I HATE Aeroplanes! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I HATE Aeroplanes! Help!

I should be excited, Im off to sunny Florida on Monday ( courtesy of Mr Tesco and his clubcard points!) but Im a nervous wreck about the aeroplane!

I usually only go on short flights, and can just about manage my fear for that long - but the thought of being terrified for 9+ hours is awful!

I have been listening to Paul Mckenna fear of flying hypnotherapy, and have got some tablets from my gp to calm me a bit, but I am so scared I feel sick and I really really dont want to go!

If it wasnt for the thought of the lovely craft shops - Joann looks amazing and so does Michaels, I would have dropped out but I know I would have regreeted it if I didnt go.

It's not just a little fear - it is huge. I actually stand waiting to get on the plane looking at the other people queueing to get on, and find myself thinking "these are the people I am going to die with"!!!!!

Has anyone got any suggestions what I could do? I have got lots of things to do on the plane to try and occupy me, but I am just on constant alert listening and watching for signs it is about to crash!

And dont even get me started on going to the toilet - I usually try not to because I really really dont want to die on a toilet lol, but I cant go more than 9 hours without visiting the ladies room!

Aaaaarrrgggghhhh help! Anyone want to go instead of me? I could give you a list of craft stuff I want lol!

Oh yeah, and I wont even be able to have a cup of tea until I arrive in America because I am lactose intolerant and they dont really cater for that, and you cant take your own drinks through anymore, so I cant even take any with me!

Can you tell Im a bit stressed?!

oh you poor thing, I can't offer any advice as I have never flown (except in a helicopter!)

Can't even say I'll go for you as I would probably be a nervous wreck too!

All I can say is keep thinking of all the lovely crafts you will see when you get there!!!!

oh and apparently you are more likely to die in a car crash than a plane crash! (does that help???)
    Diane
    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
      oh you poor thing, I can't offer any advice as I have never flown (except in a helicopter!)

Can't even say I'll go for you as I would probably be a nervous wreck too!

All I can say is keep thinking of all the lovely crafts you will see when you get there!!!!

oh and apparently you are more likely to die in a car crash than a plane crash! (does that help???)
      Thanks, you are brave Im sure a helicopter must be even worse!

Lol to the car crash thing - I think Im just a bad traveller because I DO worry about long car journeys too! You've got my mind working now - maybe I will survive the flights there and back, be nearly home with all my lovely craft goodies, planning what to do with them . . and die in a car crash?! Lol no I wont even go down that route . . think I will open a bottle of wine to knock me out this evening! Then I have only got one more sleepless night to cope with!

Comment

How about trying to concentrate on getting off the plane at the other end? I haven't really got anything to suggest (but would be more than willing to go for you if only I had a passport for my baby!). I haven't known anyone with a phobia that extreme for anything. All I can say is try to keep your mind off it as much as possible.
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

have you tried Bachs Rescue Remedy?

You can get it from High St chemists - you put a few drops on your tongue - or add to water and sip slowly.

I once spent an hour with a man at the airport who was having a panic attack - I gave him some of my rescue remedy - and some encouraging chat.

he ended up sitting next to me on the plane, my poor husband had to sit next to his wife for 6 hours.

Give it ago.

Jane
          www.just-soaps.com
          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
          FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

hiya

I used to have a real fear of flying untill i read a book called flying with out fear

the bloke is a pilot and he has a website

http://www.flyingwithoutfear.com/

he basically explains every detail of what happens in a flight and the noises that the plane makes etc, I would highly recommend it
            www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

If it's any help last time i was in the walk in centre a girl came in who was catching a flight the next day extremely stressed and they gave her a prescription for something to calm her nerves...personally i don't like taking meds unless i really have to but needs must sometimes

my mum swears by bachs rescur remedy as well though ......
              Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
              my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
              my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh I really do sympathise and reading your post sounded just like me a few years ago. I'm still not great with flying but at least I'm no longer physically ill in the airport beforehand (sorry tmi).

Unfortunately I can't give any great words of wisdom as I'm not sure what changed, the only thing I can think of is we lost a few people close to us which resulted in me having more of a life's too short attitude Actually the real change was last Jan when we were going on holiday to India - I was a wreck in the run up to it as I get clostrophobic and the thought of 11 hours cooped up in a plane was almost too much for me however I really wanted that holiday. Somehow I managed to convince myself that the flight was actually part of the holiday and I guess the fact we got a really cheap upgrade to seats with more legroom and a choice of meals did help

I was amazed at how calm I felt during the flight compared to usual and when we next flew this Jan (Easyjet to Lanzarote) I again convinced myself the holiday had started as soon as left the house and I was even calm on the drive down to Gatwick - unheard of for me!!!

Admittedly I still grab hubby's hand til my nails draw blood whenever I hear 'strange' noises and tears tend to fall (mine not his ) but as soon as the noises stop I calm right down again and this year even managed to sleep through most of the flight
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I'm with you...

I have to take something to make me goofy - and I have never been on a flight longer than 3 hours!! I just have to be practically knocked out. It's the fact that there's nothing under the plane. And a fear of heights. My flying mantra - Oh God, oh God, oh God...

I would have to be out cold to fly over the ocean.
                  I always thought that we could take a boat to the UK...sticking close to the coast and going up along Canada and over to Greenland ... I am afraid of drowning, so I would wear a life vest the entire time, but then, the water is real cold up that far north and I would probably get hypothermia, but they say it's not such a bad way to go...???

Then, how would I get to Europe from the UK??? NO WAY am I going through that chunnel thing, though my youngest daughter has been through it twice...

Big bridges - high...omigosh!! I can barely drive over them - I have to get in the inside lane...and I go real slow and everyone honks and shouts bad words....

So I vote you get something really nice to pop when you board the plane...

BTW, if it crashed, you would not still be in the bathroom...so don't worry about that...there would not be a bathroom....

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
                    I have to take something to make me goofy - and I have never been on a flight longer than 3 hours!! I just have to be practically knocked out. It's the fact that there's nothing under the plane. And a fear of heights. My flying mantra - Oh God, oh God, oh God...

I would have to be out cold to fly over the ocean.
                    I always thought that we could take a boat to the UK...sticking close to the coast and going up along Canada and over to Greenland ... I am afraid of drowning, so I would wear a life vest the entire time, but then, the water is real cold up that far north and I would probably get hypothermia, but they say it's not such a bad way to go...???

Then, how would I get to Europe from the UK??? NO WAY am I going through that chunnel thing, though my youngest daughter has been through it twice...

Big bridges - high...omigosh!! I can barely drive over them - I have to get in the inside lane...and I go real slow and everyone honks and shouts bad words....

So I vote you get something really nice to pop when you board the plane...

BTW, if it crashed, you would not still be in the bathroom...so don't worry about that...there would not be a bathroom....
                    awww bless big cyber hug for you Grammie (((((((((((((( ))))))))))))))
                    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
                    my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
                    my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

you poor thing!
                      try to keep busy till then and not worry - it sounds like the rescue remedy works well so might be worth a go. hope you have a fab time (I'm so jealous!)

Comment

Spare a though for my poor hubby, he's on his way back from Australia and by the time he lands will have spent the best part of 36 hours on planes! Mind you he is in the RAF so he's used to it, bit of a bus mans holiday lol!
                        Karen
                        www.angelicfolk.co.uk
                        Bespoke clothing for your little angels
                        http://angelicfolk.etsy.com
                        http://www.facebook.com/#!/angelic.folk?ref=profile

Comment

fear

Thanks, I had an anxiety attack just writing that post!

Comment

It's worth it. We went to Florida for Easter and I survived 3 take offs and landing each way. I'm okay when up there just don't like going up much. Actually a lot better since we went to New Zealand we were in the air so long I got bored.
                            Promise yourself something extra nice for when you get there and concentrate on that. Like so many pounds to purchase lovely stuff and make a list. Although if you are on an airbus the choice of films is great, that is the great bit about long haul, you get your own monitor and control. I watched Murphy and me and wished I hadn't, the Duchess was good as was the Millionaire one. I'll take your seat anytime I really, really loved Florida.

lol

Di.

Comment

I can empathise with you. I am the same - fortunately i am limited to take off and landing!! I look at the planes coming down and think how lucky they are to get down safely!!

Wish i could offer you a miracle cure!! I would definately check out the link on flying that gbell posted!

You just have to remember that flying is the one of the safest forms of transport. The planes are tested and checked rigourosly.It's the cabin crews lives at stake too if something goes wrong so they are hardly going to slack on any checks! The pilots are highly trained and have been flying for years and years without incident so there is no reason this flight should be any different!! AND you have all those lovely craft shops to look forward to at the other end!!

Good luck!

Jo
                              x
                              www.alongcamejo.squarespace.com

Comment

Working...
                              X