Interesting Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Article

Guardian article talks about crafts in Cardiff.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/cardiff/20...market-comment
    Stephen
    Website - Soy of the North
    Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
    Twitter - random thoughts
    Facebook - more random thoughts

That's true of a lot of places I am afraid. It is a viscious circle. If you go to the cheaper fairs in village and church halls you are unlikely to get the footfall and those that do tun up ofteh think it will be like the old style church bazaars or jumble sales. If you go to the more expensive venues there is no guarantee that people will spend and not many crafters have the capital to fork out £100 plus for a 6' table. Personally I would like to see some of the empty shops being taken over by crafting co-operatives where a number of crafters club together to both supply stock, split the costs and man the gallery.If possible with the crafts being not only exhibited but demonstrated as well. Certain crafts need to be lifted out of the 'home made' mentality of the public and into the 'exclusive handmade' genre. There are also a number of crafts that I personally think are well under sold, the miniature making and quilling I se on her e for example are ofte exquisite and yet rarely seen outside of crafting circles. Those of us who try to make all or part of our living from our crafts perhaps need to start being pro active and actually do something about it. Maybe something is being done and someone can give examples?

pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

There currently is something just like what you are talking about near me. It's called Made in Newcastle.They took over an empty shop and turned it into a craft workshop/store for 6 months. Unfortunatly they are closing at the end of this month.
      Stephen
      Website - Soy of the North
      Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
      Twitter - random thoughts
      Facebook - more random thoughts

Comment

A good article but it is also the public that need to be taught the value of handmade and I have found over the last few years that more and more are buying cheap imports regardless of the length of time that import will last, they need to make their money stretch further. Handmade will come back into fashion, everything goes in circles just a case of being ready for when the trend turn happens.

An event near us which has always been handmade is now having bought in goods and the rents are not cheap, last year only had 2 handmade stands competing with the rest and some was cheap tat, so very hard but that is down to the organisers to ensure that only handmade allowed and if they cannot fill the normal venue to look for something smaller, rooms in hotels that may only have 6 stalls but if all handmade could do just as well, we all have to think outside the box.

Comment

Very interesting article. Thank you so much for sharing. That is really true; all previous fashion trends return nowadays and people began to value more the handmade things.
          personalised birthday cards

Christmas greeting cards

Comment

Working...
          X