W.I anyone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.I anyone??

Hi I've just joined the forum ( big smile to everyone!)
    I have been wondering lately about joining the W.I I've inquired by email and they meet every 2nd Wednesday of the month, but I don't really know what to expect, I'm 24 and a lot of people have said I'm too young but j thought it had got more modern lately?

Any info anyone can give me I would appreciate, what the group does and what to expect etc

Thanks everyone and hope our paths cross again

Kimberley x
    Kimberley-loving love

Blog
    Facebook Page

WI's are usually older people, but I have come accross several with quite a younger contingent. I do talks to WI's and other local interest groups.
    I'd love to join one of our local ones, but simply don't have the time.
    I see nothing wrong with joining up even if you are younger. You all share common interests. They are always going to be in need of young blood and you may be welcomed withopen arms and once one younger person is in the ranks, more may join.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Hi and welcome, I have too been thinking about joining the W.I.and have the same reservations as you. Will follow theard with interest ...I'm also your first blog follower ... looking forward to seeing some pictures x
      www.belovedly.co.uk
      www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
      www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I should just bite the bullet and pop along, even though u hate going new places by myself!!
        Thanks Alibear that means a lot, never had a blog before so I'm trying to get to grips with it! Have done about a quarter of the scarf (yay!) so I'll try and update x
        Kimberley-loving love

Blog
        Facebook Page

Comment

Our local WI is made up mainly of young Mums and the majority are under 35. No matter the age of local membership they are usually a very welcoming organisation and have come a long way from the old jolly jam makers image. I hope you do go along and that you have fun....and come back and tell us all about it of course

Comment

One local one got expelled, says it all.............. and the average age was about 65, must have been fun. Used to be a member some years ago and with a friend were on a sub committee about how to take the group forward, this was back in the 90's and we both gave up and resgined because they would not listen wanted our input but ignored or pooh poohed it, mind you they must now been in their 80's/90's so like you may give it a go again. My neighbour is a member and she is certainly not that old or stuffy you can always join and if not for you leave, it is really down to the individual and the group you join but good luck
            Last edited by Caroleecrafts; 05-03-2011, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Right, so i went to my first W.I meeeting last night, it was quite good. The only problem....they don't do any crafts howeve there is a lady who zoomed up to me as soon as i said i was interested in crafts and declared she wanted to start a crafty club up within the W.I so it could happen
              They also have a gardening club, which i absolutely got sooo excited about and someone there does painting classes.
              So all in all, whilst the meeting didn't really thrill me what i may have got out of it have, a few things in the pipeline that could be exactly what i was looking for.
              Although i am still going to go to one next week thats in another village down the road to see what kind of group they are, apparently they are all different e.g crafts, baking, local community. You just have to find the right one for you, and you are allowed to join more than one

I would say, anyone thinking of going, DO GO, they were so friendly and new people are so welcomed, will def be going back to this group next month

K x
              Last edited by Bobley; 10-03-2011, 01:41 PM.
              Kimberley-loving love

Blog
              Facebook Page

Comment

Don't forget about your discount at Denman College if you are a member, their courses come highly recommended (take a look at their website). I would really like to join but I work and the evening WI locally is oversubscribed!!!

http://www.thewi.org.uk/standard.aspx?id=209
                Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X