Smelly plant help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelly plant help

Yes I know it's a rather random title but I'm looking for suggestions from all you green fingered crafters out there please.

As our bins only get emptied every fortnight they tend to get very smelly in the summer so I'm looking at planting some shrubs etc in the flower border next to them in the hope it'll mask the smell a bit. So I'm after some suggestions of smelly (hopefully nice smelly) plants that I can buy in the garden centre and which are easy to maintain as gardening really isn't my forte.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Mints - any sort of mints. They will grow like weeds with a minimum of care (they like moisture) and you can throw a few sprigs in and around the bins for added deodorisation.

Even the mint you buy in the supermarket can be used for cuttings, and if it's growing in a pot already, its even easier.

If you can get to a garden centre with a range of mints, I recommend eau-de-cologne mint; I grow it around the area which my cats use as a toilet. It doesn't put them off at all but seems to put the flies off.

If you can wait I can send you some rooted cuttings later in the year - it grows so vigorously I have to rip it out and throw it away so the cats can still access their 'toilet'!

Comment

Depends what space you have and where you keep the bins but a trellis fence covered in sweet peas will give a lovely scent throughout the summer. However they will need sunshine so if your bins are like ours and tucked away out of site this suggestion is probably not suitable!

David
      www.panachegifts.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Panach...60271863992797

Twitter @PanacheGifts

Comment

We grow honeysuckle on the trellis near our bins.
        Wid

Comment

Just get your wheelie bin washed every two weeks or hose it out yourself. You can get wheelie bin deodorant powder. If you bag all your waste and keep the bin in the shade it heps.

Comment

Ooh, you think there might be a plant smelly enough to disguise the smell of one week old babies nappies on a hot day? Good luck with that quest!
            View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Originally posted by Craftychez View Post
              Just get your wheelie bin washed every two weeks or hose it out yourself. You can get wheelie bin deodorant powder. If you bag all your waste and keep the bin in the shade it heps.
              I'd rather go the natural route, we tried the wheelie bin deodorant last year and thought it was rubbish. Definitely can't afford to get it cleaned every fortnight and doing it myself just isn't very practical at the moment. I've been known to keep leftovers/out of date meat etc in the fridge until bin day as the thought of it festering for nearly a fortnight in a warm bin gives me the heebies - can't really do that now though with baby food and milk in the fridge.

The bin gets the sun first thing in the morning but is in the shade most of the day so I'll have to pass on the sweet pea idea, might try honeysuckle but really like the mint idea - and if it grows like weeds then it's my kind of plant

Thanks all for your help and suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                I'd rather go the natural route, we tried the wheelie bin deodorant last year and thought it was rubbish.

That's why you put it in the bin then
                View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Let me know if you still want some roots in a couple of months - I'll be ripping it out of the ground so the things I want to grow won't be strangled!

Comment

If the bins are in front of a fence or wall (with a bit of trellis) you could grow a climbing jasmine. We have one that grows like mad over an arch and in the summer it is full of white flowers with a really strong beautiful scent.

Is there a grassy path round the border or en route to the bins? If so, plant some camomile which will spread into a lawn (doesn't need mowing) and every time you walk on it the scent will be released. (We got it from the internet but garden centres should stock it I think).
                    Kate
                    www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

Get hold of some old bins, buckets, baths that sort of thing and make a partition in front of or around the bins and fill them with herbs, minty, rosemary, sage, thyme, marjoram, every time you go to the bin just bush the herbs, useful and smells a lot nicer.

pete
                      "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                      Facebook

Website

Comment

If your bin lids fits tightly the smell shouldn't come out. We have three German shepherds and a house cat, they can poop for England! I'm talking about carrier bags full of poop! If its snowed and you can't see the poop until the snow goes there is easily a carrier bag full after two or three days. I tie the poop up in bags and hose the bin down when its empty. I don't use bin deodorant but I do hold my breath when I lift the lid. It doesn't smell when you walk past the bin with the lid closed but I did have to ask for a new bin last year when the lid didn't fit properly. Flies were able to get in and I can't bear maggots in the bin, it did honk then.

Comment

If your bin was in full sun and your soil was chalky or sandy I'd say lavender and the curry plant.

Comment

Plant some herbs and lavender, lemon balm is bushy and smells of lemons!! lavender smells lovely and you can harvest the flowers... but herbs, if you brush past or crush the leaves... it releases their aroma... or you could crush some leaves and chuck them in the bin x

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
                              If your bin was in full sun and your soil was chalky or sandy I'd say lavender and the curry plant.
                              Now I know lavender does grow well in the soil around here so I'm definitely adding that to my shopping list thank you

Originally posted by Nellys View Post
                              Plant some herbs and lavender, lemon balm is bushy and smells of lemons!!
                              Will definitely go with the herbs suggestion too and like someone said they can also be used as well as just smelt A friend who has far greener fingers than me has tried unsuccessfully to grow lemon balm (or was it lemon grass?) so I'm thinking it might not be suitable for our soil.

Originally posted by eena View Post
                              Let me know if you still want some roots in a couple of months - I'll be ripping it out of the ground so the things I want to grow won't be strangled!
                              Thank you so much eena, if you remember at the time can you give me a gentle nudge - although who knows by then my own mint may be running wild too!

Comment

Working...
                              X