Ah, bless!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, bless!

My daughter has been in bed for an hour now but I have just been in her room to put something away and she sat bolt upright , with a bit of a crazed look in her eye telling me about some card making ideas she can't wait to do!!
    She was bought a scrapbook for her 8th birthday recently which has turned into card making. She has been spurred on immensly by the lovely lady who owns a little craft shop near us who let her have some of her old magasines for ideas and even a new one from the shop with some bits in to get her started all for free!!
    I was gobsmacked and my daughter is over the moon. Just sometimes someone does something REALLY nice and you realise the world is a pretty nice place after all.
    My daughter has already raided my ribbon, lace and buttons.... and has a top secret fathers day card on the go.
    It's really nice to see her so excited and I'm sure her lucky shopping trip had quite a bit to do with her enthusiasm.
    *I Love Handmade*
    www.littlemillie.folksy.com
    www.urbancraftdesigners.etsy.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlemillie/

I hope the Father's Day card is low on lace & ribbon, but how exciting! It's great when they get the bug for something 'practical' like that
    "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
    Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
    http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

...that's so lovely! how exciting that you can do your crafting together!
      i can't wait to do things like that with my little girl (i have a while to wait, she's only 2 next month!)

Comment

What a lovely story. Once again faith in human nature is restored after some of the awful tales we see here sometimes. Good on your little craft lady. A few more years and your daughter will be nicking your spot on the forum. lol.
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

How cute! The crafting bug has bitten early. I am so jealous as I don't have a daughter to share ribbons and glitter and all things sparkly with. Although my son (11) loves making things ' he works alone' on mainly mechanical, remote controlled guy things
          Terry xxx
          You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
          Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Ha ha that's quite funny. Can just picture the scene of her junping up with some mad idea!
            View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

That's a lovely story on three counts,

1. There are good people about who are not money orientated (although having given your daughter freebies you are more likely to return at some point to buy!)

2. That your daughter is really into craft

3. That you can enjoy crafting together.

Strangely enough I had a similar experience when my daughter (10) came downstairs last night waving a piece of paper at me, it was some ideas for a mosaic for me to do!!!! (might get her to do it herself as she has done some in the past)

Perhaps we should have a junior members section for all our budding crafters to get together!
              Diane
              Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post

1. There are good people about who are not money orientated (although having given your daughter freebies you are more likely to return at some point to buy!)
                There a few little girls and boys that come into the shop regularly and I'll often let them try out some punches or magic motifs that I'm using and give them the end result to take away. To see them stare at me wide-eyed while I'm crafting and then to see them so chuffed when they've made something themselves is so sweet - it also leaves mum to browse in peace . Daisy, the 9 year old daughter of one of the other shopkeepers comes in a couple of times a week now after school and asks to rumage through my craft box and together we'll often create a card if I'm not too busy.

Admittedly Daisy will often come in and spend her pocket money here but that's not why I do it, I enjoy crafting and it feels rewarding when you can pass that on
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

It's true, you can't beat the look on a child's face when they have made something themselves. I just wish I could bottle it! Those are the moments that I cherish
                  Diane
                  Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Strangely enough I had a similar experience when my daughter (10) came downstairs last night waving a piece of paper at me, it was some ideas for a mosaic for me to do!!!! (might get her to do it herself as she has done some in the past)

Perhaps we should have a junior members section for all our budding crafters to get together![/quote]

Haha, My little sister has just turned 13 and is forever designing 'farout' dresses and outfits for me to make her. The joke was on her when she recieved a sewing machine for christmas, now she can make all the wonderful outfits for herself - she hasn't started yet.......

The junior crafting section is a really good idea actually, With regards to my daughter, I don't know a great deal about card making/scrabooking to help her but if she could log on and swap ideas and info with other young crafters i'm sure I would never get on myself again!!

Also my younger sister spent the best part of a week on the phone and emailing me for instructions on how to make her first handbag (which looks great on the pic she sent me)
                    *I Love Handmade*
                    www.littlemillie.folksy.com
                    www.urbancraftdesigners.etsy.com
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlemillie/

Comment

Originally posted by urbancrafters View Post
                      My daughter has been in bed for an hour now but I have just been in her room to put something away and she sat bolt upright , with a bit of a crazed look in her eye telling me about some card making ideas she can't wait to do!!
                      She was bought a scrapbook for her 8th birthday recently which has turned into card making. She has been spurred on immensly by the lovely lady who owns a little craft shop near us who let her have some of her old magasines for ideas and even a new one from the shop with some bits in to get her started all for free!!
                      I was gobsmacked and my daughter is over the moon. Just sometimes someone does something REALLY nice and you realise the world is a pretty nice place after all.
                      My daughter has already raided my ribbon, lace and buttons.... and has a top secret fathers day card on the go.
                      It's really nice to see her so excited and I'm sure her lucky shopping trip had quite a bit to do with her enthusiasm.
                      Your story really made me smile... it's lovely to hear of youngsters having enthusiams for something practical and rewarding that doesn't involve sitting playing computer games, as so many of them do these days.

I hope your daughters crafty enthusiasm continues and I'm sure a junior crafters section would go down really well on the forum... it would be great to see the creations of these very talented children

Comment

A story like that restores your faith in human beings
                        Janice Phoenixjewellery from

http://www.phoenixfabrics.co.uk
                        http://phoenixjewellery.blogspot.com/
                        http://phoenixbridal.blogspot.com/
                        http://bernie-bear.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                        X