new sewing machine, can't wait to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new sewing machine, can't wait to start

got myself a new sewing machine last night. got the bobbin filled and machine threaded. have even had a go at sewing, well alright it was more like a 9" straight line but even so. now all set to have a go at the fancy stitches. i have a "very hungry caterpillar" quilt half done but put it one side for a fortnight waiting on this new machine. all set to restart it. all chuffed.

there is one good side to being housebound by snow.
    juliescrafting.blogspot.co.uk

Your so lucky to have a new toy to play with, make sure you show us what you make.
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

i know, i used to think it was sad to be so chuffed about household things but i suppose maturity, or just age, changes your opinions. i love starting off with fabric and thread and having a finished piece, even if it is curtains or cushion covers, at the end.

Comment

Which one did you buy? Please, write a review when you try it!

http://nest2rest.blogspot.com
        http://nest2rest.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh lucky you, i love my sewing machine, but the best thing i ever did buy was my overlocker, i think they go hand in hand, making things is so satisfying, please show your creations when you have finished really would like to see what you make
          www.anothercraftdone.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

[QUOTE=angelajela;561481]Which one did you buy? Please, write a review when you try it!

i replaced an older brother with a brother FS-40. i had mainly wanted a machine that did blanket stitch (after applying a large dinosaur with hand done blanket stitch i decided that it would be easier to have a machine that did it for me). V happy so far with my very limited trial.

Comment

I recently got a sewing machine for the first time (after hand-stitching all of my projects for many years) and I felt like I was 8 years old receiving a Hungry Hippo's game again! Its the best feeling in the world hitting that foot pedal and watching it zoom along the fabric. Its only a simple Janome and its idiot proof (would need to be for me) but I adore it. My boyfriend wont ever understand why I'm so excited by my sewing machine and it's great to find others who might understand my glee!

Comment

the old machine is going to my 77 year old mother who was an overlocker by profession and still harps on about how she would like one now. i have a queue of projects waiting, finish this quilt, do another roman blind for my daughter, curtains and cushions for the same daughter, and that's just for starters!

Comment

I have a sewing machine - it's a singer and was a wedding gift to my grandmother... about 100 years ago!

Sadly, I have no idea how to thread it, but would love to fish it out from under the stairs and have a go at it. It only does one style of stitch, though.

Lenny
                  ~~The old ways are the future~~

Comment

The century-old Singers are THE BEST. The plate carrying serial numbers and letter on it indicates when and where it was made.

If you want to get it going yourself, let me know and I'll send you a link to a wonderful free guide about fixing and using old non-electric Singers.

Comment

A guide would be great. I like the control I could have over the speed... I'll have a look for a plate to try to find the serial number.

I must confess that I have just bought a 2nd hand Brother XL2230. A bargain for £10! The bobbin winder doesn't work (I'll try to fix it) but it does far more than I need it to, thought I suspect I will soon find reasons to use it.

Comment

Right go to Tools For Self Reliance here and download their wonderful guides from the page here. Then think about sending them a donation for their work!

TBH, if the machine was in working order when it was put away, it probably needs nothing more than cleaning and oiling.

Comment

The machine, I think was/is in great condition. It still has the original case, which could well be oak. I'd have to check. It's just struck me, though, that I have no idea where the key to open it is!

Comment

Working...
                          X