Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A week in the sun..where would you suggest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A week in the sun..where would you suggest?

We would like to book a week abroad during the first/second week of September. We want somewhere sunny, not too long on the plane (3 hours tops) and not too heavy on the purse strings.

We are a couple and do not want anywhere thats very family dominated / orientated, nor somewhere over run with 18 year olds out to get sloshed for 2 weeks solid. We want a relaxing holiday with the option of trips to places of interest and nice evening meals and a good choice of bars. Have been looking at Majorca today as one option, but again don't know what parts suit the bill. Can anyone make any suggestions?
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Oooh - we're off to Majorca next week!

If you do go to Majorca - Palma (where the airport is) is probably full of stag parties and lots of what you don't want!

We go to Pollensa which is right at the top of the Island (about an hour's drive from the airport). It has lots of bars, cafe's and restaurants and a lovely harbour. I don't know about trips because we don't tend to do them. As for it being family oriented - well, we like it because the beach is lovely and clean and the sea is shallow for a long way out and there's a nice pedestrianised area. There are lots of families there with young children, but I don't know that I'd say it's completely family-based. The next bay along is Alcudia, and this might be more what you're after, but I've never stayed there so don't really know.

Before we had our son, we went to Feuteventuria a couple of times, as well as Gran Canaria. This was quite a few years ago, so don't know how developed they've got, but Maspalomas in Gran Canaria was nice - had some fab sand-dunes and we also did do trips out.
    Blog Website Flickr

Comment

September....

Originally posted by katian_krafts View Post
      We would like to book a week abroad during the first/second week of September. We want somewhere sunny, not too long on the plane (3 hours tops) and not too heavy on the purse strings.

You should find most places quiet at that time...term has started again.

Jules
      Apple Tree Crafts
      www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

We are a couple and do not want anywhere thats very family dominated / orientated, nor somewhere over run with 18 year olds out to get sloshed for 2 weeks solid. We want a relaxing holiday with the option of trips to places of interest and nice evening meals and a good choice of bars.
        Sounds just like the type of hols me and hubby go for....we did Fuerteventura a couple of years back and would recommend it, we really loved it - stayed in Corralejo which had loads of really nice places to eat and seemed to be mainly couples there. We also stayed at Roda in Corfu on our last hols which was nice and relaxing but maybe a bit small - not that many restaurants to choose from.

Let us know where you decide in the end and enjoy!!! Very jealous as we're unlikely to have a week away in the sun this year
        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I'm not going to be any help at all on this question but I thought I would write anyway!!

I haven't been abroad for years cos we have no one to look after the woofers but it was only a couple of weeks ago when I was sorting through very exciting paperwork that I realised our passports had expired last year!! Lets hope hubby doesn't want to surprise me and wisk me away somewhere

I have to admit to loving holidays in this country - I love Devon and Dorset - IF you get the weather then it is wonderful but I understand that need for guaranteed sun - it is sooooo relaxing - or perhaps that is down to the large quantities of wine you consume - not sure
          Willowmax
          Handcrafted Cards for Special Occassions
          www.willowmaxdesign.com

email - [email protected]

Comment

TURKEY TURKEY TURKEY!!!! Sorry but I love the country, so many wonderful places to see, so much history and culture. It has the best of both worlds. As Jules said, the kids go back beginning of September but there are still a lot of kids going abroad as parents just can't afford to go away in August. We did it a few years ago and by going that week, we saved more than half of the cost on an all inclusive.

I've seen a lot of the country as I've spent so many holidays out there and also lived out there for a short while. I personally love the Bodrum Penninsula. If you stay away from Bodrum and Gumbet, and go for one of the smaller fishing villages, you will have a wonderful relaxing holiday. But with Bodrum only a max of 1/2 an hour by dolmus then you can have the clubbing time too.

Whenever anyone asks me about Turkey, I always say the same thing to them. 'You don't like Turkey, you love it or you hate it' I just happen to love it lol.
            Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Comment

Pre kids (well I was just pregnant with Anya) we went to Cyprus on a last minute deal - it worked out about £100 quid each. We opted for allocated on arrival and said the only place we didn't want to be was Ayia Napa - guess where we were put! It was gorgeous though and as it was out of season there were only a few roving groups of kids trying to get drunk!!
              The capital of Cyprus (Nicosia/Lefkosia) is worth a visit as it's the only divided capital city in the world - quite scary to look through from the Greek side to see Turkish soldiers with machine guns looking back!
              We booked a week off and then went to lastminute.com and got a deal on there - works out quite well if you aren't fussed where you want to go.
              Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
              My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
              My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Well, we're off to Turkey - Cirali to be specific - at the beginning of September.

Last year we went to Santorini, part of the Cyclades in the Aegean Sea, and if you want to see perfection, then that's as close to it as you're going to get - just type Santorini into Flickr.

But if you need more convincing, here's the view we woke up to every day
                Melanie

"When I talk about belief, why do you always assume I'm talking about God?" Serenity

http://www.myspace.com/kandmcreations
                http://www.kandmbeadshop.co.uk/ | http://www.kandmcreations.co.uk/
                http://kandmcom.etsy.com

Comment

If I could go somewhere, no kids, in early September it would be Northern Italy, Tuscany. Fascinating places to visit, fantastic weather, lovely food, bars and restaurants, great senerary. In fact, forget the holiday, when I'm rich I'm moving there.

Anyway wherever you end up, I hope you have a great time. We're looking forward to a week in Devon in July. Can't wait, only, its going to be sooooo busy (school holidays aaggggrrrrhhh)
                  Amanda
                  xx

Comment

I've worked out in barcelona a few times and love the city.. Always stay a few days longer than the contract and have a little hol..

Its got a beach, its cheap, sunny and loads to look at.. The beach is nice but busy as its in the city and not like a resort..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Oooo great! Lots of great places to choose from! My BF said we should just book the week of a grab a last minute deal, so I think that's what we'll end up doing. I will look out for all of your suggestions when we do. have been to Cyprus before but wouldn't mind another visit. Also went to Santorini with the girlies - great holiday and very lovely! Can't wait to go now, how will I last out another 3 months???!!!!
                      Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

We went off the beaten track in Tenerife in January - British Airways tickets were pretty cheap - found a B&B on the interwebby thingy and hired a cheap little car - stayed away from the touristy areas (except when we wanted some nightlife) and had a great time. There are some wonderful little beaches where you can stretch out naked with hardly anyone else around.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
                          stretch out naked with hardly anyone else around.
                          NAKED ?

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                          (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

I used to work for Intasun Holidays (quite a while ago) and my favourite place is definately Cyprus but the flight is longer then you wanted. Must say I didn't enjoy Turkey or Fuerteventura. Menorca is somewhere I've always wanted to go and I understand it isn't as manic as Majorca or Ibiza.

Ooh, you've got me in the holiday mood now!
                            Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk
                            Total warmth and comfort for your baby and toddler up to 3 years

Comment

Originally posted by 0103media View Post
                              NAKED ?

We're all naked underneath .....

Comment

Working...
                              X