to know people care.

Jules
                            Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

jules

I haven't had time to read it all yet but found a website re low thyroid, as a result of your earlier thread, and the fact that I have been tested several times but always come back "normal".. anyway try this link

http://www.lowthyroidhelp.com/

it has some annoying pop ups, but they send info by email as well.

Lots of sites for this problem, or that cover it amongst other medical issues, but this one looked slightly more promising than others

Nikki

Comment

Working...
                              X