Old Age Pensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Age Pensioner

Yes, this year I officially become an old age pensioner, or senior citizen as they now say On the 2nd of June I will receive my state pension, bus pass and heating allowance - probably just in time before the government decide to move the goalposts even further apart
    Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Ours have already moved Pauline and we do not get the state pension until 66 now, another 11 years. All I can say is thank God for a good company pension all those years ago coming into fruition when 60 along with a lump sum, it makes selling my soul to the corporate blue chip world worth it.

Comment

Welcome to the club.
      My OH's taken out one of his pensions and although I'm nagging him all the time to count the pennies and stopping him buying what he fancies he is enjoying the life....now. It's taken 6 months to adjust. At last he's living (80%) in the moment.
      I took out my pension before I wanted to (it was a going mortgage free thing) but I'm not stopping working (because my audience need me ) so it's lovely having that buffer of money trickling in. I was living my main life on a shoestring as it was (eg. make your own sandwiches don't buy them in London, eat out of tins when camping don't eat out, walk don't pay for transport or parking unless you are desparate, eat a bit less for tea and eat the left overs for lunch next day etc) so nothing's changed for me, I just have to batter my OH into that mind set.
      So all in all it looks set to be a nice life and I hope yours is too.

They make you jump through hoops to get your bus pass...but maybe that's to check you can actually step on a bus...ho...ho....ho.......

Comment

I've been 'retired' - daft word! - for a few years now, and I LOVE it.

Really, the freedom of not having to work (although I truly loved my work, and it has enabled me to work all over the world) is utterly wonderful, and I would have liked this opportunity much earlier in my life, if only for a couple of years!

Until I retired, I had never not 'worked' - in my age group, many professions which now involve university education and the concomitant student life, were learnt 'on the job' with lecture attendance out of working hours or - how daringly modern! - on 'block release'. A few weeks of college attendance with lectures and study visits all day, every day, sometimes on Saturday mornings, too, and homework/self-study, three times a year. A very hard slog!

When I decided to retire, I did worry that I might be bored after a short time, but decided to give it a go, albeit signing up in advance to do a locum over the Christmas and New Year period following my retirement the previous August

Well, I have never had a moment unoccupied since, and I even regretted signing up for the locum (although the money was nice). I won't do Christmas and New Year locums again in a hurry - but I do still attend CPD and work the minimum number of hours per year to maintain valid registration.

Why?

Because my work was my life for so long, I could never visualise it (my life) without working, and there's still a tiny bit of me which doesn't want that door back into a different world to be closed forever. I suspect, though, that in a couple of years I will let it close and lock itself without any regrets.

Don't underestimate the changes that retirement will make to your life - but don't fear or avoid it, either - just make sure to embrace the positive changes and find work-rounds for the negative ones!

Comment

My dad was a chemist and did locum work until he was 80. It was brilliant. Kept him active and with it. Paid for holidays. Yet he still had relaxing time.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
            Ours have already moved Pauline and we do not get the state pension until 66 now, another 11 years.
            I got depressed the other day when I read the new proposals for the flat rate pension - they are sneaking in making retirement 67 at the same time Goal posts aren't just moving they're gathering speed!

Catherine
            CatkinJane - Handmade Material Things
            http://www.catkinjane.co.uk/
            http://www.facebook.com/CatkinJane
            Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/CatkinJane
            Blog http://catkinjane.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by CatkinJane View Post
              I got depressed the other day when I read the new proposals for the flat rate pension - they are sneaking in making retirement 67 at the same time Goal posts aren't just moving they're gathering speed!

Catherine
              Sadly Catherine there are just too many people in this country getting something for nothing and there are those that have to pay and suffer accordingly.

Comment

Goal posts aren't just moving they're gathering speed!
                Visions of us chasing high speed goal posts around on our high speed mobility scooters

Comment

When I started work in 1968, I knew that 2/3 of my patients would die within 5 years, many much sooner. When I retired in 2008, I knew that 2/3 of my patients would have a normal or near-normal life expectancy, which itself was increasing continually. This is in just one very narrow field of medicine.

So it has for a long time been abundantly clear - even to me and I am no statistician - that state pension age would HAVE to undergo a revolution, as the life expectancy of all populations in the Western world has been increasing.

The nettle of state pension age should have been firmly grasped by UK governments in power much, much sooner. Both major parties are equally to blame, in my view, for being too afraid to do this at a more opportune, and much earlier, time.

It could then have been very gently stretched out over a generation or so, and would have been a fairly painless exercise.

I think women should have been put on the same pension age (with appropriate safeguards, of course) as men many years ago. We live longer, healthier lives in general than men anyway, so will receive it for longer.

To be honest, I consider it nonsensical that a healthy, active, woman like myself, qualified and experienced in a profession in which there are shortages of staff worldwide, should have been able to claim state pension and other 'old age' benefits five years earlier than a man born on the same date. Do we as women want equality, or do we not?????

Given, though, that I have never had a penny in state benefits in my life, other than when I was caring for my dying mother - and was saving the stateat least £300/week in fees, while receiving the princely sum of £27.50/wk - I thought I'd try living a (hypocritical?) life of leisure ...

Comment

My first real job was a Nanny while living in Germany back in 1966 - eeeek how many years ago??? lol. Apart from a couple of years, while raising my three kids, I have always worked (be it part time or full time) and with the mention of 'widening the goalposts to pay towards those that have never paid a penny in taxes etc, walk into this country and take more of we can ask for (well it wasn't said that way but it was meant that way I'm sure, lol).......... it really made me want to scream!!! But that's a different subject and also I've just found out I got my date wrong, its the 6th July.....and if I am not mistaken, I wont get paid till the 6th August as they pay you after the month? Is that correct?
                    Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Working...
                    X