Anyone have good latin knowledge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have good latin knowledge?

I was sitting here uploading a photo to the forum and it came up as a little red X so I clicked on it thinking of deleting it and got the "Image Settings" box come up which also has a little red X followed by the following latin:

" Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Mauris nibh quam, ornare nec vehicula vel, elementum eu metus. Donec sit amet risus vel neque pellentesque congue. Nulla placerat, mi non imperdiet hendrerit, elit augue vehicula mauris, vitae dictum massa tortor ut tortor. Vivamus eget risus tortor. Vestibulum nec adipiscing risus. Duis sit amet lectus felis, eget laoreet est. "

It's been a very long time since I did school latin. Anyone good at latin? I can't be doing with these google translations as they sometimes come out with gobbledegook (love that word!)
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

You do not need to translate it, it is what printers use to format a layout before going with actual print/text.
    Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

I may not need a translation, but having a copy of Winnie Ille Pu and Domus Anguli Puensis on my bookshelf means I'm curious what it might mean, so I'd like a translation!!
      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Here you go Llorem ipsum translations and explanation
        Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

Jolly good. I love latin translations they are great

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis
          View my flickr

Comment

Gee y'all are impressive! I feel so inadequate!

Comment

Oh that last bit I wrote means : I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream....
              View my flickr

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
                Gee y'all are impressive! I feel so inadequate!
                Me too Susan. OH is a bit of a Latin buff so I suffer it frequently.
                Carol
                God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I remember my first latin lesson consisted of the following statements:

Matella est mater (Matella is the mother)

Caecilius est pater (Caecilius is the father)

Quintus est filius (Quintus is the son)

Grumio est coquus (Grumio is the cook)

Cerberus est canis (Cerberus is the dog)

Quintus in trinclino bibit (Quintus is in the dining room drinking)

and then there were the verb endings: bam bas bat bamus batis bant.

Latin and greek knowledge is helpful to us scientists in helping figure out what some sciencey terms mean (and then there's all those scientific names of all the species that inhabit our world).
                  View my flickr

Comment

Yep us it all the time when design web pages or anything with text content..

Have a look at http://www.lipsum.com/

basically you say you want 4 paragraphs and it produces text for you to fill in the space to design into a page.

When you pitch a design something like "blah blah blah" looks bad and unreal vs some latin

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Working...
                    X