Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse meat scandal - It's your fault?

Oh no it's not - I hear you cry?

Read this excellent article maybe we are all a little to blame?

http://themakingprogressblues.wordpr...ts-your-fault/

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Oh how I'd love to be able to afford to buy my meat from farmers markets and I look longingly at the organic meat in Waitrose before plumping for the 'normal' stuff unless I'm using it to make baby food. I'm a bit of a supermarket whore and don't have loyalty to any one but do tend to stick to Waitrose (or Sainsbury's at a push) for meat as I learnt a long time ago that Tesco and Asda meat is a bit grim.

I'm just glad I'm no longer a student as I'm sure I'd have been dining on all sorts of unknowns with the budget I had then....actually I probably still was
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Brilliant and so true you do get what you pay for whether in a supermarket trolley or buying a quality and unique handmade gift. Our local butcher is excellent and now doing a roaring trade, good for him he is a craftsman in his field, sources locally mainly all his products are organic but at least you know what you are putting in your mouth. We but milk, cream and ice cream from the local dairy farm and you an taste the difference from supermarket milk. Okay you either have to get the car out or walk cross country to get to him but the dog needs exercise so two jobs in one, stopping in the local farm shop for veggies on the way back. Cooking from scratch nothing like it, better and so satisfying.

Comment

Nowt to do with me, squire, I've been a veggie for almost 40 years

The issue for me is not so much that the food had horse meat in it - after all, people happily eat one animal, why is there an issue with eating a different animal? - but more that the trust between retailer and customer has gone. If they lie about the type of meat in, say, a lasagne, what else are they lying about?
        Heather
        Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

This is the thing Heather it is all about trust and as the CEO of Sainsbury's said it is going to take a long time for that trust to be rebuilt

Comment

So the blogger reckons that the consumers desire for cheap food is the cause of the scandal rather than the greed/fraud of putting a cheaper product in situ and charging the higher price? Don't think so.
            Pat Murphy

http://www.gladturnings.co.uk
            https://www.facebook.com/GladTurnings.Woodturning

Comment

There is something to the argument that the consumer has to accept some of the responsibility. We (as in society not us ) look for cheap, bulk buys, seemingly demand cheaper and cheaper food, easier food, more processed food, food that takes little input from us, bar the chewing.

Why else would supermarkets have rotisseries where you can buy a ready cooked chicken? No one asked where that chicken came from, how it was reared. No one really enquired how you could buy 2 chickens for £3 (I couldn't believe that price tag). I have a friend who bought them to feed her cats!!!!

There is a large section of society that has no idea what cooking is, where food comes from or what a balanced diet is. Cheap and cheerful is what is bought in many households - regardless of perceived class or family income. Why else does M+S do £10 meal deals?

I am as guilty as anyone else at time. I may claim I make from scratch all the time, but I am also likely to buy a processed meal when I think I don't have time!

We are so eager to save time (probably to watch cookery programmes) that we forget to use it in ways that would enrich us or protect us from such scandals! Each side blaming the other, no one taking any responsibility - individual, company or government!

Add that to the money grabbing, ethics free, big business ideology of the food industry and such scandals are almost inevitable!
              Do not watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by woodturningpat View Post
                So the blogger reckons that the consumers desire for cheap food is the cause of the scandal rather than the greed/fraud of putting a cheaper product in situ and charging the higher price? Don't think so.
                got to agree. My first and foremost argument is the fact that products have clearly been labelled as what they're not. If people want to eat horse meat that's their choice, but not mine. I rarely buy ready made meals, but have done in the past. Had they been labelled horse lasagne, would I buy it? No.

I would love to buy at my local butchers all the time, but reality is that I CAN'T afford to. Times are tough for a lot of us and choices we would like to make aren't always a reality. I buy the best cuts of meat I can afford, but no, going to the butchers weekly isn't an option. (My friend went last week and bought two sirloin steaks and four slices of ham and was horrified to be charged just under £20).

So it's o.k spouting we all want things on the cheap, but I bet whoever wrote the blog isn't struggling like a lot of the country is. At the end of the day it comes down to having an informed choice for me about what I would and wouldn't buy.
                Wid

Comment

Originally posted by woodturningpat View Post
                  We were discussing fish last night (as you do!) and someone said there's speculation that some cod products may have been 'mislabelled', if that's true I'll be fuming as I make a conscious decision to pay twice as much for cod fish fingers etc rather than the coley or pollock versions.

And Heather you are right, it's more about the mistrust and the lies rather than the horsemeat and to be honest even though there's been less outcry about the pork in a way I find that even more disgusting as it's led some people to unknowingly eat meat that goes against their religious beliefs.

My mum thought her butcher would be doing a roaring trade but apparently he's been hit by the fallout even though he can trace all his beef back to Daisy or Gertrude in a particular field.
                  Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                    We were discussing fish last night (as you do!) and someone said there's speculation that some cod products may have been 'mislabelled', if that's true I'll be fuming as I make a conscious decision to pay twice as much for cod fish fingers etc rather than the coley or pollock versions.

As cod stocks are so low and there is potential for cod to become extinct I enjoy buying pollock or haddock or anything that isn't cod.

As for horsemeat - I'll eat pretty much any meat but I'd like it to be labelled correctly. I generally buy food from the butchers anyway (I find that it can be cheaper that the supermarket) and I can buy the cuts I want and the exact amounts I want without having to have excess that will just clutter my fridge and freezer.
                    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

The farmers' market where I have my pottery stall had Anglia News there yesterday, doing a piece about all this. Sure, meat prices there are a bit higher than in the supermarket - because the supermarket can buy cheaply in bulk and rip off not only their suppliers, but the public too. But the farmers' market or your local butcher is more eco-friendly, in that there is very little mileage for transporting the meat - the beef sold at my market comes from cows just 2 miles up the road. Also, there is no middle-man, the people there selling the meat are the people that breed the animals. So costs might not be as high as people expect.

I'm vegetarian myself, so haven't been as affected by this as others. But I do buy my milk from the farmers' market, because I don't agree with the inhumane methods used by the big dairy factory farms (they keep cows constantly pregnant and rarely let them out into fields - and their calves are cruelly slaughtered at just one week old and discarded like rubbish). I questioned the farmer who runs my market, and she confirmed that her calves are all allowed to grow up. The females are kept to become dairy cows, and the males are grown to full size and eventually supply the beef she sells.

And of course, if you want to take things further, the fruit and vegetables I buy there are locally grown, absolutely delicious, and pesticide free.
                      Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
                      http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
                      http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

I too buy from butchers as it is usually cheaper. On Wednesday I bought 12 faggots, 2kg of brisket and asked for a bit of liver to try (I always hated it as a kid and wanted to give it a whirl again).

The butcher explained the differences between the types of liver, sliced some up for me, write down how best to cook it and gave it to me - for free - and said that if I wanted to try other offal I should just ask for samples and, where possible, he would be happy to oblige.

All that cost me £14. That is the meat basis for 10 - 12 meals for the two of us. I couldn't get that in a supermarket.

Sliced meats are very expensive in a butcher because they are prime cuts, usually prepared and hung by the butcher, think of it as the equivalent of proper proscuttio rather than the cheap, often multi packs, stuff you buy for the odd sandwich!

It took me years to work that out. It was only when we moved and the butcher became almost as close as the supermarket that we changed our shopping habits. We now shop at local shops because we save money. The same day I bought 2 large bags of veg for £3. All locally grown winter veg, in season, fresh and cheap! It is now chopped up and in the freezer and should last us for about 2 months.

Obviously we do use supermarkets, but now less and less for food. On another forum I am being frugal and so far this month, the money I spent on Wednesday is all the cash I have spent. I have raided cupboards and the freezer and we have eaten well and used the almost out of date foods that might have lurked a bit too long.

If you have time it is worth exploring. You just never know, and it is fun, getting back to being frugal.

Sorry, reading that back it sounds so po faced, middle class and patronising. I am none of those things, honest
                        Do not watch this space

Comment

I have been vegetarian for thirty years so am not really involved. I wonder what's going to happen now? Do we have to breed loads more cattle to make up for all the horses that can now not be eaten? Perhaps more people will become vegetarian?

I'm inclined to think people are not as much to blame as that article makes out. People have to feed their families somehow, modern life the way it is we do not have enough money, most of us work hard just to get by. If the label says it's beef, you're inclined to believe it is beef and it's just a relief that it's affordable. It would never have happened that enough people would stop buying frozen beef meals because it's cheap and there might be something wrong with it.

There's loads more food scandles, like the way hens are treated, millions of them squashed together in a barn and intensive pig farming techniques which is nothing more than torture for the pigs. And the fact that everything we buy comes in loads of plastic packaging that fills the dumps.

But I do feel relieved that I am my family haven't been eating horse for years.
                          "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Originally posted by Eyebright View Post

There's loads more food scandles, like the way hens are treated, millions of them squashed together in a barn and intensive pig farming techniques which is nothing more than torture for the pigs. And the fact that everything we buy comes in loads of plastic packaging that fills the dumps.
                            Another really good reason for buying form a local butcher. I know the pig that is in my freezer, well I wasn't formally introduced, but I know who grew him about 10 miles away. Same for chickens, I have my own for eggs, they are spoiled, and the ones for the pot come from about 5 miles away.

And don't get me started on packaging. I get very strange looks as I stand outside supermarkets and unpack everything I have bought and dump the packaging in their bins. I have been rudely accosted by security guards twice in the last year - management usually apologises. Other shoppers have been known to pass comment - often rude. Apparently they get charged for waste removal, I live in hope that my small contribution might make them rethink.

I also have a pile of Post Its from that nice online stationary company that has a red apple and a green pepper saying "I don't like being suffocated" - I leave them on stuff that is overpackaged - and no, OH NEVER shops with me, apparently I embarrass him!

Again I sound truly weird.... maybe I am a little less normal than I thought
                            Do not watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by StefC View Post

Again I sound truly weird.... maybe I am a little less normal than I thought
                              I don't think you sound weird at all:-)

To cook a meal with fresh ingredients is actually less expensive than buying ready meals, and you know what is going into it?

With a little forward planning with menu money can be saved.

I have just checked Tesco website - a single portion everyday shepherds pie is £1.00 so for a family of 4 that would be £4.00 - I am sure most of us could make a shepherd pie for 4 for less than that and it would be larger?

Jane
                              www.just-soaps.com
                              Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                              FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                              Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Working...
                              X