Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another look at The Purple Hat ~ How old are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another look at The Purple Hat ~ How old are you?

Another interesting poem on growing old from the eyes of a woman. Good resource for a discussion on ageing

THE PURPLE HAT

Age 3: She looks at herself and sees a Queen.

Age 8: She looks at herself and sees Cinderella.

Age 15: She looks at herself as the "Ugly Sister"-"Mom, I can't go to school looking like this!"

Age 20: She looks at herself and sees, "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"-but decides she's going out anyway.

Age 30: She looks at herself and sees, "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"-but decides she doesn't have time to fix it so she's going out anyway.

At 40: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"-but says, "At least I'm clean," and goes out anyway.

Age 50: She looks at herself, sees "I am", and goes wherever she wants to go.

Age 60: She looks at herself and reminds herself of all the people who can't even see themselves in the mirror anymore. Goes out and conquers the world.

Age 70: She looks at herself and sees wisdom, laughter and ability, goes out and enjoys life.

Age 80: Doesn't bother to look. Just puts on a purple hat and goes out to have fun with the world.

Maybe we should all grab that purple hat earlier.

Food for thought?

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Very good Jane, I think as one gets older you grow into your own skin and get where you realise that you do not care what people think when they look at you, providing you are happy with who you are.

Me? I am at the 'I am" stage and will do what I want not what is expected of me and have fun along the way.

Comment

There's the Red Hat Society, too.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
        How interesting ~ do elaborate
        Last edited by greannancrafts; 12-04-2011, 07:17 PM.
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I am in my 2nd childhood stage so am a little bit of several things, and for several reasons am finding life becoming better not worse. Having kids who say unashamedly "I love you" helps and when they warn someone to be careful cos I can be daft I feel quite proud. Sort of role reversal. Knowing someone loves you and thinks you are special is a big help as well. Otherwise I suppose I am in the 'Goes out and conquers the world' stage. And I will never wear a purple hat in public no matter how old I get LOL

Pete
          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
          Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
            Yes do! we won't even mention Red Shoes

Comment

I always thought it was a society for widows or single mature ladies but that's not a requirement after all. but I never see men with the ladies on their outings, at many markets...

Here's a simple explanation from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Society

My mother had that poem (the whole thing) read at her funeral.

And there's the official website - quite elaborate:

http://www.redhatsociety.com/

What's wrong with red shoes? How else would you get home?? Well, but those are ruby slippers, not "red shoes." There's a diff...

About 7 years ago, we were traveling and the car went absolutely dead. In the middle of nowhere. We got a tow to the nearest little town, which was sort of a touristy place...lots of old fashioned shops and cafés, and a huge golf course! So, we checked in to a motel, at which was staying a large group of RHS golf gals...they were such a hoot! The were all tan as could be, and avid golfers...competing in a tournament. Every night, they gathered around the pool and broke out the wine...I had a glass or two with them! They were great fun!!
              Last edited by removed10; 12-04-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
                Yes do! we won't even mention Red Shoes
                Red Shoes....ooooooh how I love red shoes Can i create an new one? "It doesn't matter how old you are, when in doubt just put on your shiny red shoes and go out and party with the world" I think I could abide by that rule, after all, red shoes are magic right?

Jo
                www.alongcamejo.squarespace.com

Comment

“Will the lady in the red hat please….”
                  The voice faltered and got lost on the breeze.
                  It cracked and continued with a wheeze
                  “Leave the men alone and not tease”.

She was young enough to be pert with them
                  She was old enough to be curt them.
                  Mature enough not to hurt them
                  Wise enough not to flirt with them.
                  Carol
                  God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

That's great Carol!!

Comment

You know what they say about red shoes? red shoes = no knickers!
                      Me? I wear both
                      www.belovedly.co.uk
                      www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
                      www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

Originally posted by alibear View Post
                        Me? I wear both
                        Can't say I've heard that one LOL. Now I'll be wondering every time I see a woman with red shoes on LOL.

Pete
                        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                        Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by alibear View Post
                          Me? I wear both
                          Red HAT, no drawers I think it is.

And don't wear patent shoes in case they see you have no knickers on in the reflection LOL

Mo.XX
                          Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                          Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                          www.bodrighy.co.uk
                          https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Originally posted by MornieG Jewellery View Post
                            Red HAT, no drawers I think it is.

And don't wear patent shoes in case they see you have no knickers on in the reflection LOL

Mo.XX
                            If I wasn't too much of a gentleman I'd be tempted to ask how you know that Mo? LOL

Pete
                            Facebook

Website

Comment

My Mum always said red hat no knickers, and the patent shoes was a ban by the Nuns fo my Convent School for that very reason in case the boys could see the reflection of you knickers in your shoes LOL

So now you know Pete !!

Mo.XX
                              Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                              Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                              www.bodrighy.co.uk
                              https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Working...
                              X