Eeeewwww maggots - advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eeeewwww maggots - advice please

I've just put some rubbish in the wheelie bin and thanks to the wonderful fortnightly bin collections there were loads of maggot inside - eeewwww yuck!!! In the summer I do try to keep out of date food in the fridge until it's nearly collection time to prevent it sitting in the sun for over a week but it's not always possible - anyone got any suggestions on how to get rid/killing them short of powerwashing the bin...which won't work when we've got a weeks worth of rubbish in it? Would drowning them in disinfectant be the best bet?
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

maggots

Can you find some fly predator wasp larvae somewhere over there, most likely online? They come in a plastic pouch, and start hatching out upon arrival, well, within a few days, and you shake them out onto the fly attractive area. The larvae and pupae eat the maggots and morph into little wasps that don't sting you...and lay more eggs in the maggoty areas...and so you've got a good cycle going for the area!

Comment

Nice description there cosmic grammie!

That happened to our bin one summer... I remember spraying the bin all over inside and out with that Cillit Bang cleaning spray as its all that was in the cupboard at the time but it worked. You could also use bleach!

I'm glad I wasn't eating when I read this lol

Comment

Can't help I'm afraid. The only contact I've had with maggots is when the students bring them in for their projects. We then feed the excess to the scorpions/geckos, probably a lack of both where you are!
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
          I've just put some rubbish in the wheelie bin and thanks to the wonderful fortnightly bin collections there were loads of maggot inside - eeewwww yuck!!! In the summer I do try to keep out of date food in the fridge until it's nearly collection time to prevent it sitting in the sun for over a week but it's not always possible - anyone got any suggestions on how to get rid/killing them short of powerwashing the bin...which won't work when we've got a weeks worth of rubbish in it? Would drowning them in disinfectant be the best bet?

Why not phone your EHO - it is a council problem after all

Jane
          www.just-soaps.com
          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
          FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

lions and tigers and maggots, oh my!

Originally posted by C Hupfield Ceramics View Post
            Nice description there cosmic grammie!

I'm glad I wasn't eating when I read this lol
            Indeed! But you don't see the wasp larvae and pupae like you see the fly maggots...eek, makes me think of The Wrath of Khan....

Once I went out on garbage day and grabbed the trash cart handle and headed up the drive...sudden;y felt ticklings on my hand and arm...usually means fire ants...but it was MAGGOTS!!! I was running so fast back to teh outside faucet, and making gurgly choking sounds and kind of turning flips...my son said he thought i was having a fit....well I WAS!!!!

Comment

I remember the good old days, she says, leaning on her walking stick, when we had steel dustbins and if that happened we just set light to it.
              Carol
              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                I remember the good old days, she says, leaning on her walking stick, when we had steel dustbins and if that happened we just set light to it.
                *pulls out her zimmer frame* I remember those days too

I was going to suggest bleach - lots of
                www.corrigancards.com

A mind is like a parachute........it only functions when open

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
                  Why not phone your EHO - it is a council problem after all
                  I have a feeling they just tell you that it's your responsibility. I seem to recall last summer there was something in the local paper about them refusing to collect the bin of some poor old boy in his 80's cos there were maggots all over it.

Think I'm going to try the detergent method, cosmic grannie's suggestion sounds like the kind of method my mum would use but I want them gone now.

Sorry to those who got put off their tea by this thread...if it's any cosolation I seriously was put off too
                  Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

maggots

Just don't ever read The Dante Club ...

Comment

it happens here sometimes and what I do is spray fly spray into the bin each time I open it and then once the rubbish is emptied I do the bleach wash out.
                      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

We had some this week for the first time ever. The only reason I knew was they were escaping out of the top of the bin and providing our robins with a feast!
                        LC's Beads
                        http://www.freewebs.com/lcsbeads
                        http://www.lcsbeads.folksy.com
                        http://www.lcsbeads.misi.co.uk
                        http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...?v=wall&ref=ts

Comment

I have had this problem a couple of times becasue of the the way the sun warms the side of the house - unfortunatly there is nowhere else to put the bin.

I normally boil the kettle and pour that in and use fly spray. Beach, oven cleaner and weedkiller have all worked too!

I think last year some councils near us had extra collections in the summer becasue of this type of thing, (my hubby got soem extra shifts driving the bin lorry on a saturday - not possible this year as he has 'gone digital' with his tacco). Maybe you could enquire if there are any extra bin collections scheduled for the warmer months.

Laura x
                          http://lilacstarcrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ewww, yucky, I agree. Any kind of thing-killer disinfecty-type spray should do the job...
                            Cheers,
                            Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                            Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Nasty problem.. and EHO wont do anything about it.. nor will bin men collect it sometimes..

rather than adding liquids to your refuse, I would suggest one of the powder based grub killers from the garden centre.. then you dont get fermentation and smells if the bin gets warm??

If you were really paranoid, I would add a vapona fly killer block.. in case the maggots progress to flying beasties..

Our Council reccommend double bagging food waste.. and I do tend to do that-- put scraps in a small bag first, then in the swing bin before it goes to the wheeelie.. You can also get wheelie bin liners which save you washing the bin out, though not exactly environmentally friendly

Comment

Working...
                              X