Where can a 14 year old get work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can a 14 year old get work?

...... my little baby boy is 14 (he will be 15 in November) he gets pocket money but obviously like most teenage boys wants more money to go out with his friends (and his brand new girlfriend eeeekkkkk!!!).

I enquired about delivering the local free paper but they only paid 2.5 pence per paper for a local round delivering 144 papers this worked out at a whopping £3.60 - sorry no chance - that really is slave labour.

What else could he do and how would we go about finding out.

Thanks you lovely people.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

ummmmmmmmmm....

Coffee shops
    Washing up in restaurants
    Delivering papers
    Dog walking
    Baby sitting
    Gardening ...

What's his interests ?

Lots of shop's like computer game shops etc.. ?

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Well he is staying on at school he is hopefully studying to become a Pharmacist - however I think he fancies becoming a computer game designer more - but he is in the process of making up his mind.

His ideal part time job would be in a computer games shop (he would think he has died and gone to heaven) but I thought to work in a shop you had to be 16 - my head is buzzing trying to figure this out.

Cheers.

Lisa
      Bowed Over
      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

We have had 14yr olds work in the ice cream shop... they are allowed to work if they have a work permit which is a form that their teacher and parents have to sign.. then there are guidelines as to how many hours they can work.. i forget now but it's something like not after 7pm at night and only 2 hours on a sunday but the rest of the week they can work more, just need to be given appropriate breaks etc.. We also had a child welfare woman come and check that it was ok for them to work in the shop due to the hot dangerous coffee machine which may bite them Haha But they said it was fine due to the amount of space behind the counter (?)
        AS for wages.. 3.60 isn't that bad for a 14yr old.. although we start them at more than that (usually 4.50) from the feedback we have got we are one of the higher payers for that age, i've had people come from jobs where they've been on about 3.25 an hour!!
        So i would send him anywhere, pubs cafes etc to ask about kitchen staff, and it's always best to send him on his own/get him to ring up, it puts me off when it looks like their parent has dragged them out to find a job!!
        Good luck!!
        http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by icecreamgirl View Post
          AS for wages.. 3.60 isn't that bad for a 14yr old..
          Nah £3.60 was for the whole paper round which would take him hours and hours to deliver all the papers and all he would get would be £3.60 so he thought stuff that no working all day for £3.60. I don't know if a newsagent would pay more though cause it was the local free paper that we got in touch with.

Thanks for that.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
            Nah £3.60 was for the whole paper round which would take him hours and hours to deliver all the papers and all he would get would be £3.60 so he thought stuff that no working all day for £3.60. I don't know if a newsagent would pay more though cause it was the local free paper that we got in touch with.

Thanks for that.

Cheers.

Lisa

Oh golly!!! i guess he won't be doing that then!!!!!!!!!!
            http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

I know its really hard for 14 yrs olds to get work - my daughter didnt get anything until she was a bit older . Here is a useful link about what they can/cant do (so you can make sure he is being treated properly if he does get a job!): http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/...hts/DG_4002945

Good Luck !
              Mel

Comment

That's great, I will have a look and let Conner see so he can decide what he wants to do. Ideally he would want a part time job that would give him experience for when he finishes his studies but I think he just wants money so he isn't always scrounging off mummy and daddy. He gets £10 a week but that goes no where a trip to the pictures and that's it gone.

Cheers.

Lisa

Last edited by Bowed Over; 01-08-2007, 11:05 AM.
                Bowed Over
                www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Flyering is a good one.. Good money..

Maybe he could flyer for u too..

I you got say 1,000 flyers and he went to every shop that sells candles and handed them out to the customers going in and out

Also send him too art centers, craft shops etc to leave a loads of your flyers..

Keep it in the family

Comment

Originally posted by 0103media View Post
                    Flyering is a good one.. Good money..

Maybe he could flyer for u too..

I you got say 1,000 flyers and he went to every shop that sells candles and handed them out to the customers going in and out

Also send him too art centers, craft shops etc to leave a loads of your flyers..

Keep it in the family
                    Now there's an idea - I am sure he would be up for that. There are a lot of posh gift shops in the west end of Glasgow up Byres Road way and there is the Art Galleries, Burrell Collection and things like that I could send him to.

Cheers.
                    Lisa

Bowed Over
                    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I could do with a 14yrs to flyer for me... lol...

I'm trying to sort out some flyers for most fashionable and flyer oxford street one day but I need more time!!!!!

Comment

My first job when I was 16 paid £1.44 an hour and I thought I was loaded!!

(Well known supermarket beginning with M...)

Comment

When I got my first job I worked in a newsagents on a Saturday morning and I was 14. I got 60p per hour and though it was great. I got a 10p rise each year and then got sacked when I was 18 as the had to pay me a proper wage. They used to get me in all the hours they could in the summer holidays as it was much cheaper than paying the adults.

My son also enquired about the free paper round and was told a similar price to the OPs son. When he phoned up and told them that he wasn't interested at that price, the husband who was on the the phone, told my son that he was a lazy good for nothing lad who obviously didn't want a job. I went on the phone and said that he did want a job but they were exploiting children by the wages they paid for the time it would take. Cheeky devil.

Comment

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
                            Well he is staying on at school he is hopefully studying to become a Pharmacist

Drug dealer? I get lots of emails offering me Valium, ******, ****** - maybe he could see if he can see anything like that online.

Drugs mule pays well, plus you get to visit Columbia, Afghanistan, Morocco and other fun places.

Or so I've heard...
                            It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

Working...
                            X