No announcement yet.

Teaching at home...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Teaching at home...

    I was wondering if any of you has ever given courses on what you do at home for other people? Do you know what that involves/takes from a business perspective, does one need to register anywhere?
    My craft is textilles and it does not involve heavy machinery, a sewing machine will be as far as it would go.
    Would be grateful for any advice.
    Last edited by thepinksheep; 26-11-2009, 12:08 PM.
    The PinkSheep, made in loveland

  • #2
    Yes, I've done it. I think the only thing you need to think about is if your insurance covers you. Your house insurance probably won't cover work related things. There's nothing to say you can't work from home, but it's a good idea to not do things that annoy neighbours eg noise, using up lots of parking space on your road.

    If you're already a business, then any income you get is just part of that business. If not, the taxman will want to know, even if you don't make any profit.
    I can't be creative and tidy too for beads, findings and threads
    The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
    Jencel on Facebook


    • #3
      We run soap making course - though not at home, we hire a village hall.

      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties


      • #4
        Many thanks Celia good advice.
        Jane can you tell me a bit more of what it involves? Have you had problems with people or the tax man?
        The PinkSheep, made in loveland


        • #5
          Probably wise to get yourself CRB'd as well if you intend to teach under 18's
          David & Catherine


          • #6
            This is something i've consideder as well and already have a couple of people interested for next year, but I really don't know the finer details about insurance, toilet facilities, h&s rixk assessment etc, so i'm stalling at the mo!!
            Ivory Bird Jewellery Blog
            Facebook Page
            Vintage Emporium Shop


            • #7
              Originally posted by PyroMaynia View Post
              Probably wise to get yourself CRB'd as well if you intend to teach under 18's

              Had look at it... did not get it
              The PinkSheep, made in loveland



              • #8
                The tax man won't be a problem as long as you register or are registered and fill in your tax return honestly.

                Home sewing is traditionally not regarded as a business you need to tell the council about. Traditionally it's been women's work and ...doesn't count? More doesn't cause a bother to the neighbours.
                I can't see that one to one teaching would be any different. I don't know what they'd think about group sewing. Personally I don't think it's any different from having a private party but if you go out of your way to ask the council I have heard of jobs worth people that can give you a lot of unecessary bother.

                The bit that does matter is insurance. You need public liability insurance (there are loads of threads discussing this on this forum). An Arts and Crafts one should do you. Sewing machine needles have been known to go through thumbs and I have speared myself with scissors (That was a month ago and it still hurts!)
                And you need to come to an agreement with your house insurers.
                They might be incedibly accomodating and say pay us an extra 15 quid and we'll sort it or they might be incredibly stroppy and say "What!?!" The computer says no!" If the latter ditch them and find a more sensible insurer. Ask around crafters and they'll suggest some.

                The CRB thing is a nightmare. There are threads on this forum. Look them up. (Type CRB into the Search box.) There is an issue about individuals asking to be checked and it's all changing...allegedly.....
                So to make your life easy - have classes for adults only, or families where children are accompanied by a parent. It cuts out your teenage market but be safe and never be alone with a child. One place I know lets teenagers in with a nominated guardian over 25 years old and a filled in form with signatures from the teenager, the parents and the guardian.

                It's all very off putting I know but very nice when it's all sorted and you have a nice little earner on the go.


                • #9
                  I think everything has been covered, really, but the main points (I suspect) are:

                  1. Insurance. Both your home building & contents - make sure you are covered - plus liability and/or indemnity if appropriate. Get proper advise if in doubt - better than getting caught out!

                  2. Double-check your mortgage (and landlord if you are not on a freehold) is OK with this. If what you are doing could be construed to constitute a "change of purposes" for the premises, you might be opening an oil tanker full of wriggly things.

                  3. As others have mentioned, be very careful if under 18s (or is it under 16s?) are involved without parental supervision!

                  And good luck!

                  Web Development
                  Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop


                  • #10
                    Another option besides teaching arts and crafts at home is to enquire with local further education colleges nearby. They used to offer adult courses, sometimes in the day and also as a night school, however funding is not what it used to be for the adult education sector. There are however some colleges near me that I have noticed offering craft and hobby courses, so they do still run. I have also noticed that if you run this sort of course you don't necessarily need a teaching qualification or experience of teaching, just the skills in whatever area you want to teach.