Cat, chaos and costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat, chaos and costs

Cat lovers be warned - this post contains scenes that may be upsetting!!
    My furry friend came home on Monday night minus half his tail!
    I've no idea what happened to him, poor thing, but it must have been pretty traumatic.
    He had to have most of the rest of his tail amputated at the vet's yesterday and is feeling pretty sorry for himself. Mind you I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself too as it cost us £375!!!!
    I've put some pics of him on my blog - I still haven't worked out how to put them on here.
    The chaos bit of the title is because we're in the middle of setting up our stand at the Highland Show and it's a nightmare trying to load the van with a claustrophobic cat trying to escape out the door. He's not used to being cooped up.
    Marion
    Embroidered Originals
    Here is my Blog
    Embroidered_Originals website
    Follow me on Twitter

Aww poor thing, hope he recovers quickly. He looks dead cute curled up in the litter tray!

Caroline
    silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
    bespoke handmade jewellery
    Silver Jewellery blog
    Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

Aww there's a cat with no tail that keeps going in our back yard, he looks so chubby and cute but I think he must have been mistreated because he's very jumpy and runs away immediately ;[
      my nan's had TWO cats that needed their tails removed! One of them got caught in a door (ouch!) and the other we think either got kicked (there's some BASTARDS out there) or hit by a car (I think a car would have killed her though she's a very small kitty) she lost all control of her back half, had to have her tail cut off and about 5 operations ;[
      I love cats so much!!! I hate the thought of them being mistreated or hurt in any way!
      http://www.terrilowedesign.co.uk
      http://www.twitter.com/Hello_TerriLowe
      http://territriestwice.blogspot.com/
      email: [email protected]

Comment

Wow, Terriwoah, that puts my cat's injuries in the shade. FIVE operations now that's expensive. See where my priorities lie? lol
        We had our last cat insured but didn't bother with this one as he was a stray and we never really felt he was ours.
        But he's been with us now for 6 years so I guess he is ours now.
        I do love him really! He's got a very friendly nature.
        Marion
        Embroidered Originals
        Here is my Blog
        Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Oh no, the poor wee cat, give him a snuggly hug from me *hugs*

As you say, you'll probably never know what sort of ordeal brought him to so much harm, but I just hope that whatever he has been through doesn't put him off going out and about in the future - though hopefully he stays away from any danger!!

Vets bills are ridiculous... I hope you make lots of sales at the weekend to cover the medical costs!!

I hope all goes well at the Highland Show for you with lots of customers and lots of people spending!! Look forward to hearing how you get on

Comment

Thanks Fluffy. Can't give you rep, but I'll keep you posted.
            Marion
            Embroidered Originals
            Here is my Blog
            Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Aahhh... poor baby.
              He's a gorgeous cat, and he looks so sweet in the litter tray.
              That vet bill though, it seems very excessive. On the farm our vets call-out fee in the middle of the night is about £60 and we only paid £250 for a cow's caesarian at 2am a few years ago, which took 2 vets almost 2 hours.

Our cat had his tail broken when he was about 1 year old, he disappeared for a few days and by the time we got to the vet it was infected. He had to have it taken off and ended up with a 2 1/2 inch tail. He was fine though and wagged it from side to side when he was happy. Everyone thought he was a manx cat.

Melanie
              Last edited by silvermaid; 25-06-2009, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Poor moggy - but he looks to be getting over it.

That vet bill though, it seems very excessive. On the farm our vets call-out fee in the middle of the night is about £60 and we only paid £250 for a cow's caesarian at 2am a few years ago, which took 2 vets almost 2 hours.
                Agreed - but it does depend on where the vet's practice is.

Some years back our adopted cat was reluctant to eat - he hated travelling in the car so, rather than taking him 12 miles to our usual vet, Child carried him down to the drop-in vet at the petshop (I finished up having to take him 12 miles in another direction to the main surgery to have his teath out).

This vet, a mainly small animal practice, charged £90something for removing one side of his teeth and said the other side would have to be removed.

I took him to our usual vet, a mainly farm/large animal vet, for the other half and was charged £30something.
                ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                website
                blog

Comment

I think because my nan was just on her pension or whatever she had her cats operations done at the RSPCA centre in stoke, they're really good and just ask for you to make a donation, which is a very good service i dont think many people are aware of, I think they calculate the cost from your income etc so its a good thing to bare in mind
                  My parents cat has epilepsy our family likes the outcast cats! my nan once had seven which were all abandoned or from the cats home. I wish I could take some in but living in stupid student accomodation means i can't ;'[
                  I hope your little kitty gets better soon! the little bugger probably doesnt realise the expense he's caused tehehe!
                  http://www.terrilowedesign.co.uk
                  http://www.twitter.com/Hello_TerriLowe
                  http://territriestwice.blogspot.com/
                  email: [email protected]

Comment

I'm not enamoured of the RSPCA in this respect - they're fine if you can take your pets to them but if you can't it's another matter.

When I was Social Worker for Phys. Handicapped one of my clients, who relied on elbow crutches to get about, was terribly upset because his elderly labrador had lost the use of its hindquarters.

I phoned the RSPCA and was told that he should take the dog to one of their centres and they would put it down for free (there was no way he could lift it into his car).

I phoned the local vet who said he'd collect the dog, administer the necessary and find someone to bury it in the old man's garden - for free!!

Many years ago it was a different matter - one of the older SWs told us of the night she spent in a client's garden with an RSPCA officer capturing cats - the old lady was confused and didn't know that she had about 30 cats - the bungalow was not a hygienic place to be!
                    ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                    website
                    blog

Comment

Quick update on the cat's progress - he's back in hospital!
                      2 o'clock this morning and I was driving him back in because he started making very noisy sounds when he was breathing.
                      He's been kept in overnight to be on the safe side but I think he might have just hurt his throat a little bit with the collar.
                      Anyway, that's probably another fortune to pay!
                      Marion
                      Embroidered Originals
                      Here is my Blog
                      Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Oh no!!! Sorry to hear about this, here was me hoping for good news this morning... fingers crossed it's nothing serious

Comment

Poor thing! One of my kittens has half a tail. They were both rescue cats, the mom was very stressed when they were found and she had bruised both of them from over cleaning them and had chewed half of Ambers tail off!

Happy to say they have a loving home with us now and are very pampered.
                          jasmines-cards.co.uk
                          Crafts ~ Scrapbooking ~ Weddings

Comment

Originally posted by waitingformagic
                            That's crazy! I'd love to know how vets work out their prices!! £375 isn't even what I paid to go to Turkey for 2 weeks a couple of years ago!
                            Mental - and not mental arithmetic.. we took one of our pooches to the vet with a leg problem.. a cruciate ligament rupture. He ended up with an orthopaedic spe******t admittedly, but £275 for an X-ray (3 times) £50 per night for accomodation, £32 for drill bits to mount a plate in his leg, £3.85 for food (1 nights worth!) £1360 for the first operation, £785 for the second when his plate came loose, £226 for anasthesia (twice). You are insane not to have decent pet insurance these days as the bill for the first lot of operastions came to a shade under £3,000!! Nuts!!

Worse still, the day after he was given the all clear we took him for his first "proper" walk in 6 months, and within 20 minutes he was laying out on the sand at Formby refusing to get up - another cruciate ligament rupture on the other rear leg! Told the other half he was Barking Mad not taking him to the abatoir and having him made in to fluffy slippers!!

Thankfully Petplan have coughed up almost all of the £7,000 it has cost in the past year - and agreed to pay for the "lifetime" medication he is on (£50 a month) I think we would have gone loopy if we had to find all that cash ourselves.. unlike our own vet who claoims direct from the insurer, the spe******t you have to pay up front and claim it all back.. it has been an expensive year!

Originally posted by waitingformagic
                            I do love cats, and most animals, it really pains me to think a person might have done this then left him be. We actually had one person recently knock a cat down in their car and then leave them in the road How disrespectful is that? Not that a wild animal is okay to do that to, but this was actually someone's PET. You wouldn't do that to a kid would you? And most people love pets like they're family! I'm hoping karma comes back and bites that idiot on the backside!
                            Some people are mad, and you do still see "hit and run" reports with people as well as animals..

Comment

aw poor little mite. If he has the run of fields he may have got caught in a trap!

I have both my cats insured, you never know when something might happen, one of the cats is a night cat and spends all night out and about and we have fields at the back of us, all that I have had to contend with so far is the numerous corpses he keeps leaving for me to find in the morning!

Hope your moggy is feeling better soon and has not lasting effects of his experience!
                              Diane
                              Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Working...
                              X