Clarty Mackems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarty Mackems!

Following on from a previous thread where Jules introduced some of us to the word "Clarty", I was watching "Bladerdash and Piffle" last night on the telly when they looked at the Geordie word "Mackem"

What interesting words/phrases do you have in your neck of the woods?

Down 'ere in Wiltshire we say "Girt Lush" if someting is really good and nice. "That chocolate cake was girt lush" (must be said with a farmer-giles accent for the full effect!)

Any more?
    Blog Website Flickr

Weirdy Accent...

Originally posted by JBJB View Post
    Following on from a previous thread where Jules introduced some of us to the word "Clarty", I was watching "Bladerdash and Piffle" last night on the telly when they looked at the Geordie word "Mackem"

Down 'ere in Wiltshire we say "Girt Lush" if someting is really good and nice. "That chocolate cake was girt lush" (must be said with a farmer-giles accent for the full effect!)

Any more?
    I'm not sure where I acquired clarty from. Being a Forces brat, and someone who never lived in the same place for more than 4 years until she was 18 (and I've moved house 11 times since I was 18....) I have a very weirdy accent. I tend to collect words too.

Some of the words are pure dead gallas, so they are......!

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

My sister in law was born & bred in Rochdale, Lancs and it always tickled me when she gave her lad his weekly pocket money and called it his "spence" !

....not spends, spence?!....wots that all about!

Shaz x
      Keepsake Kollections
      & Rossendale Ramblings!
      http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post

Some of the words are pure dead gallas, so they are......!
        That one's familiar! It seems everyone in Glasgow uses weird words though. I think my favourite might be 'gaddin' though, as in He's always gaddin about!

Comment

I Love Gaddin' Aboot...

...It's mostly what I do all day.

I really miss Glasgow. The folk where always great. I remember getting on a corpy bus for the first time and the driver saying to me 'Where're ye ga'en hen?' Blank incomprehension wasn't in it....as soon as he twigged I was nae fae roo'nd 'nere he translated for me.

If I went back to Glasgow I'd sound like a native in minutes. We went once for a long weekend years ago, and Himself was looking at me like I'd spouted an extra head...he couldn't understand a word I was saying.

One of my favourite Glasgow words is Glaicket....dinnae stan' nere' lookin' glaicket......means dozy or stupid, vacant.

Peely wallie.....I'm peely wallie (very pale) today 'cos I've just found out I'm very anaemic.

Jules
          Apple Tree Crafts
          www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

i speak 2 languages English and Ulster-Scots and when i first met my husdand i had to translate for him when we were at my home as he was from the posh end of belfast and couldn't make out a word they said and i can slip back inta it at anny time (you spell it as yea speak it ) that ma be why a was tul a was stupid (dyslexic thank god for spell check) but apart frae that a was ta gain to a special scool fur to learn to take rite, and no my spelling is not that bad and it is a lovely language to listen to but very hard to wright and as for my two boys i am trying to teach them both ways so as the local dialects don't die out and as for OH i still have to translate sometimes
            while i knit i think

http://foxyscraftythoughts.blogspot.com

http://thecraftyfox.misi.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by JBJB View Post

Any more?
              JBJB, I hadn't heard that expression for years! Made me remember schoolfriends saying that...

Si.
              Wood Tattoos
              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
              Facebook
              Flickr
              Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Focus on Life View Post
                My sister in law was born & bred in Rochdale, Lancs and it always tickled me when she gave her lad his weekly pocket money and called it his "spence" !

....not spends, spence?!....wots that all about!

Shaz x

And whats wrong with that eh??!!!

I'm born and bred in Rochdale (although now in Darwen) and that is quite, quite normal!!

Gormless and dithering are often used too!!

Comment

Ha ha

...how about skriking? As in "what you skriking for? I'll give you sumat to skrike about"...

And my mum always used to call me Lal...which we think might have been a cumbrian short for La Lass (I'm only tiny)...sadly she died when I was 14 so I never got chance to ask her, does anyone know if that sounds right?

Shaz x
                  Keepsake Kollections
                  & Rossendale Ramblings!

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
                    JBJB, I hadn't heard that expression for years! Made me remember schoolfriends saying that...

Si.
                    You're welcome moi luvverrr....

My relatives on my mum's side hail from Leicester and my Grandma always used to call me "chick".

I can't think of any more from around here.

My in-laws come from Lincolnshire way, and they say "skin a rabbit" when you're taking your jumper or t-shirt off.
                    Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post
                      ...It's mostly what I do all day.

I really miss Glasgow. The folk where always great. I remember getting on a corpy bus for the first time and the driver saying to me 'Where're ye ga'en hen?' Blank incomprehension wasn't in it....as soon as he twigged I was nae fae roo'nd 'nere he translated for me.

If I went back to Glasgow I'd sound like a native in minutes. We went once for a long weekend years ago, and Himself was looking at me like I'd spouted an extra head...he couldn't understand a word I was saying.

One of my favourite Glasgow words is Glaicket....dinnae stan' nere' lookin' glaicket......means dozy or stupid, vacant.

Peely wallie.....I'm peely wallie (very pale) today 'cos I've just found out I'm very anaemic.

Jules
                      Course Glasgow's great cause were "pure dead brilliant so we ur" that Jimmy Cranky has a lot to answer for!!!!

Nah my favourite weggie word has to be huvnea as in I huvnea a clue!!!

Hehe.

Lisa
                      Bowed Over
                      Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Eurgh JBJB - my father in law says skin a rabbit when he gets the girls dressed and it winds me up no end!!
                        Lisa - I love the way that people in Glasgow (not sure about the rest of Scotland) say that they stay somewhere rather than live there. Confused Matt no end when he first went to work up there!

Does anyone else have the word ginnel? It means alley - it's used in Yorkshire but my friend who moved to Burnley from Essex when she was little went years without knowing what a ginnel was! Also not sure if this is a Burnley expression or Lancastrian expression but we use the word trollies for trousers. As in 'Come on and put your trolls on!' I'll ask my mum about Yorkshire expressions as we are going over there today for the annual jumble sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                        My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                        My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Originally posted by swirlyarts View Post
                          Does anyone else have the word ginnel?
                          My step-mum uses the word Ginnel for her back passage (ooh, err missus)
                          I had no idea what she was talking about for ages!!

I did think of a Bristol-ian one last night : Some people say "chimley" for chimney.
                          Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Eeeeh, by eck, I know where t'ginnel is!

....I dont think this one's a regional expression, more a generational one, but my dad's 80 and he calls a calculator a ready-reckoner and it cracks me up every time....

Just last year, I went in a tiny book shop in Knaresborough and found a teeny tiny battered old book and bought it, not even knowing what it was, just felt sorry for it.....

...and it turned out to be a Ready Reckoner! 157 pages of calculations from farthings, shillings & pence!

Shaz x
                            Keepsake Kollections
                            & Rossendale Ramblings!

Comment

Originally posted by Focus on Life View Post
                              he calls a calculator a ready-reckoner
                              I've not heard that one before....

For some reason, it made me remember, my mum says "five and twenty past" instead of twenty-five past (o' clock)
                              Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X