My New Traditional Clogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Traditional Clogs

I've been to Cricieth today to pick up a pair of clogsfrom Trefor Owen, one of the few traditional clog makers in the UK.

The design is the same as an old pair of clogs he found in Llanrwst and they are unusual as clogs were usually lace-up or clasp fastened; he's since seen a pair in Llanystymdwy (birth place of Dafydd Lloyd George) and is coming to the conclusion that this design is exclusive to North Wales.

He is one of the few clog makers in the Uk who make their own soles (usually sycamore) although there are others who buy the soles from Walkleys clogs - the sole remaining clog factory.

Trefor doesn't have a website - other cloggers who do are:

Jeremy Atkinson on the Welsh borders and Phil Howard in Stockport. I have some clogs from Jeremy but haven't yet had any from Phil; I also have clogs from other makers who have either died or stopped making clogs.

There's clog maker in Dumfries area and we're going on hols to Ayreshire next week so I may get a chance to call in - long way to go for a fitting though!
    ElaineJ soap and other stuff
    website
    blog

They look lovely but are they really comfortable? I have always thought clogs would be hard to walk in because of the thick wooden sole.

They do look like they will last a lifetime though!

I shall have to look out for some when I'm in Wales in August!
    Diane
    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Very nice! They are made beautifuly!

Do they clip clop though? They look a bit quiet to me...
      Sarah

Comment

I have always thought clogs would be hard to walk in because of the thick wooden sole.
        No problem walking as the sole is curved to fit the normal foot action.

(Trefor is in Cricieth on the Lleyn, N.Wales - he doesn't sell to shops)

Do they clip clop though? They look a bit quiet to me..
        They don't flip-flop like backless clogs! (and don't have irons on the sol so I can't do "sparking clogs")
        ElaineJ soap and other stuff
        website
        blog

Comment

They don't flip-flop like backless clogs! (and don't have irons on the sol so I can't do "sparking clogs")[/quote]

ahhh no clip clipety clop on the stairs for you then
          Sarah

Comment

They look lovely... and it's great to hear of people carrying on such traditions

Comment

Working...
            X