I'm not as good as C*****'s A*********s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not as good as C*****'s A*********s

Oh no ....... I did a market yesterday where one of the other stallholders told me I was wasting my time making jewellery, as everybody does it these days and in any case a certain well known high street shop [beginning with C A] does it much better and cheaper and all the teenagers go there.

I did tell her that

a] CA's don't hand make jewellery

b] CA's don't do sterling silver

c] All my pieces are exclusive and you won't see ninety million other folk wearing them

d] I'm not aiming my jewellery exclusively at teenagers [although obviously I am very happy when they buy it].

Did she listen? Did she ******. She trotted off to her own stall selling bric-a-brac and glowing with self-righteousness at having put this poor misguided soul right.

Joking aside, it really upset me that this woman, who I don't know from Adam, took a swift look at my handmade jewellery and found it inferior to mass produced, plated, imported trinkets sold to pre-pubescent girls.
    Heather
    Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Glad you gave her what for! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! Makes me mad too. How dare she!!!
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

What a horrible woman, there's always somewhere out there waiting to pull you down but always more there to sing your praises, so don't take it to heart

Comment

Sounds to me like she was jealous of your lovely work - take no notice, these people are out to upset others. We can't all have good manners can we?
        If it ever happens again - just reply with 'thank you for pointing that out, but I hadn't noticed that the high street shops has started selling handmade unique items! when did that happen?

Then go on to say....I wish I had time and lack of customers to view other peoples stands like you

Sometimes you got to fight fire with fire.

As you can tell - this has p***** me off

Hugs to u
        Debbie
        www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Contemporary glass fusion designs - sculptures - wall panels - functional items - outdoor sculptures. We also run Silver & Glass workshops here in Cheshire - kiln space also offered.

Comment

Some people are so rude, i'm glad you gave her a piece of your mind. I don't think i would have been as tactful. The jealous cow!!!!!!!!
          Emma
          Luxury craft supplies & magnolia Stamps - Sassy Crafts
          Sassy Crafts Blog
          My Blog

Comment

Some people just don't get this hand made malarchy. Their loss not yours!
            Chin up and keep going. The clients are out there.
            I've had some very nasty comments in my time. Often along the lines of "how awful to buy someone something homemade. they might think you are a skinflint"
            "My six year old daughter could do that!"
            "I don't buy cheep jewellery"
            The comments are very caustic but then to make a comment in such a negative way does not say much about the people doing it.
            I always try to be sickly nice to those sort of people and smile and say things like "Do you think so?". Hopefully they'll be someone else at the stall looking and you simply raise your eyebrows to them. they smile back and you have an opening to engage the next customer.
            I never try to justify myself to the don't get its. If they don't get it then they probably never will.
            full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

She's a market stall vendor - you're a jewellery designer...............tell her to go and sell some carrots.
              If anyone requires further lessons in snobbery - just ask.

Comment

That was just down right rude. Some people were just not brought up with manners. I get it constantly with my candles. For gods sake I can get that in Asda for £1.00. Well actually no you can't you can get a mass produced peace of s*ite from Asda not something that has been made and designed with care!!!

I have pleasure in telling them this. And point out the exclusivness of what I do!!!!!!!!!

Next time just smack her in the mouth!!!!!!!! (no only kidding!!!!!!!!!!! Just imagine doing it in your head make you feel at whole lot better)

Lisa
                Bowed Over
                Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks everyone. I just find it hard to cope with rude people. Don't get me wrong, I can be sarky and narky with the best of them but I couldn't say anything so hurtful, and to a stranger too. Even if the things on someone's stall aren't to my personal taste, there's still something friendly to say about the colours or the amount of work in something. But I did have a long chat with an old lady who wanted some earrings for her goddaughter, and who wanted to be sure I had made them myself as her g/d is very picky about only wearing hand made and individual jewellery, and she was as pleased as punch when I told her I put a care leaflet into each pack with details of how the pieces were made and how to care for them. So she more than made up for Mrs Bric-a-brac. And the cakes in the tea room were very good.
                  Heather

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

Comment

Wish I knew what to say. Chin up eh? And when you're rich and famous you will be quite justified in smacking her in the chops!
                    Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk
                    Total warmth and comfort for your baby and toddler up to 3 years

Comment

Remember you should always include the word "tat" when referring to the aforementioned chainstore.
                      And the lady in question would know all about that - or was she only selling 'original High Quality' items on her Bric-a-Brac stall?!!!
                      http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

From what I could see it was mostly pot vases and jugs. But she did have one of the crinoline lady loo roll hiders and one of those sponge animals with a bar of soap inside.
                        Heather

Comment

Oh well.... you should have said... a Crinoline Lady Loo Roll Holder...
                          I mean really, this lady obviously knows quality when she sees it!!!!!
                          http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

AND ..... soap with frog pictures on, and an inflatable plant. Betcha wish you'd been there!!
                            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty things View Post
                              . But she did have one of the crinoline lady loo roll hiders .
                              Didn't you buy it from her? You could have displayed your jewellery on it.
                              She'd have had to love your stuff then!!!
                              LOL
                              full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Working...
                              X