Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still not happy...does this sound familiar???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still not happy...does this sound familiar???

Now I am back into my crafting, I am thinking more and more about the option of reducing my hours at work to focus on crafts. I am getting really fed up of not being able to spend time doing what I want to do. I know we all have to deal with it, to pay the mortgage, bills etc etc, but at the same time why should I spend the majority of my life in the rat race, unhappy?

Ideally, I would like to cut down to 3 days a week, giving me the other 2 for crafts, plus weekends. This would give me the time I need to start really promoting my work. Over the summer I did very well from my mosaics, but had to stop because I couldn't manage it all along with full time work. I was working very long hours at work, crafting in every other spare minute, plus trying to manage everything else that life throws at you.

Based on the summer's success, crafting could part fund my income to pay my bills, but on the otherhand it's not a guarenteed income.

Has anyone else been in this situation and can anyone offer any advice?
    Sorry - I know I have brought this up before.
    Last edited by Katianne; 08-11-2007, 08:36 AM.
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Sorry I am in the same boat as you. I have found that I have gotten really fed up at my day job because I am getting quite stressed - nothing to do with the day job but the crafting - I just don't get the time that I want to do the candles but like you say the fairs are hit and miss and not guaranteed at least with the day job I am guaranteed a wage. Still doesn't make me feel any better though.

Sorry.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I'm in total agreement with you.

I'm getting less and less motivated in my day job and would rather be at home crafting but that just doesn't pay bills, unfortunately.

I'll just have to keep dreaming that one day I can craft all day
      Debs

My website: www.debeadz.co.uk

My blog: www.debeadz.blogspot.com

Comment

Sorry all, don't want to be a moaner, I know that's just life !!! Helps to say how you're feeling though.
        Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Hi Kate

I know you do the same job as I used to (have to admit I do miss it a bit) and I cut my hours before leaving altogether. I know this time of year is the busiest so no wonder you're feeling like this.

If you've got a nice boss or line manager who you can talk freely with I'd suggest you have a chat with them. Also, where I worked there was always a few people off on long-term sick leave or long gaps between people leaving and new ones starting so there was always the chance for part-time staff to add extra days/hours if they wanted on a temporary basis.
          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by Katianne View Post
            but at the same time why should I spend the majority of my life in the rat race, unhappy?

Bravo to you.I agree and am in the same boat.
            I work 24/7 on my jewellery, either thinking, drawing,designing, researching, making etc.
            Can you imagine how much work a company would get out of us, and how much money we'd make them if they employed us to do our dream jobs.
            https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

I have to say-I was also in the same boat! I managed to take my crafts stuff into work in my last 2 jobs and would sit at my desk making things just so that I would loose my mind! There was always a balance between not having enough time to do my arty stuff and not making enough money from it because I didn't have the time.
              I ended up loosing my rag one day in work and writing a resignation note there and then...with no other job to go to and no intention of working for for another idiot boss again I decided to just dive in! It's amazing how focused you become when your hobby is your only source of income!...You have to be sure you can make something of it but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet!
              Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
              Dichroic Glass Tutorials
              Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

I too have a similar problem, however, I love my day job and I love beading, if I left my job to bead full time I would miss work, however, I never get enough time to devote to the beads because I work the usual 5-days a week.......

I sometimes stay up all night to bead, then am too tired at work the next day to do my job properly........ Then sometimes, I work 12-14 hour days and come home and can only stare longingly at the beads wanting to string them together and make pretty things but too tired to even pick up a pair of pliers.......

Is it possible to hold down 2 dream jobs? I wish my days had an extra 7 hours!
                www.beadlab.com

Comment

It's a tricky one - I'm lucky in that I'm staying at home to look after the girls but I do work full time at my crafting around them which is hard. Can you just give up 1 day at the moment and see how it goes from there? What does your other half say? Will there still be enough money coming in?
                  Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                  My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                  My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

I gave up work a few years ago primarily because I wanted to stay at home with my children. We had sacrifices to make like going down to one car and not paying for Sky tv etc. The most practical thing we did was to go through our out goings and incomings very carefully and find out where we could make cut backs in order for me to leave. Before we did this I would never have believed I could give up work. As long as you have enough money to live and support your new business, then I would go for it? Especially if you don't have any children. You know your mirrors sell so it worth taking the plunge and realising an ambition. Good luck.
                    Amanda
                    xx

Comment

I did discuss it with my BF last time and we agreed into me going down to 4 days a week. In the end though I decided to calm down the crafts a bit, which I have ended up really missing and am now getting stressed again because I feel that I spend all my time either working or doing domestic tasks. Crafts is what I love doing so looking back it probably wasn't the best solution.

I am having a girly day tomorrow with a friend so think i will talk it through with her and get her advice too. Then will need to sit down with BF again and then work if I decide to go for it. We can afford to do it, as we looked at that before, plus if I can really make my crafts into something to add to my income that would be great. i know its not gaurenteed, but I suppose as long as you ensure that you can survive without the craft income, that's ok.

Thank you all for the advice and support.

Please feel free to keep it coming!
                      Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

You know it will work and people will buy your stuff as you said you were really busy in the summer
                        You also know you can afford it as you said you and bf have worked it out.
                        You also know that you can't do the crafting and your 'proper job' both together... you've said you tried that and you chose to slow the crafting down.
                        Life is too short to be wondering what could have been.
                        Do it.
                        Cut down your hours and spend the rest of the time making marvelous mosaics.
                        There that told you, now go
                        Go on
                        Do it.
                        Now.
                        http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Now that's me told! Do I possibly have any other choice? I don't think I do. Thanks, you are all FAB!
                          Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

No, no choice at all.
                            I have decided this is what you need.
                            Telling.
                            So off you go then.
                            Done it yet??????
                            http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Life aint no dress rehearsal, ...just tought Id add that,probably a lyric form a song or summit.
                              https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X