Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

yarn bombed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • yarn bombed

    Well, maybe not quite yarn bombed properly as they probably had permission from the local council seeing as it was for a charity, but here is a tree covered with crocheted squares. I came across it yesterday (well it stuck out like a sore thumb from quite a distance away) when I went to Stratford-U-A. Condsidering this was taken after a very heavy rain shower the crochet didn't look saggy from the soaking like I expected it might - the advantage of it being such a snug fit on the tree. Each square commemorates a loved one according to the little sign nearby.

    2014-01-05 14.09.26.jpg2014-01-05 14.09.40.jpg
    View my flickr

    'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

  • #2
    Novel. Are they going to make them into blankets when they take them down?
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

    Comment


    • #3
      It looks great
      Lucy Blossom
      Shop and blog: http://www.lucyblossomcrafts.co.uk
      https://www.facebook.com/LucyBlossomCrafts

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Critchley View Post
        Novel. Are they going to make them into blankets when they take them down?
        There was no information on what might happen to them when they come down. This particular tree is often used for something unusual to be hanging off it....
        View my flickr

        'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

        Comment


        • #5
          I'd love to see something like that!
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

          Comment


          • #6
            Poor tree. I hope its unnatural covering is removed very soon.

            Its probably not quite so bad if natural fibres are used (which will, at least, eventually rot away) but if, as I suspect is usually the case, cheaper, brighter acrylic is used, it needs to be taken down pretty promptly to avoid long-term damage to the poor thing

            Why can't people clothe some ugly concrete thing, or a line of telegraph poles or iron railings, instead of unnecessarily swathing a living, breathing thing in bye-products of the oil industry?


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by eena View Post
              Poor tree. I hope its unnatural covering is removed very soon.

              Its probably not quite so bad if natural fibres are used (which will, at least, eventually rot away) but if, as I suspect is usually the case, cheaper, brighter acrylic is used, it needs to be taken down pretty promptly to avoid long-term damage to the poor thing

              Why can't people clothe some ugly concrete thing, or a line of telegraph poles or iron railings, instead of unnecessarily swathing a living, breathing thing in bye-products of the oil industry?
              It is a good thing that it is a deciduous tree in winter so metabolism has slowed right down and the respiration processes which are needed will be occurring in the roots, which can't be covered in yarn. Also growth is at an absolute minimum during the winter, which is how tree rings form. I expect it will be removed before Spring sets in and the tree comes out of its hibernatory state, ready for the masses of tourists to sit around it when they too arrive.

              For more info on the yarnbombing and the women it is helping you can read here http://www.gaga-uk.org/support-us/the-remembering-tree
              View my flickr

              'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

              Comment


              • #8
                I know how trees grow, and how tree rings form. I learnt that in primary school.

                Whatever the type of tree, and whatever the time of year, wrapping living, breathing things in anything 24/7 for weeks and months on end for mere decoration is not healthy.

                City trees are under a great deal of stress already, and additional stresses imposed by a (probably synthetic) coating which acts to protect pests and encourage fungal growth cannot be welcome at any time of year. In addition, not only is there the possibility of the tree itself being damaged but, even more importantly, the wrapping of a tree in synthetic yarns damages the tree's own ecosystem.

                It remains to be seen whether the yarn will be removed before the tree starts into visible growth, and how disease-riddled it might be under its soggy strait-jacket.

                IME once the novelty wears off it will be forgotten about until someone complains of its dirty, untidy appearance after several months of exposure to the elements, or until some sympathetic person uses a pair of scissors to free it from its sorry, soggy imprisonment.

                What is wrong with dressing a lamp-post, a statue of some municipal worthy, or some other - non-living! - object?

                What is it that drives humans to abuse a living thing so very unnecessarily?

                Poor tree!

                Originally posted by indri View Post
                It is a good thing that it is a deciduous tree in winter so metabolism has slowed right down and the respiration processes which are needed will be occurring in the roots, which can't be covered in yarn. Also growth is at an absolute minimum during the winter, which is how tree rings form. I expect it will be removed before Spring sets in and the tree comes out of its hibernatory state, ready for the masses of tourists to sit around it when they too arrive.

                For more info on the yarnbombing and the women it is helping you can read here http://www.gaga-uk.org/support-us/the-remembering-tree


                Comment


                • #9
                  I think it looks lovely, hopefully they don't leave it there long enough to damage the tree.
                  "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am sure they wont. Cov. Corporation take a great deal of care of their parks etc., They are always in lovely condition.
                    Carol
                    God helps them that help themselves.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by eena View Post

                      Whatever the type of tree, and whatever the time of year, wrapping living, breathing things in anything 24/7 for weeks and months on end for mere decoration is not healthy.
                      It's a tree, so although it does go through the process of respiration, it doesn't actually breathe.


                      Originally posted by eena View Post
                      City trees .......
                      And it's in a town not a city
                      View my flickr

                      'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Wait for it.....wait for it.........!!!! (Lol)

                        Dave

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by eena View Post

                          Its probably not quite so bad if natural fibres are used (which will, at least, eventually rot away) but if, as I suspect is usually the case, cheaper, brighter acrylic is used, it needs to be taken down pretty promptly to avoid long-term damage to the poor thing
                          The reasoning behind using acrylic yarns rather than wool is that wool will absorb 30% of its weight in water, whereas acrylic is not very absorbant. The amount of that water being held by woollen yarn is liable to cause rotting to the bark and trunk of the tree when the wool is against it for some time. The lack of absorbancy of acrylic yarns will help to reduce this impact. The yarn bombing will not be a permanent feature of this tree. A year or two ago it was used as a wish tree.
                          View my flickr

                          'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            thinks like this crop up around Farnham, Surrey, when they have the Unravel Fair. Its great.
                            Charlie

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              What a great and beautiful way to help people in need. Everytime I have ever been to stratford upon avon I have seen a lovely creative and visual stunning scene :-)
                              "Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools"- Napoleon Bonaparte
                              www.fallfromgrace349.wordpress.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X