Hulahoops rock!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hulahoops rock!!

I mentioned in the soap forum the other day that we had found a way to use hulahoops under the canopy to pooch the tent out so rain could not pool and sag the tent...well...THEY WORK REALLY WELL! Amazing, actually! Had a terrific test this afternoon...

DSC00436.jpg

We had two on each side but not on the front and back. They kept rain from pooling, but they bent a little. So we are thinking about maybe making a couple of pvc pipe hulahoops that would be stronger...not sure about it, just wondering. It might be difficult to get it into a hoop shape.

Golly Bob howdy, it R-A-I-N-E-D this afternoon!! Yesterday, we were warned to get ready, and then the storm skirted around the town...well, the part we were in for the market anyway...thankfully. As soon as we got the warning, we packed up all our stuff...but today...no warning and a sudden torrential downpour. Everyone was scrambling to get their stuff covered fast. I did not bother trying to organize my soaps in their totes, I just stuffed it all as quickly as I could, while my husband was putting down the sides of the tent and packing his guitars...it was crazy!

I got some great ideas for my craft market murder mystery...it's got a good start. I have the general plot and a lot of characters and anecdotes to throw in. I am serious about this!

As I said, our hulahoops did a great job stopping rain from pooling on top of the tent and everyone in the market came by afterwards to see how we put them up, and are probably all going out this week to find hoops for their tents. One person's tent actually got so heavy it collapsed!!

There was a bit of wind but no lightning thank heavens. But our spot had a river running through it...thank heavens for plastic totes and tubs!!

One of our neighbors had left her two teen daughters in charge of her booth and left early to get ready to go to a KISS concert...with KISS make-up...the girls handled the storm like veteran market vendors.

When the storm came up and everyone zipped their tents up, we all continued to 'talk' to each other - yelling back and forth from inside our booths - it was so funny...it would have been really funny to be walking by and hear all the banter going on, one tent talking to another...
    Last edited by removed10; 20-09-2010, 04:35 AM.

Comment

I can just picture it all. Sounds like the set of a Laurel and Hardy film. Bet the punters all disappeared quick like so no customers.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Isn't it amazing what inventive ideas us crafters come up with at markets?! Hubby and I were at a local fair yesterday afternoon and it was so windy we couldn't put the side up so mocked up a wind break and perspex shields to protect everything from being blown from one side of the field to the other!

Fortunately it stayed dry so at least we didn't have rain to contend with as well! A complete turnaround from the day before when the winds were so light it was a joy to have everything hanging up on display!
        Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
        Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
        Follow me on Twitter:
        @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

I was at an event for the whole weekend - camping out - and we were very lucky with the weather, just a few drops of rain on the Sunday. We had 5 gazebos all strapped together, with the heaviest one also ratchet-strapped to the caravan. The wind was OK too.

Shame the punters weren't buying...
          Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
          http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
          http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

perspex shields - I have to google that!

Gosh Ali, it would be awful for all your things to blow away - it would be like trying to catch blowing leaves!

Today my husband and I have already come up with some ideas for displays for my stuff that can also protect...so it'll be easier for me to get all my weather sensitive items protected fast, and then I can be able to help him more in putting guitars away. But then my tables won't have the same look or feel...it's tricky. I am happy with it right now.

table2.jpgtable.jpg

We've found that sometimes, in the wind, if the the sides are down, that they act as sails and are worse than NOT having sides. This market requires tons of weights on each tent, which is good. The market last weekend - we may have been the only tent there with any weights! Amazing!

Camping...fun!! I think that market vendors are people who must love camping anyway, Clare...everyone loves the community and the outdoorsiness...are you all campers from way back? We camped A LOT with our kids as they were growing up. Much prefer real beds, at this point. Markets give us that sense of having camped. I almost wish some markets would have a camping set-up for just the vendors...it would be great fun! But then I remember my back...

Our "block" at this market is very close knit - we all hook our tents together at the backs with the back 'walls' to make a sort of covered alleyway, and everyone has their chairs and "stuff" out there, and fans, and we all bring food to share! It's great fun, and we can easily watch each others booth when necessary.

This market has always been VERY handmade, but I swear there were new booths this weekend that were selling mass produced stuff. Two booths were not there Sunday. I wonder if they'd been told not to come back.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
              perspex shields - I have to google that!

Gosh Ali, it would be awful for all your things to blow away - it would be like trying to catch blowing leaves!
              We have perspex to use as covers on the table and I found that by clipping that onto the gridwall in strategic positions, it helped stop everything getting really battered by the wind. Not ideal but better than nothing! Totally my invention **Pauses for applause!!** It isn't good if the wind gets hold of my stuff - I lost £30 worth up Bromley High Street thanks to a strong gust one week!!

We've found that sometimes, in the wind, if the the sides are down, that they act as sails and are worse than NOT having sides. This market requires tons of weights on each tent, which is good. The market last weekend - we may have been the only tent there with any weights! Amazing!
              Totally agree about the sides - we tend to leave gaps either at the top or bottom so that the wind can whip through rather than just coming up against a barrier. Our gazebo is a really cheap one where you push the poles together but it usually lasts us a year and is a lot cheaper to replace if it is damaged than the pop-up version we started with which lasted one day!! During the night of a 2-day show, there was a storm and almost all the stalls were broken, blown over or damaged in some way (looked like a bomb site on arrival the next morning) Fortunately, I take my goods home so the only damage was the gazebo and one old trestle table - the only gazebos which survived were a massive, professional one which cost over £500 and a cheapy-cheapy (like I have now) which cost less than £15! Needless to say, we called off to a DIY store on the way home and bought one! I now have one full gazebo and two sets of poles which are great as replacements for any damaged items. I also am notorious at shows for building us a 'house' using our standard gazebo and two extra sets of frames with sheets strategically placed to create extra rooms! Gives us loads of space and a little area for my hubby to have a sleep if he is feeling tired before the long drive home.

I always liked playing house as a kid.... guess I still do!
              Ali x

Follow me on Twitter:
              @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Originally posted by AliCat View Post
                We have perspex to use as covers on the table and I found that by clipping that onto the gridwall in strategic positions, it helped stop everything getting really battered by the wind. Not ideal but better than nothing! Totally my invention **Pauses for applause!!**

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, (standing up) clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, , brava, brava, brava!!!

It isn't good if the wind gets hold of my stuff - I lost £30 worth up Bromley High Street thanks to a strong gust one week!!

How heartbreaking. Omigosh.

Totally agree about the sides - we tend to leave gaps either at the top or bottom so that the wind can whip through rather than just coming up against a barrier.

We have tried all sorts of things to keep the sides from billowing in to the tent and knocking things off the tables and grids...maybe our hulahoops could be employed somehow...probably not. The grid panels even get banged around in a good wind...but if you put the side up, they stay fairly well in place (they're anchored at the top and bottom and a weight is attached at the bottom)

Our gazebo is a really cheap one where you push the poles together but it usually lasts us a year and is a lot cheaper to replace if it is damaged than the pop-up version we started with which lasted one day!!

Our EZ-Up is just over a year old and has lots of frayed places and little rips at the seams - it drips in rainy weather so we have a rain tarp we string up over the tent...and it has some mildew stains...beginning to look right shabby.

During the night of a 2-day show, there was a storm and almost all the stalls were broken, blown over or damaged in some way (looked like a bomb site on arrival the next morning) Fortunately, I take my goods home so the only damage was the gazebo and one old trestle table - the only gazebos which survived were a massive, professional one which cost over £500 and a cheapy-cheapy (like I have now) which cost less than £15! Needless to say, we called off to a DIY store on the way home and bought one! I now have one full gazebo and two sets of poles which are great as replacements for any damaged items. I also am notorious at shows for building us a 'house' using our standard gazebo and two extra sets of frames with sheets strategically placed to create extra rooms! Gives us loads of space and a little area for my hubby to have a sleep if he is feeling tired before the long drive home.

We see so many booths with covered porches and extra rooms - all hand rigged. Where there's a will, there's a way! So we now have a set of poles to make a shade awning where we need it...and a thin tarp to use on it. We have found binder clips to be very useful in rigging appendages. And clipping table cloths to table legs.

I always liked playing house as a kid.... guess I still do!
                Me too! Have always loved setting up our campsites, too - in ages past when I was younger and could sleep on the ground. My little Hazel also is a great builder of houses. She uses anything and everything as building materials.
                Last edited by removed10; 21-09-2010, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Here I am, late at night, talking to myself...sometimes I just have so much to say!! =)

So, though we only sold one guitar, there was lots of interest...yay...and two people who played them and spent a lot of time trying them out, etc., turned out to be musicians who had actually been on my husband's show a zillion years ago! And there was this one kid - about 10 years old who was a self taught guitar player and WAY AWESOME! If my husband still worked in radio, the kid would have been interviewed for sure! Not only could he play incredibly well, his manners were extremely wonderful. What a great kid! We had so much fun talking to him and his parents, and listening to him play.

Then there was this other kid....

It never ceases to amaze us how some parents let their kids behave so abominably and say nothing! Well, while this kid (probably 6) was whacking a cigar box guitar and pulling the strings outward, and pulling the whole thing down hard enough to bend the wire hook, something came over me. I have never done this before, but I suddenly jumped up and said very loudly that the guitar was priced at $135 but if he broke it, it would be $200. The woman gave me the dirtiest look and got him by the upper arm and pulled him away, but he still had hold of the guitar...he finally let go and it banged back against the grid panel...Grrrrrrrr, snarl!!

And more on kids. Okay, our booth is obviously NOT a toy booth, but people still wheel their toddlers in and tell them repeatedly "see the guitars? Look!" And they make the kid watch my husband playing, and stare agog at their children as if something miraculous is happening. They look at each other and grin proudly and say over and over how their child loves the guitar and wants one...we are talking about toddlers....so my husband finally stopped playing when the fourth would be virtuoso was brought in...if only the parents could see their kids from our side - the kid is staring blankly around as if they just landed...no interest in the guitars or the playing...one dad asked his 4 year old if he wanted one several times, and finally the kid said yes...the dad stood up, laughed adoringly, and pushed the kid (in a stroller) out and on down they way...the kid was crying because he then wanted one and the dad said no!

So now we are thinking about some toy guitars of some sort. We've found some hand cranked music box mechanisms on line...like a jack-in-the-box. The kid would turn the handle. What does everyone think??

Okay, so I had my little wooden TV tray set up at the "entrance" to our booth with the concise sign saying "food and drinks go here!" Only one couple put their drinks there...and they even bought 4 bars of soap because it was 1) goat milk and 2) not colored in any way. They bought EO bars. Awesome.

One grandmother told her little grandson to use my little table for coloring in his little tablet while they looked at stuff opposite our booth, and one woman walking by set her trash on it. I took it to the trash can. =P But next time I will say something...politely, of course. =)

What a weekend!!!!!!

And this afternoon, my husband met this guy in town to deliver his custom guitar, and the guy had another license plate with him and asked for a guitar to be made for his brother! Cool!
                  Last edited by removed10; 21-09-2010, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Here I am, late at night, talking to myself...sometimes I just have so much to say!! =)

So, though we only sold one guitar, there was lots of interest...yay...and two people who played them and spent a lot of time trying them out, etc., turned out to be musicians who had actually been on my husband's show a zillion years ago! And there was this one kid - about 10 years old who was a self taught guitar player and WAY AWESOME! If my husband still worked in radio, the kid would have been interviewed for sure! Not only could he play incredibly well, his manners were extremely wonderful. What a great kid! We had so much fun talking to him and his parents, and listening to him play.
                    That alone made the day worthwhile. Don't you just love kids like that.

Then there was this other kid....

It never ceases to amaze us how some parents let their kids behave so abominably and say nothing! Well, while this kid (probably 6) was whacking a cigar box guitar and pulling the strings outward, and pulling the whole thing down hard enough to bend the wire hook, something came over me. I have never done this before, but I suddenly jumped up and said very loudly that the guitar was priced at $135 but if he broke it, it would be $200. The woman gave me the dirtiest look and got him by the upper arm and pulled him away, but he still had hold of the guitar...he finally let go and it banged back against the grid panel...Grrrrrrrr, snarl!!

And the frustrating thing is you can't touch them even though they deserve a good wallop

And more on kids. Okay, our booth is obviously NOT a toy booth, but people still wheel their toddlers in and tell them repeatedly "see the guitars? Look!" And they make the kid watch my husband playing, and stare agog at their children as if something miraculous is happening. They look at each other and grin proudly and say over and over how their child loves the guitar and wants one...we are talking about toddlers....so my husband finally stopped playing when the fourth would be virtuoso was brought in...if only the parents could see their kids from our side - the kid is staring blankly around as if they just landed...no interest in the guitars or the playing...one dad asked his 4 year old if he wanted one several times, and finally the kid said yes...the dad stood up, laughed adoringly, and pushed the kid (in a stroller) out and on down they way...the kid was crying because he then wanted one and the dad said no!
                    Moron.
                    So now we are thinking about some toy guitars of some sort. We've found some hand cranked music box mechanisms on line...like a jack-in-the-box. The kid would turn the handle. What does everyone think??

Christmas is looming, do you think you could get some ready for then.

Okay, so I had my little wooden TV tray set up at the "entrance" to our booth with the concise sign saying "food and drinks go here!" Only one couple put their drinks there...and they even bought 4 bars of soap because it was 1) goat milk and 2) not colored in any way. They bought EO bars. Awesome.

One grandmother told her little grandson to use my little table for coloring in his little tablet while they looked at stuff opposite our booth, and one woman walking by set her trash on it. I took it to the trash can. =P But next time I will say something...politely, of course. =)

I admire your forebearance Susan. I would have blown my stack ages back.

What a weekend!!!!!!

And this afternoon, my husband met this guy in town to deliver his custom guitar, and the guy had another license plate with him and asked for a guitar to be made for his brother! Cool!
                    Now that is good. You can't beat 'Word of mouth' recommendation. Its so much more of a compliment.
                    Carol
                    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Kids are a bonus and a curse at our stall! Usually the kids will drag their parents over to buy them something (or buy one or two little things themselves with pocket money) but we can also end up looking like we have been hit by a hurricane with our display all over the place from kids (and parents) picking everything up and dropping it down willy nilly on the table (why they can't see things without having to pick them up beats me!)

Still, keeps us active....
                      Ali x

Follow me on Twitter:
                      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

And there was me thinking you meant little bags of crisps.... I include the picture in case you don't get them in Texas.
                        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

One of our neighbors had left her two teen daughters in charge of her booth and left early to get ready to go to a KISS concert...with KISS make-up...the girls handled the storm like veteran market vendors.

My husband would be so jealous of that (but he probably wouldn't want to wear the make up. They so rarely come to the UK.
                          View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Hulahoop chips - well I never! How funny. I wish we had them here - I could pass them out to all our booth neighbors who were wanting hulahoops for their tents!

Comment

I remember sticking one on the end of each of my fingers when eating them as a child. My daughter now does that too with any snack that is ring shaped. We should send you a load over!!
                              View my flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X