Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed up!

Hi all,

just wondering if anybody else out there is fed up and frustrated? My mind is boggling at where all the crafters are for Derbyshire/Cheshire????? Booked another venue cos people ask for one, and then hardly any enquiries! Help! All the non crafty people in my family think it's a waste of time, but I'm determined it isn't. Am I horribly wrong??

Oh dear...I'm exposing my vulnerabilities... is that even a word?

sorry to be on a bummer...
    Diane
    www.artsandcraftsinthepeak.co.uk

Sorry to hear that you are so fed up and frustrated Diane, I know how much hard work goes into organising these events and it must feels like such a thankless task especially when you don't get much interest or are let down by 'interested' crafters

We are based in Stoke on Trent and could be very interested in Derbyshire events... we handcraft our own greetings cards, keepsake candles, candle holders and a small selection of crochet goods - is this something which you would have availability for at your events?

We recently did an event in Derbyshire which did not have a good foot fall at all... are your events well attended by the public? Obviously, you can't guarantee sales but good quantity of visitors helps.

Another venue within Derbyshire we are currently booked for, a few people are talking us out of simply because of the location being a meeting point for walkers, etc and not much else as there isn't very much in the village... are the venues you are looking at situated close to anything else? Are they busy areas?

Sorry for all of the questions, we are just trying to avoid booking stalls at events which might not "be for us" if that makes sense.

Thanks, Laura xx

Comment

Hi Laura and thanks for the response - that in itself has made me feel a little less alone!

Yes, there is certainly availability for your range of crafts. The venues are very different, but the one at Poynton is new, so don't know as yet. However, it is in a decent sized town with a good community spirit. the Civic Hall is just next door to the public library (where I work ), which in itself has a good footfall. ANd the poynton ones are on a Sat to appeal to the people in the town - the main street is about 15-20 paces away.

The venue in Chelmorton is a small village fair. Crafters did well on the last fair in June. Although the village only has a pub to boast, people to come specially for the Sun dinners at the pub, and people do come specifically for the craft fair. Not a big footfall, but a genuine interest in the crafts.

I tried one in Ashford-in-the-Water - a beautiful village, but terrible for craft fairs!!! Loads of tourists, but no interest in what they were looking at whatsoever.

Which is the venue you're booked for?
      Diane

Comment

We recently did Dronfield Civic Hall and are booked for Baslow Village Hall - both venues are Cottage Creations fairs... Dronfield was great weather, etc but poor footfall on the day but from what I've been told by previous stallholders Baslow doesn't do too well.

I will definitely speak to the hubby about your events and be in touch as we are looking to broaden our horizons to try to build up our sales as you can imagine

Comment

Hi,

I'm interested in your fairs too. Unfortunately I'm already booked for a fair in Stoke on 11th July but I'll certainly be looking at your ones in November.
          I make teddy bears!

Claire
          x
          "A house without a bear is like a face without a smile!" ME

Web: www.pawprints.org.uk
          Misi: www.pawprints.misi.co.uk
          Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-...104?ref=search

Comment

please confirm where in derbyshire and when in november as I may be interested. I live in Staffordshire so it may be a little too far, I have attended a couple in Bakewell which did well for me but wouldnt want to travel further than that as it takes me 1 1/2 hours!
            Cheers
            Mel
            www.safimelcardsandpendants.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Erial View Post
              Hi,

I'm interested in your fairs too. Unfortunately I'm already booked for a fair in Stoke on 11th July but I'll certainly be looking at your ones in November.
              I make teddy bears!

Claire
              x
              Thanks for the support Claire and look forward to hearing from you nearer Nov!
              Diane

Comment

Originally posted by Meljov5 View Post
                please confirm where in derbyshire and when in november as I may be interested. I live in Staffordshire so it may be a little too far, I have attended a couple in Bakewell which did well for me but wouldnt want to travel further than that as it takes me 1 1/2 hours!
                Cheers
                Mel
                Hi Mel,

may be too far for you. One in Chelmorton which is on the A6 from Bakewell to Buxton. The one in Cheshire is Poynton, which is in between Macclesfield and Stockport.
                Diane

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffy Squirrel View Post
                  We recently did Dronfield Civic Hall and are booked for Baslow Village Hall - both venues are Cottage Creations fairs... Dronfield was great weather, etc but poor footfall on the day but from what I've been told by previous stallholders Baslow doesn't do too well.

I will definitely speak to the hubby about your events and be in touch as we are looking to broaden our horizons to try to build up our sales as you can imagine
                  I'm not familiar with Dronfield, but I know Baslow is a pretty little place. Not been to any of the fairs there, but think I'll have a nosey. I know I was riding round this Spring looking for potential venues and for some reason (didn't know there were fairs held there) struck Baslow off the list. We were riding out on a Sunday and it was very quiet. But then again, Chelmorton is, and people do come to look and buy.

Let me know what hubby thinks!
                  Diane

Comment

I know how hard it is to organise fairs and how thankless it can be.

Sorry I cant come to yours as they are too far away but I do sympathise, what really annoys me is when you organise a fair (at request) and people say "yes I'll come" you send them the form and then NOTHING, you email them a reminder and still NOTHING, this has happened to me twice with the same person and I can tell you here and now I WILL NOT be inviting her again!!!!!!!!

Why are there so many time wasters when apparently there are more crafters than fairs??????

Good luck with your fairs
                    Diane
                    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Thanks Diane for your words of support. It's good to know I'm not alone in feeling this. And yes, I have had to start a 'blacklist' of time wasters!
                      Diane

Comment

I might be interested in future fairs. Do you have a mailing list you could add me to?

I'm doing one in Baslow in a couple of weeks. I haven't done it before, so have no idea what to expect, but it's held regularly.
                        Celia
                        I can't be creative and tidy too
                        www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
                        The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
                        Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by DianeKing View Post
                          I'm not familiar with Dronfield, but I know Baslow is a pretty little place. Not been to any of the fairs there, but think I'll have a nosey. I know I was riding round this Spring looking for potential venues and for some reason (didn't know there were fairs held there) struck Baslow off the list. We were riding out on a Sunday and it was very quiet. But then again, Chelmorton is, and people do come to look and buy.

Let me know what hubby thinks!
                          Have spoken to hubby and we'd like to book your event on Sunday 1st November 2009 at Chelmorton Memorial Hall.

Can you let me know what information you need, etc please?

Looking forward to meeting you

Laura xxx

Comment

I know a soaper in Buxton - she's posted elsewhere that she's booked into fairs up until November - may or may not be yours, I'll drop her a line.
                            ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                            website
                            blog

Comment

As a fellow organiser I know how much of a thankless task it can be, and you're right about those who say 'yes' but never actually manage to send a booking form back

I've started to put a booking deadline on the email I send out to people - if the forms aren't back by the deadline I chase once, making it clear that they have not 'booked' until I have received the form & payment - that does help speed things up a little, but not a lot.

Good luck with your fairs - I'd love to come but they are just a little far for me to travel at the moment.

Claire
                              Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                              Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                              www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Working...
                              X